Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Old August 13th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Any Ideas on Turning off the Spammer?

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:05:59 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

As far as I can tell, these people most likely get their kicks by
reading the responses to their efforts.

Are you able to provide any evidence that what you purport actually
occurs?

Be advised that when I post a simple opinion, it's a simple opinion and
nothing else. If I'm quoting a fact, I'll give a source if asked.
I'm obviously not stating fact herea nd I'm not stating something that
requires backing up for you or anyone else for that matter.

Why do you think something someone says as a simple general comment
needs "evidence" that satisfies YOUR personal challenge?
Apparently you missed the preface; "AS far as I can tell". Is there
something about that you don't understand?
Dudley Henriques
Old August 13th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:44:05 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

Apparently you missed the preface; "AS far as I can tell". Is there
something about that you don't understand?

From what information were you doing the 'telling?'

Old August 13th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:55:47 -0700, Robert M. Gary wrote:
How does he profit by this?

How does a vandal typically profit?

About as much as a goth, I think.

;-)
Old August 13th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Dudley Henriques wrote:
I enjoyed my one post ever to a moderated group. I think it was WW2
history or something like that.
Somebody posted a question asking for fuel tank information on the P51.
I answered the post with the information, and received a notice from the
"moderator" telling me that my answer wouldn't be posted as it was
irrelevant.
Never looked again for a moderated newsgroup since that moment.

Having served (and still serving) as a moderator of a few groups, all I can
say is "Hey - I resemble those remarks!" :-)

(We're only in it for the money, power, and babes!)
Old August 13th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Hi Jim;

I'm sure, as you well know being a moderator yourself, that there are
lots of moderators out here that are motivated by charitable incentives.
They spend a great deal of time and effort trying to do a credible job
of keeping some semblance of order on their forums; much of it
unappreciated by many.
My experience was unfortunate. It did however turn me away from thinking
of moderators in a positive vein and more into the negative side of the
equation.
Who knows; I might give it another shot down the line.
But getting back to the initial topic of a moderator for this group;
I'll tell you in all honesty; with all the "personalities" we have on
this forum considering pilots, their diversified backgrounds and the
natural egos (mine not withstanding :-), I wouldn't want to take on that
job for all the tea in China :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old August 13th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:44:05 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote in
:

Apparently you missed the preface; "AS far as I can tell". Is there
something about that you don't understand?

From what information were you doing the 'telling?'

For Pete's sake Dighera; give it a rest will you? This is Usenet. Nobody
here gives a rat's ass what I think or what you think or what anyone
else thinks for that matter. Just post your opinions and stop bugging
people to "prove" this and "prove" that.
DH
Old August 13th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,sci.crypt
alexy

Testing a nfilter rule.
Old August 13th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-08-13 04:01:00 -0700, "Kyle Boatright" said:

I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

Ignore the sporgers. About half a dozen news groups that I subscribe to
got hit with sporge threats from someone purporting to be Supernews.
(Shame on Supernews if they were the ones who really made these
threats.) Only one news group had people post responses to the threat
-- rec.aviation.piloting. And that is the only news group that got
sporge flooded.

Get a clue, guys. The sporgers are harvesting your names from your
do. Next thing you know "Jay Honeck" will be posting 'the fat flings
west of the nile milk cows" on some random news group, just because he
replied to the original sporge threat.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old August 13th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-08-13 10:55:47 -0700, "Robert M. Gary" said:

On Aug 13, 4:01 am, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
I'm seeing a huge number of spam postings in this group. I'm sure they are
from a bot, but since the address keeps switching, I don't know how to block
the messages in OE.

Suggestions?

I don't understand what the purpose of the spammer is. How does he
profit by this?

-Robert

It is possible they want to push you into using news servers that
filter their attacks. Supernews, for example, might be behind this
attack. Either they, or someone claiming to be them, urged switching to
Supernews before the attack.

There are people who paint the "Mona Lisa." There are people who paint
mustaches on the "Mona Lisa." Sporgers are the latter.

Old August 13th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:46:41 -0700, C J Campbell wrote in
2007081313464116807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom:

Ignore the sporgers. About half a dozen news groups that I subscribe to
got hit with sporge threats from someone purporting to be Supernews.
(Shame on Supernews if they were the ones who really made these
threats.)

Which is more likely?

A. Someone with a resentment against Supernews uses their
name as part of a flood attack on sci.crypt.

B. Supernews, one of the largest and best news services
in existence, decided to sign its name to a flood attack
so that everyone would despise them.

I am a paying customer of Supernews and know which case
seems more likely to me.

Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.