Flight to Florida -- The Cure for Winter

Old March 31st 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default XM and VFR/ IMC

"Dan" wrote:

My strong recommendation is for every CFI to file IFR on a cruddy day
for one short XC and let his/her charge see what IMC is all about.

Hear, hear.

What's appalling is that it never happens for many instrument students,
either.

As to the XM WX thing, I've got it, use it and love it. I don't imagine
that it makes me immune to getting killed by a CB, though. Anyone who
launches blind with the intention of playing video games with the weather is
a statistic looking for a crater.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old March 31st 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Max

Default Flight to Florida -- The Cure for Winter

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Dan wrote in
:

On Mar 30, 10:40 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

That's funny. I just flew my family transcontinentally 2500 miles in
a single-piston-engine spam-can, all VFR, over a six day period,
during the most weather-variable time of year, using the best
technology available -- and you're saying that using this technology
makes me a "crayola-viator"?

You certainly are a Crayola-viator if you simply followed the magenta
line and avoided the yellow and the red.

Do those colors *mean* anything to you?

Dude -- I *design* new technologies for the US Navy in my current
engineering job.

BUT -- and please read carefully -- VFR or IFR pilots who cannot
already "know" in their heads what the XM is displaying are poor
pilots who lack the understanding of weather required to fly cross
country.

Exactly. All those toys are tools to be used to expand that picture, not
replace it. We're seeing more and more tits like this in the profession
and it scares me. When they're with me its fine, since I can smack then
when they're doing something I don't like, but a lot of them are left
seat now and the guy in the right subscribes to the same sort of thing.
The nav side is even more scary, IMO. I can clearly see situational
awareness decreasing as the pink string takes over completely. Guys are
starting to slavishly feed the boxes to make the pink string do what
they want without any real idea of where it is taking them in real
terms. This is basically what caused the Cali accident.

You two need to get with Evelyn Wood for either a refund or a refresher.
Your reading speeds seem ok, but your comprehension skills suck worse than
your attitudes.

Old March 31st 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Max

"Maxwell" luv^2^fly^99@^cox.^net wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
"Jay Honeck" wrote in

The XM -- as GPS -- should simply confirm what you already know.

I have re-read this absurd line a dozen times, and can find
absolutely no merit in any part of it.

It's because you're an idiot. Don't worry about it. Be happy.
Go play with your flight sim.

Doesn't the pathetic little narcissist inside you just love it when
people kill file you.

Yep,. BTW, was that a question? You forgot the question mark.

You always get the last word!!!!

Yes. Yes I do.

Cool! The poster child for drunken fat-fingered dyslexics is giving lessons.

Besides, it wasn't a question.

Old April 1st 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-31, Dan Luke wrote:
"Dan" wrote:
My strong recommendation is for every CFI to file IFR on a cruddy day
for one short XC and let his/her charge see what IMC is all about.

Hear, hear.

Now, *this* is a very good idea. I'll have to discuss it with my friendly
neighborhood CFI. We'll do it in N55ZC, too, so I can find out in the
aircraft I'll actually be flying.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 1st 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Denny wrote:

Now, could ATC have vectored me in if I were a VFR pilot? Maybe...
Maybe not... By the time they vectored a confused and scared VFR pilot
the CB that pounded across the field ten minutes after we landed might
have been a real problem...

Would you REALLY have continued on if you didn't have the IR up your
sleeve? I definitely will press VFR a lot further now that I know I can
both fly successfully in the soup and also get a pop-up clearance if
needed. I was definitely a more cautious pilot when VFR only as I am
now. I suspect the same about Jay.

Matt
Old April 1st 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Dan wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:15 am, The Visitor
wrote:
When you entered IMC, why not do a 180 degree turn? Why would you
think/wait for "atc to save you? I think here in Canada PP's are still
taught to do the 180 on instruments to maintain vfr. Least they succumb
in 178 seconds....

John

US Student pilots are required to have 3 hours "under the hood" before
the PPL practical.

This is not meant to imply instrument proficiency, but rather to
provide the minimal expertise required to extricate from an
inadvertent encounter with IMC.

My instructor said it was supposed to be enough to scare me away from
getting into IMC! :-)

Matt
Old April 1st 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Mar 30, 8:01*pm, Dan wrote:

I guess it's here *-- a whole generation of pilots following magenta
lines

Whats the difference between following a magenta line on a GPS screen,
as opposed to a white needle on a CDI or a yellow needle on a HSI?

*who will now be looking to fly through green and avoid the red
and yellow.

So, without onboard weather, you're not trying to avoid red and yellow
weather spots? Before XM weather and the kind, you had to tediously
transcribe information from airborne FSS weather breifings, HIWAS,
etc. onto a map or your head or whatever to determine where adverse
weather was. Now all the busy work is removed, so all you have to do
is look at the screen and it's all there. The flying is all the same.
Your weather avoidance piloting techniques are exactly the same. It's
just that information you use comes to you more efficiently.
Old April 1st 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:50:10 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:

US Student pilots are required to have 3 hours "under the hood" before
the PPL practical.

Point me to that reg, please.
Old April 1st 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WJRFlyBoy

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 05:03:44 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:

I *design* new technologies for the US Navy in my current
engineering job.

Really? Such as and working for whom?
Old April 1st 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-01, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:50:10 -0700 (PDT), Dan wrote:
US Student pilots are required to have 3 hours "under the hood" before
the PPL practical.

Point me to that reg, please.

FAR 61.109(a)(3).
--