A question from a lurker

Old April 1st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default A question from a lurker

On Apr 1, 8:26 am, "Morgans" wrote:
You know, a humorous thought just occurred to me.

A small camera and wireless transmitter, along with a wireless receiver and
LCD screen to match, is now available as a back-up aid for people not
comfortable backing up large cars and vans. All this for less than $100!

Something like that would make a lot of sense for a big airliner, wouldn't
it? g [on front wheels]

Hey, not so funny an idea! What about a camera for tailwheel
aircraft to see out front?? That way, they wouldn't have to do s-
turns, and they could avoid some horrible accidents.

You might just have a money-maker, Jim!

Kev

Old April 1st 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
K Baum writes:

To finally answer your question, They are used all the time (Day and
night). During SMGS operations (below 1200 RVR), some are marked with
with a "Judgemental oversteer" for the larger airplanes.

Excellent! Finally a useful answer. Thanks!

Why, are you going to fly an airplane?

Otherwise it's not a useful answer for you since you can't hurt anything
banging electrons together.

Fjukkkwit

Bertie
Old April 1st 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Kev" wrote:

A small camera and wireless transmitter, along with a wireless receiver and
LCD screen to match, is now available as a back-up aid for people not
comfortable backing up large cars and vans. All this for less than $100!

Something like that would make a lot of sense for a big airliner, wouldn't
it? g [on front wheels]

Hey, not so funny an idea! What about a camera for tailwheel
aircraft to see out front?? That way, they wouldn't have to do s-
turns, and they could avoid some horrible accidents.

Wasn't this idea discussed in great detail following the accident where a
warbird ran over a homebuilt at OSH last year?

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 1st 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

8:26 am, "Morgans" wrote:

A small camera and wireless transmitter, along with a wireless receiver and
LCD screen to match, is now available as a back-up aid for people not
comfortable backing up large cars and vans. All this for less than $100!

Where might I find one of these?
Old April 1st 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

A small camera and wireless transmitter, along with a wireless

receiver and
LCD screen to match, is now available as a back-up aid for people not
comfortable backing up large cars and vans. All this for less than

$100!

Something like that would make a lot of sense for a big airliner,

wouldn't
it? g [on front wheels]

Hey, not so funny an idea! What about a camera for tailwheel
aircraft to see out front?? That way, they wouldn't have to do s-
turns, and they could avoid some horrible accidents.

Wasn't this idea discussed in great detail following the accident where a
warbird ran over a homebuilt at OSH last year?

Yes. It was politely, but soundly, debunked be the only experienced warbird
pilot who regularly posts here.

Old April 1st 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

There are pilots here who fly large aircraft, and who therefore know the
correct procedures for taxiing, but they may be too annoyed to respond

since
they would be instructing Mxsmanic as well. IMHO, they are correct,

since
everyone who has reason to move large aircraft has access to specific
instruction.

Peter, this is a very insightful post you have made. You are wise
beyond your experience level. You are the only one so far who has made
reference to what we call the load bearing surface of taxiways. The
main reason for overstearing is to keep the MLG on this load bearing
surface.At smaller airports, it also keeps the engines over the
taxiway where there is less FOD, snowbanks, etc..
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the MX issue. He is only
one poster, and is easily ignored. The problem is all the other self
appointed aviation experts on this list that chase most experienced
people off. A good case in point is a thread I saw a few months ago
about an airline crew experiencing a near midair. This story was
obviously fabricated (The OP later admited it was), and yet the people
who pointed this out were flamed by the self appointed experts, some
even AFTER the OP admited the story was embelished. Another good
example is the threads dealing with aerodynamics. Here is where alot
of the EXPERTS beleager stuff well beyond the point of anything having
to do with the actual flying of an aircraft. When someone DOES post a
correct answer, the experts often ignore it and just keep on arguing.
For kicks I have looked at the "View Profile" function and this makes
it easy to see if a guy has ever had anything useful to add.Sadly, it
is these types who make people decide that they have better things to
do with their time.
Hope you get back to it soon.
KB

I had completely forgotten the infamous exploding transformer case. As a
former avionics tech, I must say that story had more holes than a large
block of Lorraine Swiss Cheese!

