Stupid Pilot Tricks - Insurance Co. Trying to Back Out

Old October 7th 04, 04:45 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:20:37 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

I am reasonably sure that the Pilgrims were Puritans, but it wasn't a
necessary condition. It does not seem that Miles Standish, for
example, was very pure. Didn't he dally with Pocahontas? Or was that
John Alden? Or Priscilla? I forget.

Wrong area of the country. See below.

Matoaka was the beautiful and lively daughter of Powhatan, ruler of
the land that the English named Virginia. "Pocahontas" was her
childhood nickname, translated as "little wanton," meaning she was
playful and hard to control. Pocahontas saved the struggling Jamestown
colony from extinction twice. The first time (Dec. 29, 1607) is the
famous story that is retold in the Disney movie, Pocahontas, wherein
she saves the life of John Smith from execution by Powhatan, her
father. Powhatan proclaimed that Smith's life was to be spared, so
that he could make toys for Pocahontas. Whether that part of the story
is true or not, Powhatan apparently initiated Captain Smith into the
tribe as a subchief, feasted him, and returned him to the colony. When
Smith returned, he discovered that the colony had run out of food.
Pocahontas kept the colonists from starving to death that first
Winter, by visiting regularly with plenty of food.

Six years later, she saved the colony again (Apr. 24?, 1614) by
marrying colonist John Rolfe. A squad from Jamestown had kidnapped
Pocahontas, intending to trade her for concessions from Powhatan.
Powhatan only met enough of their demands to keep negotiations open.
During her captivity, leading colonists worked to convert her to
Christianity. One of those colonists, John Rolfe, fell in love with
her, and she with him. Pocahontas married John Rolfe, accepted
Christianity, and was baptized Rebecca. This marriage created several
years of peace between the Jamestown colonists and Powhatan's tribes.

Pocahontas' life ended on a high note, with a triumphal tour of
England (Starting June 3, 1616) as a visiting princess. This part of
her life is covered in Disney's Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World.
As she started home, English disease took her life. She was buried in
the church at Gravesend, England (Mar. 17, 1617) age 21 or 22. (Her
exact birth date is uncertain: roughly 1595.)

It would not be the first time American Indians proved susceptible to
English desease.

Corky Scott

PS, the above history brief was written by a man who claims to be a
descendent of Pocahontas.

Old October 7th 04, 05:35 PM
Andrew Gideon

Teacherjh wrote:

That information is not available to you, making it
one sided.

As soon as Amazon started their dynamic pricing, I started building a
"dynamic pricing comparison" tool. For the obvious reason, I never
finished it. But your assumption that this would be one-sided is
incorrect.

Consumers already have a number of options to compare pricing "in bulk"
(that is, over a large number of sellers). Amazon's was the next logic
step, with my tool (and I'm sure I wasn't alone in that) being the one to
follow.

Having a slight background in financial instruments which are subject to
arbitrage, I was rather looking forward to this "fight". It would have
been fun, it would have kept avid shoppers (that enjoy the "game" of
price-shopping) happy, it would have generated at least a few products
along the way...

Ah, well.

- Andrew

Old October 7th 04, 09:22 PM
Teacherjh

Consumers already have a number of options to compare pricing "in bulk"
(that is, over a large number of sellers). Amazon's was the next logic
step

That's not the issue. The information is of asymmetrical value anyway. I
might be able to find out what prices other stores will offer =me=, but I can't
find out (in bulk) what prices any given dynamic store is offering to my
neighbors. That's where my barganing power would come from. There are more
neighbors than stores. And it's not like I can make a counteroffer at Macy's.

Jose

Old October 8th 04, 10:12 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:32:25 -0400, Aviv Hod
wrote:

t's too much to say that the charge different prices for different
customers in general, but they have experimented with the idea. It
didn't go over well in their initial trials.

Well, this would explain why Amazon forbids its "Associates" (folks
who link to Amazon books etc on their websites) from ever mentioning
price. Even when there's an XML feed from Amazon (hence it's Amz
supplying the price) they are required to disclaim: Prices Subject to
Change.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org
Old October 8th 04, 10:15 AM
Cub Driver

And it's not like I can make a counteroffer at Macy's.

Sure you can! People do it all the time.

Well, I don't. I sulk and go elsewhere--usually online.