Run In With Mr. Edwards

Old August 23rd 04, 12:36 AM
Jeremy Lew

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:%F9Wc.69882$TI1.15818@attbi_s52...
While I share some of your distaste for Mr. Kerry, CJ, I think you've

taken
your point "a bit" too far. Kerry is (or, at least, was) an honorable

man,
and I wish him the best in the upcoming election.

He "was", until the tragic inconvenience of you having to sit in an FBO for
an hour? What narcisistic bull****.

Old August 23rd 04, 12:44 AM
Gene Seibel

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:p91Wc.21556$9d6.17529@attbi_s54...

Jokingly I commented on the criminal nature of that last landing (which
netted me a swat to the head :-), but wondered aloud just what the heck
could justify the expense of 30 - 40 vehicles and crew...

...and then we remembered the season, and where we were. It HAD to be a
presidential election-related visit of some sort -- but who?

Mary had quite specifically grilled Flight Service about TFRs, and had been
told there were none. DSM approach mentioned nothing, either, so we were
fairly certain that it couldn't be the President. The fact that the cops
were eying us warily, but otherwise ignoring us, seemed to reinforce this
notion.

This left the Kerry/Edwards campaign as the primary suspects, and we were
not to be disappointed.

Fear not Jay. In 2 1/2 short months Iowa will once again be nothing
more than "fly-over country" to these guys.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html
Old August 23rd 04, 12:55 AM
B. Jensen

Jay,

Is it safe to say you will be voting Republican?? :-)

BJ

Old August 23rd 04, 12:58 AM
B. Jensen

Jay,

Next time show up dressed like a middle east citizen. They would
probably leave you alone... because we all know it's not NICE or PROPER
to profile....

Sharing your disgust,

BJ

Jay Honeck wrote:

They should have shot the lying, treasonous war
criminal a long time ago. He betrayed his country, he betrayed everyone

who

served in Vietnam, he met with enemy leaders, he deliberately killed

babies

and then justified by claiming in Congressional testimony that everyone

else

was doing it

While I share some of your distaste for Mr. Kerry, CJ, I think you've taken
your point "a bit" too far. Kerry is (or, at least, was) an honorable man,
and I wish him the best in the upcoming election.

I don't want this to become a "bash Kerry" or "trash Bush" thread. What we,
as pilots, need, is to discuss intelligent, constructive ways to influence
our government officials so that ridiculous crap like this doesn't happen to
more and more pilots.

I'm all for logical, sensible security strategies for our presidential
candidates, but what they did to my family was just stupid. We weren't a
threat, and we couldn't have become a threat. If they THOUGHT we were
potential threats, they could have escorted us to our plane, and searched
it. They could have had the FBO guys tow my plane to the OTHER FBO on the
OTHER side of the field, and we could have departed from there. (Those
planes were coming and going freely throughout this episode.)

They had a myriad of options, all of which they chose to ignore. The only
thing that satisfied them was my complete immobility, which is no different
than treating me like a suspected criminal.

And I resent it.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:02 AM
Jay Masino

Chuck wrote:
True, but why does a *candidate* need all of the protection paid for by the
tax payers?

Because, once they've been given the candicacy by their party, they're
too big of a target for any nutcase (or terrorist group) who wants to
effect our election. That's the reason that they're afforded Secret
Service protection. It makes sense. Kerry and Edwards have very little
say in the situation. One thing they *do* have a say in is whether they
request a moving TFR over them. The Kerry people have NOT requested that,
so we've not been annoyed by additional TFRs related to them.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old August 23rd 04, 01:08 AM
Icebound

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
.....snip..... Factor in the cost of transportation,
and you're into five figures, easy -- all for just ONE crummy little

speech,
given by a V.P. candidate!

You're sure willing to **** this kind of money away protecting a
vice-presidential wannabee -- and you're sure cavalier about our freedom

of
movement.
--

Personally, I don't exactly understand why presidential candidates in the
USA campaign in person anyway, given that they all load up the live audience

For all the difference it will make on election day, they could all make
their speeches from an underground studio inside the Colorado Mountains.

Old August 23rd 04, 02:09 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

They had a myriad of options, all of which they chose to ignore. The only
thing that satisfied them was my complete immobility, which is no
different
than treating me like a suspected criminal.

And I resent it.

Just be glad you don't live in an area subject to repeated TFRs and other
restrictions. Those of us in such areas have been raising the alarm for
quite some time but until you get a small taste of what it is like you
really can't understand the feeling.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:05 AM
Bob Noel

In article Re9Wc.39273$Fg5.12500@attbi_s53, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Honestly, the political class -- on BOTH sides of the aisle -- are
getting
waay too big for their britches.

They got way too big for their britches years ago.

cripes, we have to treat lousy stinkin' staffers like they
are VIPs. (-{

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"
Old August 23rd 04, 03:07 AM
Bob Noel

In article Gj9Wc.212654$eM2.14888@attbi_s51, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Couldn't you or Mary just do three quick patterns (full-stop) and be
legal
to fly at night?

Sure, but that would be terribly impractical.

would beat the heck out of staying the night.

It was rapidly approaching dusk, with no known end to our delay. To get
night current means waiting until complete darkness,

no. You have to wait for one hour after sunset.
darkness has nothing to do with it. (or have I misread 61.57?)