gun discharge in cockpit.

Old March 25th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

"Roger" wrote in message
news
And how pray tell do you do this with a model 12 trap gun or Glock
9mm?

It would be very difficult to find a trap gun used for competition
that has a safety. If it came with one it will have been removed.
When one target may be worth a $10, $1000 or $10,000 and forgetting to
release the safety is a lost target you don't have safetys. The Glock
does not have a safety except for a lever in the trigger.

Neither does a revolver, but any range that allows any weapon without an
appropraite safety is asking for a lawsuit (IME).

When I used to shoot pistol competition (Combat - IDPA, IPSC), we'd practice
taking the safety off during the draw.

On a trap range, I would imagine that once you took your stance, you'd thumb
off the safty, then call for the bird?

Old March 25th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Dan" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 8:33 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Unfortunately, some people are, but I would swear on a stack of AIM
Manuals
that it isn't Dudley, and probably not even Bertie, but in the latter
case....well, ya' never know.

You'd be wrong.

That some people are long winded on the radio?

Old March 25th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:43:14 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Roger wrote in
:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Think of all the money you're saving on ammo.

And tht *stuff* is getting REALLY expensive too.

Really? Mine isn't too bad, but I don;t use all that much.

Hey, I remember the days when we could purchase the imported and/or
surplus stuff by the metal can for about what a box costs now.

Of course back in those days you could go out and purchase a 20 mm,
make a rifle out of it, purchase the HE rounds and make lots of
noise. That is IF you could afford the gun and ammo. Now that stuff
was expensive back then even in today's dollars.

I purchased a dozen 45's for less than $20 each still in the
cosmaline. (Those I could afford) Two could have been used for
competition, most were so, so (average more or less) and with the last
two you'd have been lucky to hit the floor holding one over the side
of a chair and pointed down.

All you need is your SUV

So is gas.

Doesn't seem to matter to some!

I can afford it, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative and drive my
wife's hybrid.
OK, so I'm cheap.:-))

Bertie

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 25th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Denny wrote:
He is an idiot - res ipsa loquitor

Ahh but, the antigun fanatics will be foaming at the mouth...
Better a plane be hijacked daily than a single accidental discharge
happen...

They should hire me, I've never had an accidental discharge well,
there was that time at the drive in movie, but no one was injured

denny

An accidental discharge is very, very much like a gear up landing. There
are those that have had them and those that will.

I don't buy that. I know several old pilots who completed entire flying
careers (40+ years) without a gear-up landing. I also know several
people who have went a lifetime without accidentally discharging a
firearm. I'm up to 37 years, but I'm still handling guns and flying so
I can't claim victory just yet! :-)

Neither of these events is inevitable.

Matt
Old March 25th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 24, 9:05 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Neither does a revolver, but any range that allows any weapon without an
appropraite safety is asking for a lawsuit (IME).

The DAO pistol trigger safety has universal acceptance as a "safety,"
thus the wide range of models and calibers employing the trigger
safety.

Please name one range that denies Glock, S&W M&P, or Sig DAK users
shooting privileges.

When I used to shoot pistol competition (Combat - IDPA, IPSC), we'd practice
taking the safety off during the draw.

Wait -- you fired "combat" competition with safety on heading into the
scenario? Were you shooting a 1911? Otherwise, so many models have
such cumbersome safeties (the Berretta 9mm M9, for example), that it's
only useful as a sop to the easily frightened.

If you did as you say, you'll know that Jeff Cooper advocated cocked
and locked, Condition 1 carry with a 1911. It doesn't get any closer
to ready to fire than this setup.

Dan Mc

Old March 25th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Roger wrote in
:

Hey, I remember the days when we could purchase the imported and/or
surplus stuff by the metal can for about what a box costs now.

Yeah, And I paid 1750 for my first airplane with a fresh overhaul and rags!

Of course back in those days you could go out and purchase a 20 mm,
make a rifle out of it, purchase the HE rounds and make lots of
noise. That is IF you could afford the gun and ammo. Now that stuff
was expensive back then even in today's dollars.

