Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

Old March 1st 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Two 14 year old boys steal plane and then crash

I think they are lucky they didnt make it to mexico. Amazing story. the
father must of tought him to fly. He even knew emergency procedures to land
in the desert. Wow on a day of bad weather, they where probably IFR part of
the flight.
This would make a good 1 hour movie.

Old March 1st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message
news
Larry Dighera wrote:

Peter R wrote:

Wasn't it reported in the article posted by the OP that the aircraft ran
out of fuel? Something is not right there.

Why?

If the aircraft really did run out of fuel, then this plus the fact that
the aircraft didn't fly very far before the engine quit implies that the
aircraft had very little fuel on the ground at Big Bear Airport.

Does it make sense to you that an aircraft sitting on the ground at an
airport surrounded by hostile terrain would have very little fuel in the
tanks? It doesn't to me.

--
Peter

Wasn't this gone over in that thread about getting fuel stolen? It's out in
the dry country, so not much worry about condensation in the tanks. He
probably tops it off just before departure, something the kid neglected to
pay attention to.

Old March 1st 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

'In California, you can get a license at 17-years-old.'

More fine reporting.

Old March 1st 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
I'd hug him like my life depended upon his next breath.

THEN I'd beat him senseless...

"And in this corner ...Kid Joey Granite."

Sorry Jay, but you're going down in the 8th.
(Vegas has you a 3:1 underdog)

Montblack
Might I recommend ...a stern look. :-)
Old March 1st 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
If your lucky in time things will change. He will realize the support that
he has from family and friends, he wont want to let them down.
Did I say hug him and tell him you love him.

And if that doesn't work, beat the **** out of him...

Old March 1st 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:01:02 -0500, "Peter R."
wrote in ::

If the aircraft really did run out of fuel, then this plus the fact that
the aircraft didn't fly very far before the engine quit implies that the
aircraft had very little fuel on the ground at Big Bear Airport.

Does it make sense to you that an aircraft sitting on the ground at an
airport surrounded by hostile terrain would have very little fuel in the
tanks? It doesn't to me.

I see what you're getting at, but your presumption relies upon a fact
that hasn't yet been divulged: that the boys knew how to switch tanks.
If the aircraft's cruise speed was 170 knots, a direct route would
have taken over 20 minutes to reach Cottonwood station.

Old March 1st 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:22:59 -0800, "Aluckyguess"
wrote in ::

He even knew emergency procedures to land in the desert.

Perhaps. On the other hand, without power, one will land regardless
of knowledge of forced landing procedures.

Wow on a day of bad weather, they where probably IFR part of
the flight.

Given a moonless night in poor weather over the desert, I'd say they
had only a minimal horizon reference.

Old March 1st 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote:

With this accident in mind, I will pose this scenario to him and ask him,
based on his forty or so years in the aircraft insurance business, whether
the damages in this case would be covered by my policy, had it occurred to
me.

I just spoke with my insurance broker, who incidentally has been in the
business since 1961.

I described this exact accident scenario and asked him, had it happened to
me would the aircraft damage be covered by my insurance company. His
answer was absolutely yes. By the way, my policy is with USAIG.

--
Peter
Old March 1st 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

would the aircraft damage be covered by my insurance company. His
answer was absolutely yes.

.... but would they then go after your son?

Jose
Old March 1st 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

would the aircraft damage be covered by my insurance company. His
answer was absolutely yes.

... but would they then go after your son?

It seems that this newsgroup is filled with rumors of subrogation, yet no
one in the four years I have been here has anyone ever provided a first- or
secondhand account of this actually happening. It is always, "a cousin of
a friend of my brother's was once sued by the insurance company for damage
to an aircraft that happened when he was a pilot." An aviation urban
legend, as it were.

With that in mind and having secondhand knowledge of individuals who
damaged aircraft but were never sued, I would answer no to your question.

Furthermore, the reason I posted my insurance broker's answer was in
response to selwaykid's claim that the insurance company would not cover
the damages in this specific accident.

--
Peter