Headset Misfortunes

Old February 5th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default OT: was Headset Misfortunes, now: hearing aid recomendations

Morgans wrote:
"T. McQuinn" wrote

My youngest is hearing impaired and wears behind the ear hearing aids.
We originally intended to have him turn off the aids, crank up the
intercom, and then turn down the volume on the other headsets. It turned
out that he did not require more volume than the rest of us and does
nothing more that turn off the aids. And his impairment is fairly
serious. With luck the same may work for you!

Hopefully.

I had someone tell me that the behind the ear type work much better than the
in the ear type. I have to admit that I have a hard time understanding that
being possible. Also, I am concerned that they will fit nicely inside all
the different brands of ear cups.

All that aside, I really do want the best performance for everyday life.
I'm very tired of always asking, "what?" and everyone around me is tired of
repeating everything. I have found that I have become a lip reader, in
part, and have even more problems when the speaker is not facing me.

Does anyone care to offer any of their observations on what works for them,
and particularly help solve the "in the ear-behind the ear" debate?

Partially, this has all been driven home by the fact that I became a
grandfather this weekend. I swear, I'm too young to be a grandfather, but I
guess my daughter didn't feel that I was! I guess at 27, it was time for
her to start her family, and with a great guy, too. I am blessed.

It was a real life changing experience. Both my kids are my adopted step
children, and although they were very young when their biological father
died and I adopted them, I had never gotten to experience the whole
childbirth thing. My daughter was gracious enough to grant my request to be
involved in the delivery, and all I can say is WoW! How can anyone not be
substantially affected by such an experience!

I still am walking on cloud nine, and everyone is doing great!

Congratulations! Grandkids are fun. If I had know how much, I would have
had them first.

I am no expert, but my wife worked for a ENT for 18 years as a RN. She
made comments that the behind the ear aids were better. However, I would
suggest you get with your ENT and discuss your lifestyle and what is
best for you. Because,,,, you want to hear your grandkids say "Grandpa
Jim, please take me flying." That's what my grandson says.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

A different headset john smith Piloting 10 December 15th 06 11:55 PM
ANR headset - which one?? Ol Shy & Bashful Rotorcraft 2 December 21st 05 01:05 AM
ANR headset - which one?? B4RT Rotorcraft 0 November 16th 05 03:44 AM
Headset Ingo Wolf Piloting 12 September 2nd 04 05:38 AM
Best headset? Hankal Piloting 12 July 22nd 04 05:47 AM