10,500 feet is way the heck up there!

Old October 16th 03, 01:32 AM
mike regish

Very good points. I just bought my first digital. It's a Canon Powershot
A70. While not as small as the Elph, it does fit in my pocket and I take it
just about everywhere. Portability is a bigger factor than most people
realize. But there are times when it just doesn't get quite as much as I'd
like it to. What really tempts me about the Rebel is the capability of using
an image stabilized lens. While not quite as good as a gyro platform, it's
got to be a great help. Have to find out more. And I think you'll find that
for aerial shots, the clearest days are also the bumpiest. It's the nature
of the beast. It's fairly rare, at least around here, to get a clear AND
calm day at the altitudes I like to shoot from. Another thing to consider is
that with a 6 meg camera set to highest resolution (why shoot anything
less?), you're going to need a big card. My CAP unit has a Kodak 6 meg
camera with a 1 gig card in it. I think it's good for about 300 shots, but I
don't know if that's at highest res. Didn't get to play with it much. Don't
know how much a 1 gig card goes for either.

mike regish

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Canon just came out with a 6 megapixel "SLR" digital that will use all

of
the Canon lenses from their 35mm line. This includes sever image

stabilized
lenses/ I've seen it for $899 with a 55-80mm lens. That is slightly

longer
than it would be on 35mm due to the imaging chip's size. You can have
something like 50 or 60 lenses to chose from. It's the Canon EOS-300D
Digital Rebel.

That's a great deal, on a great sounding camera, but I want to throw
something in the mix he Convenience.

I used to own a Nikon SLR. All the bells and whistles, all the lenses.

The
pictures it took were stunning.

I never used it.

Well, I shouldn't say "never" -- but it was so big and unwieldy that I

never
caught that candid shot at the birthday party, or that image of the fall
colors on my way to work. It was just too danged big to be considered
"portable", and it was a major production to get it set up.

That's why we went with the Canon Elph a couple of years ago, even though
photographically there were superior choices. The danged little thing
actually, REALLY fits in your shirt pocket, has a useful little zoom lens,
easy to use controls, and takes pretty darned good pictures. (All the
pictures on our website were taken with it.)

Best of all, it's ALWAYS in my top pocket, or Mary's purse, waiting to be
used... When it breaks, I'm buying another one. (They've now got it up

4 megapixels, I think...)

Just something else to consider.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 01:40 AM
Chuck

"Michael 182" wrote in message
. net...
I know, I know - it's way OT, but I'm about to spend significant money on

digital camera, and it seems like the people in here may know more than

any
advice I'm getting from friends. I posted over on alt.photography, but it

is
a pretty quiet newsgroup.

Check out http://www.stevesdigicam.com
He has reviews, sample pics, etc from what seems like every digital camera
known to man! haha
Seriously though, give the website a shot...

Old October 16th 03, 01:50 AM
mike regish

Link doesn't work for me. I get redirected. Sure it's right?

mike regish

nk.net...

Old October 16th 03, 02:19 AM
vincent p. norris

Consider what that means if your engine quits. You have a heck of
along time to find a nice big field, and it can be miles away!

I would think that, when circling over an airport, one wouldn't bother
looking for a nice big field to land in, especially if it meant landing
miles away.

I meant, and should have said, "... if your engine quits when you're
on a cross-country--especially over mountainous terrain."

Out where Jay lives, you're over an "airport" no matter where you
are--except perhaps downtown Des Moines.

vince norris
Old October 16th 03, 02:46 AM
Chuck

"mike regish" wrote in message
. net...
Link doesn't work for me. I get redirected. Sure it's right?

Sorry... try this...

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Old October 16th 03, 05:40 AM
StellaStar

our opening webpage
at www.AlexisParkInn.com. It's really shows our position relative to the
airport and other important local attractions.

A friend asks: "and in the Amelia Earhart Suite, does the hot tub have a little
island in it...with skeletons?"
Old October 16th 03, 03:30 PM
Jay Honeck

A friend asks: "and in the Amelia Earhart Suite, does the hot tub have a
little
island in it...with skeletons?"

Hmm. We'll have to work on that...

(It's darned near big enough. The hot tub in this suite is 50% bigger than
in our other suites...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 16th 03, 04:31 PM
Paul Hamilton

If you want a pocket-sived camera with a 10X zoom, the Kodak DX6490
might be a good bet. Here is a URL (which will need cutting and
pasting:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=13807

I've found the earlier DX4900, when paired with an LCD viewer and
CrystalVue monocular, makes a good wildlife camera. I'd suspect that
the new Kodak would be even better for digiscoping.

Paul
Old October 16th 03, 05:53 PM
Don Tuite

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:30:37 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

A friend asks: "and in the Amelia Earhart Suite, does the hot tub have a

little
island in it...with skeletons?"

Hmm. We'll have to work on that...

(It's darned near big enough. The hot tub in this suite is 50% bigger than
in our other suites...)

It oughta be the suite nobody can find.

Don