Where to live with soaring in mind?

Old February 19th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hunter[_2_]

Default Where to live with soaring in mind?

On Feb 18, 3:32*pm, Tuno wrote:

Dear Ted, I really am not looking for any flame, I was telling my real
life experiences. As for Idaho, Boise or Sun Valley are the only two
places I would ever choose to live in that State. I loved Boise, not
everyone does. If you shared your experiences in Idaho I really would
not care. We are sharing to help answer a question by a fellow glider
pilot. I have based my flying out of Austin, Tehachapi, Minden and
Warner Springs through the years. Each place was wonderful for glider
flying. I thought Techachapi was the best glider port and great
flying but the town is way to small for my liking (I lived in San
Diego and drove to Tehachapi on the weekends during the summer
months). Minden offers Reno, Tahoe and much natural mountain beauty.
San Diego seems to offer much in the way of everything, if you can
afford it.

I am sure there are many places that appeal to some but not others. I
stand by my comments about Texas and Austin as I lived there for two
years and the experiences I related were all true.

Best luck finding the ideal spot and once you do let us all know why
you like it.

snip I am not slamming Texas I am merely sharing my Texas
experience. /snip

If I shared my Idaho experience the same way, you would call it
slamming, or worse.

I grew up in Texas (very close to Clear Lake) and after reading your
description I wondered if there was another Austin up north of Dallas
or something. The one I visited many times was beautiful, friendly,
and to this day ranks as one of the top places I would choose to live.
(Never Houston, though.)

~ted/2NO

Old February 19th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Tom Nau" wrote in picture.

Wow! Sometimes un-happy people are just un-happy.

Tom Nau
San Antonio, TX
ASW 28

Hmmm, maybe someone should send Hunter a copy of the Beauty of Gliding
entirely free of charge.

bumper
ASH26E
Minden, NV
QV 'n MKIII

Old February 19th 09, 07:55 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagmaker View Post
If you are considering that much of scenery change, why not do it properly and move to Australia!
Best people, best gliding, great bang for US buck at the moment too.
Not to be racist, you could also try New Zulland or South Efrica as well, the change would be an eye-opener for most US residents.
For the cost of decent coffee in Washington, take a weeks holiday in Australia and check us out.

and- having spent 6 months travelling in the US ( I do love you guys, truly) the only place I was troubled was Austin, Texas. 3 cracked ribs, bruises, etc. Might have been a once-off, sure, but left more than a bad taste.

Perhaps I should return and soar there to clear up the memory!

bagger
Bagger,

I'm in the mining business and almost all of my colleagues are from Perth! Some of the best people I've ever run into. I'd love to give Australia a shot. I've read up on the soaring there and it looks great. I've even looked into immigration and have a company exploring that for me. Interesting that you shoudl bring up Australia. Only thing I would miss are the higher moutains!
Old February 20th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dr. John Ackerson

On Feb 14, 9:50*pm, tienshanman tienshanman.
wrote:
Tim,

I have always been interested in Utah but have not been able to really
assess what it's like there with a family if you are not an LDS member.
I have heard that it can be socially limiting, a bit stifling. I was
wondering if you could comment on this.

--
tienshanman

Utah is very family friendly! I live in Heber City Utah with 4
young kids. Heber is a mountain valley with majestic mountains all
around. Heber, at one time used to be the mecca of Soaring in Utah.
The soaring has decreased since the private jets from Park City moved
in. Since I trained here, I don't mind the jets. Its actually quite
a thrill to be number one on final with a Citation X as number 2 with
a Piper on crosswind in the landing pattern. Morgan is another
soaring hot spot in Utah close to Ogden. Morgan is a lot more rural
than Heber with no jets. Parowan is 3 hours away if you want a change
of scenery. Heber is a lot like Logan Utah, but we still have more jet
traffic. Cedar Valley, which is west of Provo/ Utah Lake exists for
soaring but I don't know much about it.
Utah is one of the highest in the nation for High School
Graduation rates. The schools are regarded as excellent based on SAT/
ACT Testing. Some of the more rural schools (ie parowan) sometimes
struggle a little due to the agriculture culture of the community. If
the LDS thing really bugs you, Park city is only 20 minutes away which
has very few LDS. Park City is mostly an east cost liberal democrat
refuge with high average incomes and higher taxes. It also has great
skiing. We even have a democrat rep Jim Matheson in the house. I
have a lot of friends both LDS and Non LDS and we all get along
great. Most normal non LDS people find that the LDS thing is no big
deal when they get here unless there social life revolves around the
bar scene. In general, the LDS people are very friendly and try to
be good neighbors. You will find a few that are very odd as in any
culture. Don't worry, we only have one wife and we don't dress like
pilgrims.
I only drive 5 minutes to get to the local airport. I am on tow
in the air in 30-45 minutes from leaving my house. We soar 6-7
months out of the year. We ski/ snowboard and or snowmobile the rest
of the time. The winter break from soaring really increases the joy
for spring and returning to the air. We have 3 fishing/boating lakes
less than 45 minutes away. Life gets no better if you like a strong 4
season climate with low humidity and strong thermals. Heber is only
30 minutes from great shopping in Provo or 50 minutes from Salt Lake.
It has a small town feel but is close enough to the big city that many
people commute to Salt Lake or Provo to work. The club owns 3 Grob
103's. We keep two in Heber and one in Morgan.
Property taxes are low and cost of living is low to average which
makes Utah a great place to retire, as long as you don't mind the
snow. Heber has the some of the lowest crime rates in the nation yet
most still lock there doors at night. Best of luck on your final
decision.
John Ackerson OD
736 West 100 South #2
Heber UT 84032
435-654-3140
Old February 21st 09, 03:26 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John Ackerson View Post
wrote:
[...]