Thanks for the complement, and I will get back to flying as soon as
practical.

Peter

Old April 1st 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Bob Noel" wrote

Wasn't this idea discussed in great detail following the accident where a
warbird ran over a homebuilt at OSH last year?

Same idea, different function. That was for taildraggers who could not see
over their nose. This suggestion is for heavy metal that have the pilot way
up, and ahead of the nosewheel.

It is surprising that the major aircraft makers don't include something like
this, for a few ten thousand dollars option. g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 1st 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

8:26 am, "Morgans" wrote:

A small camera and wireless transmitter, along with a wireless receiver
and
LCD screen to match, is now available as a back-up aid for people not
comfortable backing up large cars and vans. All this for less than $100!

Where might I find one of these?

Wal-Mart, for one. It is billed as a license plate backup camera, or
something like that. It fits right over the plate bolt holes.

My son got one for easy hook-up of trailer towing. It works!
--
Jim in NC

Old April 1st 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Morgans wrote:

Wal-Mart, for one. It is billed as a license plate backup camera, or
something like that. It fits right over the plate bolt holes.

My son got one for easy hook-up of trailer towing. It works!

Best thing is it doesn't have to be HD or even SD, just so you have an
identifiable image. You can get a CMOS camera w/audio that transmits on
2.4GHz to a matching receiver, that has a/v outputs, for about $50, ordered
from Hong Kong on eBay. OK, laugh, I got one, and it works!! Just be
forewarned that you do NOT wack of the oversized coaxial connector to the
transmitter/camera that connects to a 9V battery, because that also has a 5V
regulator built in - which the assholes don't tell you, so if you downsize
to a resonable sized set of plugs, the camera gets fried... Don't ask....
Anyway, it is very easy to have a ultra compact, cheap video camera these
days... The most expensive item is the monitor, and even then you're
talking $100..

Old April 2nd 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cjcampbell

On Mar 31, 5:58 pm, "Richard" wrote:
I am not a pilot but have the greatest respect for those you are.

Most here wish to share their pleasure with non-pilots and I thank you for
your posts. But some wish to maintain an elitist group.

Actually, most of us would do almost anything to get more people
flying and interested in aviation. We have little tolerance, however,
for jerks.

The pilots I have met in New Zealand are respectful and always willing to
answer even stupid questions.

That is because most pilots remember when they were first learning.

I was introduced to flight sim in 1998 by an airline pilot who had an
elaborate setup that he said improved his skills. I lost interest after a
year or so but he maintains an expensive, powerful system. Flight Sim is not
an evil threat to real aviation and may promote an empathy for real aviation
issues.

No, it is not an evil threat. However, neither does proficiency at
flight simulation mean that you can fly a real airplane, as Anthony
claims.

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but the
elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other non-fliers
lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the Mxsmaniac
treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

When he says that he knows more than the real pilots and attacks
knowledge that we have taken years to accumulate, we tend to be
offended, yes.

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

In the US, the lines on taxiways are yellow. You try to keep them
centered (no driving on the left or right), but of course if you have
to swing wide to make a turn you do that. Airplanes are surprisingly
maneuverable on the ground and many can turn practically in their own
length. Most, of course, cannot back up. The center line marks a clear
path that is supposed to allow you to taxi free of obstructions on
both sides. Naturally, a yellow line through a ramp designed for
Cessnas might not leave enough room for a passenger jet, so it is
still up to the pilot to make sure his wingtips are clear of
obstacles. Besides, an improperly parked plane or a fuel truck (or,
heck, even a bear -- don't laugh, it happens) could also encroach on
the 'safe' zone, so even though there is a yellow line you still have
to watch where you are going. :-)