Favorite panel gadget?

Old May 17th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Favorite panel gadget?

More_Flaps wrote in
:

On May 18, 12:52*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote
innews:1af38f97-0880-40ef-a297-eb9f

:

On May 17, 11:37*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
More_Flaps wrote
innews:5a213b39-2be7-4cab-80e8-6076
:

On May 17, 10:52*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote
innews:2c2cac6f-783f-4b99-b9
:

On May 16, 12:14 pm, Dudley Henriques
wrote:
HARRY POTTER wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

Dudley Henriques writes:

Not a moment's hesitation.......An angle of attack
indicator.
I can understand that. *Why are angle-of-attack
indicators so rare

in aircraft? *Is it something that is difficult to
measure? *
should think it would be far more useful than trying to
figure out what combination of speed, weight, pitch
angle, etc., is likely to produce a stall.

It's my understanding that AOA indicators are not on most
singles because there is no place to put it. The prop
creates circling air currents all through the fuselage,
making any kind of AOA indication incorrect. You can't put
it on the wing, because whenever you banked the aircraft,
the AOA would move.

This makes me wonder, do high performance aerobatic
singles, like the Extra 300 have AOA's? If so, how?

It's true the port should be placed in an area of
undisturbed airflow. This is usually out on the wing upper
surface somewhere near the leading edge but will vary from
type to type. Thus placed, prop circulation shouldn't be an
issue.

Can't say I've seen an Extra with an AOA system, but there's
no reason at all the aircraft shouldn't have one if the
owner so desired as far as I can see.
Dudley Henriques

What an SOB like myself would do flying a low wing
monoplane is tape fluff on the the upper surface to
observe turbulence variation over wing's lifting surface.
Maybe not the AoA you want, but it's a proportional
effect, and easy to see at a glance.

That's SOP filmed using X-craft during maneuvers.

You've just been demoted from half wit to 3/8 wit.

My you're in a good mood. His fluff as an AOA indicator
suggestion is so moronic I was sure he would be rated as a
complete twit. Anyway, first aero. lesson completed and enjoyed
immensly!

Good man. Didn't get sick obviously!

No way, was way too engaged for that. Found the barrel roll pretty
disorienting, I sort of had no idea where where we going... Stall
turn was a complete blast -better than a loop. Manouvers were less
than 3.5g *I did a bunch of wingovers quite smoothly *(but not very
air/ land coverage precise) and started to get my feet working...
Nice plane, seems sensitive to rudder and stick compared to a
172(!) but a certain smoothness to it.

Ooop, disregard the other.

Everyhting is more sensitve than a 172. You can take a nap in those
things!
Is it a new or old Citabria? Nice that you got so much covered in one
lesson, though!

6 years new..,

They're supossed to be a bit tighter than even a good old one. I like
the stain;ess panel on the belly as well. Makes cleaning up the burps a
bit easier! I believe spades are standard on them? We've got the STC for
our's. Never flown one with them. Be interesting to see how much they
help with stick pressures.
Old March 16th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Tina" wrote in message
I think a horn might be a good idea. Or turn signals.

There was a plane at OSH a couple years ago, can't remember the make, but it
was like a super cub turbine, and the joker put a train air horn in the
thing, running off of plenty of the bleed air...

He snuck up on me while I was directing traffic at a taxiway intersection,
and blew the thing.

I really thought I was about to be run over by the crash truck, and this was
the last seconds of my life!
It was funny, later. g
--
Jim in NC

Old March 16th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Camper

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 01:59:52 -0500, Morgans wrote:

"Tina" wrote in message
I think a horn might be a good idea. Or turn signals.

There was a plane at OSH a couple years ago, can't remember the make, but it
was like a super cub turbine, and the joker put a train air horn in the
thing, running off of plenty of the bleed air...

He snuck up on me while I was directing traffic at a taxiway intersection,
and blew the thing.

I really thought I was about to be run over by the crash truck, and this was
the last seconds of my life!
It was funny, later. g

ha
--
http://tr.im/1f9p
Old March 16th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Tina" wrote in message
I think a horn might be a good idea. Or turn signals.

There was a plane at OSH a couple years ago, can't remember the make, but it
was like a super cub turbine, and the joker put a train air horn in the
thing, running off of plenty of the bleed air...

It was a Helio Courier. It was a great example of boys and their
toys. It also had off-road truck tires and other examples of "Don't
even bother asking 'why?'".

http://www.etigerrr.com/Skypark/jay_jensen.htm
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/047270.html

I recall reading somewhere (perhaps Sport Aviation) that they took
off some of the sillyness (air horn, monster truck tires) and
returned it to a somewhat more mundane configuration.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old March 17th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"John Clear" wrote

It was a Helio Courier. It was a great example of boys and their
toys. It also had off-road truck tires and other examples of "Don't
even bother asking 'why?'".

http://www.etigerrr.com/Skypark/jay_jensen.htm
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/047270.html

Yep, that was it! Vuuury, vuuuury strange. I liked it though!
--
Jim in NC

Old March 17th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Tina" wrote in message
I think a horn might be a good idea. Or turn signals.

There was a plane at OSH a couple years ago, can't remember the make, but
it was like a super cub turbine, and the joker put a train air horn in the
thing, running off of plenty of the bleed air...

He snuck up on me while I was directing traffic at a taxiway intersection,
and blew the thing.

I really thought I was about to be run over by the crash truck, and this
was the last seconds of my life!
It was funny, later. g

Haw! Good story.

I've yearned for a big-asssed air horn on my airplane many times. Mostly
when the dweeb in front of me waits 'til he's at the hold short line to put
his flight plan in his GPS.

BRRRAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZ!

Move it, asshole!

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old March 17th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Stutzman[_3_]

Dan Luke wrote:

I've yearned for a big-asssed air horn on my airplane many times. Mostly
when the dweeb in front of me waits 'til he's at the hold short line to put
his flight plan in his GPS.

I carry a portable marine air horn (not unlike http://tinyurl.com/d6sukp) in
my plane for such situations. Lean out the window, push the button, usually
gets the offender to get his head out of the cockpit.

Best of all, its fairly cheap (for aviation) and requires no FAA
paperwork.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"