Almost saw someone crash

Old May 23rd 04, 05:31 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

And the date of Munson's death is relevant to this discussion how?

You're the one that claimed a connection between Munson's death

1979.

and GA
aircraft production in the mid 80's.

Ya think it might have had an impact 4-5 years or more later?

Old May 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

According to my source, he crashed an Ultralight.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/ha...steve-wozniak/

Here's a site that says it was a Bonanza:

http://www.woz.org/letters/general/56.html

It includes this question and answer:

Comment from E-mail:
11. Do you remember the actual Plane Crash, or just heard stories? What kind
of Plane? When did it happen?

Woz:
I had a Beechcraft Bonanza, V-tail, single engine, turbocharged, and crashed
on takeoff at Skypark airport in Scotts Valley, California, on 1981.02.07.
That airport is no longer in operation. I had 3 passengers and was flying to
San Diego to have my fiance's friend or relative design us a wedding ring. I
have memories of the events right up to moving my hand to the throttle, but
not of pushing it. It's accepted that we have to keep an event in our head,
in our short term memory, for a certain time, a certain number of seconds,
before it can be coded into a long term memory. The crash occurred just
before the memory of pushing the throttle was to become long term and
remembered. For the next 5 weeks I formed no long term memory. I'd see you
and act somewhat normal, as I had been before the crash, but if you left the
room and returned I'd have forgotten seeing you the first time.

If Wozniak says it was Bonanza that's good enough for me.

Old May 23rd 04, 05:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

ADDENDUM:

Are you referring to the scene in "Pirates of Silicon Valley"?

No, I was relying on Wozniak's statement that it was a Bonanza.

Old May 23rd 04, 05:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Ya think it might have had an impact 4-5 years or more later?

How long after Munson's crash did Cessna stop making Citations? How long
after passage of GARA did Cessna resume Citation production?

Old May 23rd 04, 05:57 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Ya think it might have had an impact 4-5 years or more later?

How long after Munson's crash did Cessna stop making Citations?

Non-sequitur. Their big ticket item could absorb a cost hit? How many cases
did they have like this one.

How long
after passage of GARA did Cessna resume Citation production?

Non-sequitur.

Old May 23rd 04, 06:02 PM
Tom Sixkiller

[...]

Well, he's half right.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=27749&key=0

Woz (IIUC) still isn't "right" since that accident.

Old May 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

Well, he's half right.

A V-tail Bonanza is halfway between an ultralight and an A36TC?

Old May 23rd 04, 06:18 PM
Bill Denton

And I didn't make any connection between the sun coming up and the fact that
it is daytime, either.

If you simply want to argue you'll have to do it with yourself. I have
neither the time or inclination to do so...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

I did not state that Munson's crash occurred in the mid 80's.

I stated that the slowdown occurred in the mid 80's and that the

slowdown
was caused in part by the Munson crash.

Stating it doesn't make it so. You didn't make any connection between the
crash and the slowdown.

We are discussing two separate
timeframes. As long as Munson's crash preceded the slowdown the exact
date of the crash is totally irrelevant.

Buddy Holly also died in a GA crash that preceded the slowdown. Did that
crash also contribute to the slowdown?

Old May 23rd 04, 06:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Denton" wrote in message

If you simply want to argue you'll have to do it with yourself. I have
neither the time or inclination to do so...

Or the ability...

Old May 23rd 04, 08:58 PM
Brad Z

If you know her name, perhaps you could look her up on the FAA pilot
registry and find her address. Send an anonymous letter sharing your
feelings and let your conscience rest. Thank God she's not an
instructor...I hope.

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
As a matter of fact, I did make a comment about flying VFR under such
terrible conditions, and her response was: filing IFR wouldn't have made a
difference. In essence this is true, since the first error was not having

briefing, the second was continuing her flight into IMC, while the third
was failing to turn around immediately.

As an aside, during the conversation with the people in the FBO, she said
she was a foot and ankle surgeon in the orthopedic department at a
prestigious medical school. However, she was unaware that I am on the
faculty at a neighboring medical school, and know most of the members of

the
department where she claimed she practiced. When I named some names, she
immediately changed the subject, and didn't appear to know even the most
prominent members of the department. I never called her on this, but

simply
walked away- she was someone that I simply did not want to associate with

in
any way.

While I generally have better things to do, I looked up the faculty on the
net, and as it turned out she was not an orthopedic surgeon as I

suspected,
but in fact was a podiatrist at a suburban hospital that is loosely
affiliated with the medical school where she claimed to practice- hardly
what she claimed.

Prior to this several pilots, instructors, and experienced mechanics tried
to bring up how dangerous her actions were, and how lucky she was that she
didn't get hurt seriously or killed. She simply didn't get the message,

and
dismissed all of these comments. All of us have probably been guilty of

some
macho bravado at times, but this was the worst case of this that I had

ever
seen. It was either total bluster, or an example of being completely
clueless.

Regardless, this attitude, along with getting caught grossly exaggerating
her job, gave me a lot of bad vibes. Several of us walked away rather than
hang around listening to her conversation and encouraging her behavior.

Hopefully she will hook up with someone who can give her some advice that
she will follow and potentially save her life.