"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 5th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default "Rolling" to ATC

Exactly. Playing.

Mxsmanic wrote:

Under what conditions, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, if any,
would you explicitly tell ATC, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator
that you are rolling, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, that is,
actually rolling on the runway for take-off, when playing with Microsoft
Flight Simulator?

I hear this used occasionally, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator,
but I don't know if there are any formal circumstances that merit it, when
playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, or what. It is
normally independent of the readback of the take-off clearance (which
precedes it), when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, although
sometimes I hear "Rolling" without a readback of the clearance, when playing
with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Old February 5th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:

In the world of simulation, the real world doesn't matter. Two
different contexts.

OK, Anthony you must have gotten your meds balanced this weekend so I am
going to use this moment of lucidity to ask you a question. If you
understand that sims and real life are two different things then why do
you insist on posting questions about sims here when there is a perfectly
good flight sim newsgroup?

Simulation _simulates_ reality, otherwise it's pure FANTASY.

Old February 5th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message
Exactly. Playing.

Hmmm...playing with himself.

Mxsmanic wrote:

Under what conditions, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, if
any, would you explicitly tell ATC, when playing with Microsoft Flight
Simulator that you are rolling, when playing with Microsoft Flight
Simulator, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off, when
playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator?

I hear this used occasionally, when playing with Microsoft Flight
Simulator, but I don't know if there are any formal circumstances that
merit it, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, or if it is just
at pilot discretion, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator, or
what. It is normally independent of the readback of the take-off
clearance (which precedes it), when playing with Microsoft Flight
Simulator, although sometimes I hear "Rolling" without a readback of the
clearance, when playing with Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Old February 5th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 5th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:

In the world of simulation, the real world doesn't matter. Two
different contexts.

OK, Anthony you must have gotten your meds balanced this weekend so
I am going to use this moment of lucidity to ask you a question. If
you understand that sims and real life are two different things then
why do you insist on posting questions about sims here when there is
a perfectly good flight sim newsgroup?

Simulation _simulates_ reality, otherwise it's pure FANTASY.

Matt, What does that have to do with the question I asked Anthony?

Old February 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

What is the name of Dagwood's wife?

Blondie.

Al G

Old February 5th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Newps writes:

Exactly. Playing.

Yes, that's what I said. What is your point?

Old February 5th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?

What are you referring to?

Old February 5th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

That provides a nice clue, doesn't it?

Not really. I don't see Phoenix Sky Harbor in either document, but
that doesn't mean that the airport doesn't exist.

Old February 5th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John Theune writes:

Because you have received no training nor have you passed any of the
testing required for the operation of a aircraft.

I haven studied communication with ATC, and that's all that is
required to participate in this discussion. I don't need any tests or
training in the use of flight controls, although I do have the latter
(albeit in simulation).

You're trying to associate one type of skill with a domain to which it
is unconnected. You don't need anything other than a book to learn
ATC communication.

In the course of my study, I've encountered pilots saying "rolling"
when taking off, even though there seems to be no formal recognition
of this phrase. I was curious as to when and why pilots choose to use
it. I don't make a distinction between simulation and real life in
this case because they are both identical in this context.

In this case you are
asking about communication with ATC which for you is also composed of
simulation users who may or may not have received any formal training
and there is just no way of knowing if they are following the same rules
as the ATC that pilots have to deal with.

As I've already explained: (1) many of the controllers in simulation
are also controllers in real life; (2) controllers in simulation
receive training very similar to that used in real life, and generally
use the same reference materials (7110.65 in the U.S., and the AIM);
and (3) my observations here come not only from simulation but also
from listening to real ATC, and from transcripts of real ATC.

Here again, you're trying to make a distinction that doesn't exist.

As you have said so many
times, you don't anything that is said on this group at face value,
therefor why should we?

I don't know. Why should you?

Casey is just making it clear to anyone who
happens into this thread without knowing your background to be wary of
anything you say as it's likely to be wrong.

You haven't explained why anything I say is likely to be wrong.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how clueless many so-called pilots are here.
They argue ceaselessly with each other, and in many cases all of the
"pilots" arguing are wrong--nobody has the right answer. Sometimes
nobody has _any_ answer, just speculation and argument.

It's puzzling because, on the one hand, it seems that the requirements
for becoming a pilot are fairly rigorous, and yet, on the other hand,
many people who claim to be pilots are severely misinformed.