report runway incursion non-towered airport?

Old February 28th 05, 03:37 PM
Joe Johnson

"GEG" wrote in message
....snip...

I guess these "officials" are just too consumed with other stuff to
worry about GA pilots safety. Maybe they listen but just go about their
business.

Is this common in other places?

....snip...

This behavior is consistent with the way the police drive. Around here (SE
New York, including New York City), the cops are the worst drivers. No turn
signals changing lanes or turning, running red lights and stop signs (the
only excuse for which is an emergency, in which the siren & emergency lights
should be on), and other offenses. One would think that they'd have some
concern for their own safety, if not others.'

Old February 28th 05, 03:40 PM
Peter R.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Totally agree. I'll take uncontrolled over non-radar Class Delta, any
day.

Do you think the problem is the tower, or the fact that they tend to have
more traffic?

Perhaps some pilots, thinking ATC has a complete handle on traffic, might
let their "see and avoid" guard down a little when flying into a towered
airport.

--
Peter

Old February 28th 05, 03:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"nrp" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'm flabbergasted at how many of these comments refer to not following
the radio procedures. Yes the Citation should have called, but most
important is that he didn't look.

We don't know that either is true. He may have used the radio, he or the OP
may have been on the wrong frequency, the OP may have had his volume down,
etc. He may have spotted the inbound traffic and felt he had plenty of
room.

Old February 28th 05, 03:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John T" wrote in message

No, radio calls are not mandatory at uncontrolled fields. Obviously
though, the citation isn't a NORAD plane, and he should have been making
calls. Wrong freq sound like it.

A NORAD plane may have been on UHF.

Old February 28th 05, 03:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Perhaps some pilots, thinking ATC has a complete handle on traffic, might
let their "see and avoid" guard down a little when flying into a towered
airport.

Yup, just as they relax their scan and rely on their radios to spot traffic.

Old February 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Joe Johnson

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

....snip...

We don't know that either is true. He may have used the radio, he or the

OP
may have been on the wrong frequency, the OP may have had his volume down,
etc. He may have spotted the inbound traffic and felt he had plenty of
room.

The OP was on the correct frequency and had no trouble hearing and being
heard on other transmissions.

Old February 28th 05, 10:21 PM
Dave Stadt

"Peter R." wrote in message
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Totally agree. I'll take uncontrolled over non-radar Class Delta, any
day.

Do you think the problem is the tower, or the fact that they tend to

have
more traffic?

Perhaps some pilots, thinking ATC has a complete handle on traffic, might
let their "see and avoid" guard down a little when flying into a towered
airport.

--
Peter

Many totally quit looking once they start talking to the tower. It's a
horrible mistake and I suspect most pilots don't know separation is not
provided in Class D.

Old February 28th 05, 10:23 PM
Dave Stadt

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message
. com...

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
I was in the middle of announcing my turn to final
when a twin took the runway, so I ammended my call to say I was going to
do a right 270 for spacing. The pilot in the twin said "no, continue on
final, I'll be out of here in no time", so I did, and he was right.

Did the pilot take the runway unannounced?

Does it make a difference?

Old February 28th 05, 10:25 PM
Dave Stadt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"John T" wrote in message

No, radio calls are not mandatory at uncontrolled fields. Obviously
though, the citation isn't a NORAD plane, and he should have been making
calls. Wrong freq sound like it.

A NORAD plane may have been on UHF.

And probably would not have been in a Citation at a nontowered airport.

Old February 28th 05, 10:30 PM
Stefan

Dave Stadt wrote:

I suspect most pilots don't know separation is not
provided in Class D.

I've always thought that you must pass a written to get your
certificate? Or do most pilots just learn the answers by heart without
understanding them?

Stefan