Jack,

What a coincidence - just last night I was looking at Heber on google earth and reading some sites about it. Seems like a very nice place indeed! One certainly can't get much closer to the airport!
Old February 21st 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

So, almost everyone* loves where they live and thinks it's best.

*The exception being someone who really doesn't much like Texas.

This article in the NY Times today (and you know they wouldn't lie, right?)
pretty much sums it up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/gr...erville&st=cse

bumper
Minden, NV (of course)
QV and MKIII - - toys for your favorite glider.

Old February 21st 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wow! *Sometimes un-happy people are just un-happy.

Tom Nau
San Antonio, TX
ASW 28

No kidding. I hated Texas, and agree with many of the points
(Especially the humidity and the rednecks), but flying out of San
Antonio for a year, I got a few 500K flights...It just involved a lot
more sweat than it did in New Mexico. The Austin club is pretty cool,
and although I only got to visit there on a couple of occasions, I got
to fly with guys out of there quite a bit when flying out of San
Antonio and was impressed by the amount of "Team flying" and sense of
community that was there. Every place has it's good and bad points.
Me, I'll stick with Moriarty, New Mexico and be quite content, Texas
just was not for me, but I'm not "Everyone"

EX

Old February 25th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:-
[...]

tienshanman: If you're seriously considering Utah -- and why wouldn't
you -- then Heber would be an excellent choice, particularly if you
prefer living in a smaller town. The spectacular view of the backside
of the Wasatch Mountains is surely one reason the Swiss immigrants
felt at home in Heber valley. The Utah Soaring Association has two
Grob 103's stationed there, so if you don't yet own a glider, or you'd
like access to a two-seater, then it's very convenient.

However, there are advantages to living on the other side of the
Wasatch in the Salt Lake City area: easier access to the best
backcountry skiing and paragliding (which you mentioned you do), plus
all the usual advantages of a bigger town -- more cultural options,
more restaurants, better schools, more educated people, international
airport, etc. Also, the soaring site nearest Salt Lake City -- Cedar
Valley, which is only 25 minutes from the center of SL Valley -- is an
excellent XC site.

Let me know if you're coming through Salt Lake City and you want a
tour.

Jeff 7JK

Old February 26th 09, 08:45 AM
tienshanman tienshanman is offline
Member

tienshanman[/i][/color]

[...]

Jeff 7JK[/quote]

Jeff, Thanks a lot for the tips. I think Heber City looks very good indeed. There's a very good chance we'll come thru this summer to have a look. Last time I was in Utah was 1993 when I staying in SLC for several days of backcountry skiing in the canyons east of town. Logan looks fine but a bit longer drive to SLC.
Old February 26th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

On Feb 18, 2:21*pm, Andy wrote:
On Feb 18, 2:06*pm, jb92563 wrote:

I'm sure there is something bound to be pleasing what ever your
preferences.

Did you forget to mention the flooding or doesn't that happen anymore?

Andy

Nope, Elsinore does not flood anymore, due to the installed flood
control measures
upstream and on the Lake itself.

Also the water quality has become a priority and is no longer a
problem due to thecontrol and measures they installed in the lake.

If you have not been to Elsinore in the last few years then you would
not know it anymore, there has been a lot
of good changes and it is currently one of the best kept secrets in
SoCal. so Shhhhhhh!....lets only tell the glider pilots.

Where else could you get property with private access to any body of
water in SoCal for under 200K ?

Let alone in a place so conveniently loacated to the bigger centers,
yet far enough away to be out of the rat race?

Ray