Legality of owning ex-military intercontinental aircraft.

Old August 30th 03, 08:31 PM
John Fitzpatrick

Don't forget about the congressional bill that would have allowed
the government to seize all ex-military aircraft. It was beaten back the
last time in the hopes the sponsers would rewrite it, but I understand it is
going to be resubmitted again with the original language. Hope they don't
find out, I still have my old P38 can opener (anybody else still have
theirs?).

"The demilitarization language re-emerged in 2003 despite understandings
that it would not be part of future legislation after it was removed from
similar bills in 2001 and 2002. The language would have given the Department
of Defense authority to have military surplus items, including historic
warbird aircraft, destroyed as potential threats even after the government
had sold them to private individuals. There would be no expiration to that
authority, so even aircraft sold as surplus after World War II, for
instance, would be impacted and could potentially be destroyed."

"Stephen D. Poe" wrote in message
Bill Silvey wrote:
Hiya group.

I can't recall if I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the
legal status of a privately purchased airframe like, say, a B47 or B36

(or,
heaven forbid, a B52 or Tu-95) would be presuming the owner could

refurbish
the aircraft to operational capability?

I think at least the FAA if not the USAF and more than a few other

parties
would kinda have a few reservations about someone owning an operational

bird
like that.

The B-36 restoration ran into problems with that.

To quote:
"At the conclusion of the ceremony, title to the plane was transferred
to the Air Force Museum and its custody was assigned to the city of Fort
Worth.
All six piston engines were started before the project was halted. One
engine was allowed to run for 15 minutes and operated flawlessly after
sitting idle for nearly 12 years.

Alarmed by the possibility of the plane becoming airworthy, the Air
Force decreed that work cease on the flyout effort. They explained that
the plane would be a threat to national security and would be a huge
safety hazard if allowed to operate under civilian control. Their
announced plan to repossess the bomber launched a long series of
negotiations with the City of Fort Worth who came under intense local
pressure to save the plane."
- http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/History/part1.htm

Old September 1st 03, 12:23 AM
Leadfoot

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
I'm not trying to be smarmy, but as far as the USAF is concerned, what

about
(as yet unrecovered) B52 wreckage hither and yon across the globe (SE

asia,
the one that went down near Diego Garcia during DS1 etc.)?

Well, now we're takling two uniquely different circumstances. One is USAF
donated equipment (which is always owned and loaned out by the Air Force

Museum
which is a directorate of AF/HO (Headquarters Air Force Historian). The

ones
that went down during LB II (and one a month before) were owned by SAC at

the
time of loss and the ones that went down in Laos and Thailand(I believe at
least four?? Ed?) I would imagine would still be considered US property.

As far
as the ones that went down north of 20- Latitude, I think the Articles of

War
say which ever of the combatants owns the territory, owns the wreckage.

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

I would think military aircraft losses in the ocean would be the same as
naval ship losses. You can go inside the Andrea Doria all you would like and
take anything but go inside HMS Hood, USS Yorktown or KM Bismark or god
forbid take something, and your looking at big trouble from the Gov't that
owns it.

Note: James Cameron did go inside Bismark with an ROV but he had the written
permission of the German Gov't

Old September 1st 03, 10:40 PM

"John Fitzpatrick" wrote:
I still have my old P38 can opener (anybody else still have
theirs?).

No, but I had a Walther P-38 for a couple of years once!...

--

-Gord.
Old September 3rd 03, 12:12 AM
Pete

"PirateJohn" wrote in message
Some southerners seem to have trouble grasping this fine point, but the
Yankees won the war.

Maybe. The Yankees got Newark. We got Miami Beach.

You decide

You seem to be giving a lot of it away to the Cubans, though.

Pete

Old September 4th 03, 04:11 AM
James Anatidae

"Pete" wrote in message

"PirateJohn" wrote in message
Some southerners seem to have trouble grasping this fine point, but the
Yankees won the war.

Maybe. The Yankees got Newark. We got Miami Beach.

You decide

You seem to be giving a lot of it away to the Cubans, though.

It's all part of the secret Spanish-American War Reparations Treaty. To
cover the cost of relandscaping San Juan Hill and other stuff like that.

--
Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/

Old September 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
David Lesher

"Errol Cavit" writes:

Shortly after returning to SEA, an F-111A experienced double engine
rollback after encountering heavy rain.

?double engine rollback?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 23rd 03, 04:25 AM
PosterBoy

"David Lesher" wrote in message
"Errol Cavit" writes:

Shortly after returning to SEA, an F-111A experienced double engine
rollback after encountering heavy rain.

?double engine rollback?

Accident investigators define engine rollback as: "an event in which
multiple engines experience a sudden, relatively small, and simultaneous
reduction in engine RPM--uncommanded by the crew and with no prior
indications of engine problems."

Simplest of the explanations in accidents is "air starvation," or
replacing fuel.

Cheers.

Old September 23rd 03, 05:01 AM
Matthew G. Saroff

Cub Driver wrote:

Yankees won. Duh.

That was in 1865, however. It wasn't until the 21st century that the
Confederate Air Force bit the dust.

Umm....I'm missing something....Did the CAF fold?
If so, why?
--
Matthew Saroff | Standard Disclaimer: Not only do I speak for
_____ | No one else, I don't even Speak for me. All my
| In fact, all my personalities and channeled spirits
Saroff wuz here | hate my guts. (Well, maybe with garlic & butter...)
For law enforcement officials monitoring the net: abortion, marijuana,
cocaine, CIA, plutonium, ammonium nitrate, militia, DEA, NSA, PGP, hacker,
assassinate, Osama, Al Queida, Palestinian, Daisy Cutter, 911, suicide
bomber, Taliban, George Bush is a Twinkie, Anthrax, Uranium, Thorium.

Send suggestions for new and interesting words to:
. (remove the numbers to reply)
Check
http://www.pobox.com/~msaroff, including The Bad Hair Web Page