The next attack (On Topic)

Old July 11th 04, 06:01 PM
Icebound

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
You make several good points, Roger -- but I didn't seen any viable
alternatives in your post.

If we aren't to fight back, for fear of creating more terrorists, what

are
we to do?

To get an idea of what we're up against, i suggest reading the following

link:

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0407020030.asp

The problem is hugely more complicated that that.

If you want to read something that is actually helful to this debate, try:

http://www.nupi.no/IPS/filestore/Root_Causes_report.pdf

This is a report from an international Conference on terrorisim in June 2003
in Oslo, and included American and Israeli particpants, among others.

You need to read the whole thing, but the finding on "religion" as a basis
of terrorism as quoted from the report:

"Suicide terrorism is not caused by religion (or more specifically Islam) as
such....
Many suicide terrorists around the world are secular, or belong to other
religions than Islam. Suicide terrorists are motivated mainly by political
goals –
usually to end foreign occupation or domestic domination by a different
ethnic
group. Their “martyrdom” is, however, frequently legitimised and glorified
with
reference to religious ideas and values."

Old July 12th 04, 01:07 PM
Wdtabor

In article le.rogers.com,
"Icebound" writes:

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0407020030.asp

The problem is hugely more complicated that that.

If you want to read something that is actually helful to this debate, try:

http://www.nupi.no/IPS/filestore/Root_Causes_report.pdf

This is a report from an international Conference on terrorisim in June 2003
in Oslo, and included American and Israeli particpants, among others.

You need to read the whole thing, but the finding on "religion" as a basis
of terrorism as quoted from the report:

I read it. It is just the usual apologist, 'it has to be someone else's fault'
claptrap.

It can be reasonably argued that Islam, in and of itself, is not the cause of
terrorism, but the religion is uniquely succeptable to being siezed upon by
facist ideologues and used as the unifying identity that a fascist expansion
requires.

Muslim holy literature, particularly Sura 9:29, preaches a superiority, and
worse, an entitlement, attached to believers. The Koran itself authorizes
conversion by the sword for pagans and idolators and demands tribute from
'people of the book' (Christians and Jews) for living at peace within Muslim
spheres of influence.

Add to that the lack of a Muslim 'Pope' to settle religious questions, and any
fascist ideologue can waive the Koran and call for Jihad against some presumed
infidel offense and there is no one to state absolutley that he is wrong.

Look around the world and point to a single place where a Muslim theocracy
lives at peace with a weaker non-Muslim neighbor. You can't, there isn't one.
The UN tracks over 130 trouble spots where recurring political violence is a
problem. 6 do not involve Muslims. Are those all cases of discrimination
against Muslims? Are the Phillipines subject to terrorism because they somehow
interferred in Palestine?

The West in general, and the US in particular, tends to introspection, and
looks inward for the source of all wrong. We always ask "What did we do wrong
to deserve their hatred?" Muslims never ask that question. In any dispute, they
are right BECAUSE they have submitted to the will of Allah and we are wrong
because we have not. Understand that one thing and you can understand our
enemy.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL