Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__ ihuvpe

Old November 12th 04, 01:57 PM
Ron Natalie

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Well just about any car of that era was easy. The cars were large and
in many cases you could even stand inside the engine compartment. There
was less crap hanging off the engines as well.
Old November 12th 04, 03:07 PM
Gig Giacona

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Barnyard BOb - wrote:

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Well just about any car of that era was easy. The cars were large and
in many cases you could even stand inside the engine compartment. There
was less crap hanging off the engines as well.

Easiest car to work on was without a doubt the Triumph Sptfire. All sheet
metal forward of the firewall tilted up. You could use the front tires as
seats. Good thing to because you had to work on it alot.

Old November 12th 04, 03:40 PM
jls

"Gig Giacoma" wrote in message [...]
Easiest car to work on was without a doubt the Triumph Sptfire. All sheet
metal forward of the firewall tilted up. You could use the front tires as
seats. Good thing to because you had to work on it alot.

Aircraft engines are easy. Just twist the camlocs and pull the cowl.
You can sit on a highstool, or a low stool, or ride around supine on a
creeper. You get to play with your Snap-Ons with the universal-jointed
sockets.

Old November 12th 04, 04:10 PM
Ron Natalie

jls wrote:
"Gig Giacoma" wrote in message [...]

Easiest car to work on was without a doubt the Triumph Sptfire. All sheet
metal forward of the firewall tilted up. You could use the front tires as
seats. Good thing to because you had to work on it alot.

Aircraft engines are easy. Just twist the camlocs and pull the cowl.
You can sit on a highstool, or a low stool, or ride around supine on a
creeper. You get to play with your Snap-Ons with the universal-jointed
sockets.

You've obviously never worked on a Navion with it's original mount.
While the gull wing doors swing open leting you get to the top and
sides of the engine easily, the nose bowl and the bottom cowl is
a bit involved to remove. My mechanic cursed a lot when she had to
get to something on the bottom side.
Old November 12th 04, 04:13 PM
jls

jls wrote:
"Gig Giacoma" wrote in message [...]

Easiest car to work on was without a doubt the Triumph Sptfire. All

sheet
metal forward of the firewall tilted up. You could use the front tires

as
seats. Good thing to because you had to work on it alot.

Aircraft engines are easy. Just twist the camlocs and pull the cowl.
You can sit on a highstool, or a low stool, or ride around supine on a
creeper. You get to play with your Snap-Ons with the

universal-jointed
sockets.

You've obviously never worked on a Navion with it's original mount.
While the gull wing doors swing open leting you get to the top and
sides of the engine easily, the nose bowl and the bottom cowl is
a bit involved to remove. My mechanic cursed a lot when she had to
get to something on the bottom side.

True. I have never worked on a Navion. However, did pull the vacuum pump
on an Alon Aircoupe a few days ago. Pulling the nosebowl and cowl was pure
hell.

Old November 12th 04, 06:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles and
years of use) - Morgans

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Hmmmm.
If you say so, Jim. g

Barnyard BOb -

I thought better of you than to rely on Ralphie Nader. How far you have
fallen. :-)

Matt

Old November 13th 04, 02:25 AM
Morgans

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Barnyard BOb - wrote:

I have yet to find a foreign car that is designed to be more easy to

work on
than a GM, in ordinary maintenance, or major repairs. (after many miles

and
years of use) - Morgans

CORVAIR.

GM.

Unsafe @ Any Speed...

but, easy to work on.

Hmmmm.
If you say so, Jim. g

Barnyard BOb -

I thought better of you than to rely on Ralphie Nader. How far you have
fallen. :-)

Matt

Amen, brother. I was not even gong to dignify the comment with a response.

Bob, think pre '63.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old November 17th 04, 04:16 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Noting easier to work on than my 1967 Camaro. :-) BTW Nader ruined the
reputation of a neat little car with his stupid book. He was as stupid
about that as he was thinking he could become president.

Jerry

I liked the Corvair a lot, but...
You are in "kill the messenger" mode, Jerry.

Nader and Consumer Reports magazine reported the truth.

The courts not only agreed with Nader, but forced GM to
publicly apologize for their attempts to discredit him instead
of timely fixing the_early_Corvair handling problems.

In the final analysis.....
If reporting the shortcomings killed the Corvair, it is fair
to say that GM had nobody to blame but themselves
given their **** poor behavior concerning the matter.

Barnyard BOb - and that's the truth

Old November 17th 04, 11:38 PM
Ed Sullivan

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:16:35 -0600, Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

Noting easier to work on than my 1967 Camaro. :-) BTW Nader ruined the
reputation of a neat little car with his stupid book. He was as stupid
about that as he was thinking he could become president.

Jerry

I liked the Corvair a lot, but...
You are in "kill the messenger" mode, Jerry.

Nader and Consumer Reports magazine reported the truth.

The courts not only agreed with Nader, but forced GM to
publicly apologize for their attempts to discredit him instead
of timely fixing the_early_Corvair handling problems.

In the final analysis.....
If reporting the shortcomings killed the Corvair, it is fair
to say that GM had nobody to blame but themselves
given their **** poor behavior concerning the matter.

Barnyard BOb - and that's the truth

I had a Corvair Monza and liked it after I installed a sway
bar.Originally it was loosey goosey as hell going straight down the
freeway, but cornered like a champ in the mountains. That's been a
long time. It could have been been that particular Monza or me, who
knows.

Ed Sullivan, the aged