Huh?
You lost me there.

I purchased a dozen 45's for less than $20 each still in the
cosmaline. (Those I could afford) Two could have been used for
competition, most were so, so (average more or less) and with the last
two you'd have been lucky to hit the floor holding one over the side
of a chair and pointed down.

Cool.

All you need is your SUV

So is gas.

Doesn't seem to matter to some!

I can afford it, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative and drive my
wife's hybrid.
OK, so I'm cheap.:-))

And do you find it does well in fuel comsumption?

Bertie
Old March 25th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 24, 8:49 pm, "gatt" wrote:

I don't have an SUV, I have a F-150 for hauling

Heh. Must be the forum. I parsed that as "F-15" and then had to stop to
think of what kind of an airplane an F-150 is....

Hard to haul hay in an F-15.

By the time you git where yer goin it's all blowed off!

Dan Mc

Old March 25th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Dan" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 9:05 pm, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Neither does a revolver, but any range that allows any weapon without an
appropraite safety is asking for a lawsuit (IME).

The DAO pistol trigger safety has universal acceptance as a "safety,"
thus the wide range of models and calibers employing the trigger
safety.

The Glock, Sig, Revolvers, etc., are considered to have an appropriate
safety.

Please name one range that denies Glock, S&W M&P, or Sig DAK users
shooting privileges.

Re-read my statement.

Old March 25th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Roger wrote in
:

Hey, I remember the days when we could purchase the imported and/or
surplus stuff by the metal can for about what a box costs now.

Yeah, And I paid 1750 for my first airplane with a fresh overhaul and rags!

My first car (56 Ford with a police interceptor engine @$1250) the
next was a new 62 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible with read leather
interior ~5600# and cost $3,600. First house in 61 was $11,000 and
about the size of this one.

Of course back in those days you could go out and purchase a 20 mm,
make a rifle out of it, purchase the HE rounds and make lots of
noise. That is IF you could afford the gun and ammo. Now that stuff
was expensive back then even in today's dollars.

Huh?
You lost me there.

The price that stuff went for then, would be expensive at that price
today and my pension alone is multiples of what I made back then.

I think G&A magazine paid something like $75 each for the HE rounds
they used in a write up on a rifle made from a 20mm cannon and used a
Hydrocoil (sp?) stock..

I purchased a dozen 45's for less than $20 each still in the
cosmaline. (Those I could afford) Two could have been used for
competition, most were so, so (average more or less) and with the last
two you'd have been lucky to hit the floor holding one over the side
of a chair and pointed down.

Says a lot for the quality control back then.

I had two Colt Pythons with the Pacmyer (sp?) grips. I shot 5 boxes of
heavy loads at metal silhouettes at the range one day. I had two boxes
of High velocity hollow points and was only hitting about 1 our of 5.
The guy with me said he knew I shot better than that and gave me a
couple boxes of 220 grain semi wad cutters. He had them loaded for a
Thompson Contender single shot with a long barrel. All the hide
peeled off the inside of my right hand. Man, but that was one big
blister and GAWD it was sore! :-)) But I was hitting about 4 out of
5 or a tad better with those loads. Those HV HPs were good for short
range only. I was actually doing about as well on sheep at 125
yards. We'd watch the condensation ball through the spotting scope.
When you could actually see the bullet's location it was amazing how
long it took to get to the target.

Cool.

All you need is your SUV

So is gas.

Doesn't seem to matter to some!

I can afford it, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative and drive my
wife's hybrid.
OK, so I'm cheap.:-))

And do you find it does well in fuel comsumption?

46 to 47 MPG with a mix of highway and city driving out here in the
flat lands. Expressway drops to about 45.

IF traffic permitted driving for mileage. IE...coasting up to stops,
gradual acceleration, planning your speeds like we do approaches, it
could easily get well over 50. However in today's driving world
they'd probably be hunting up your next of kin after the first hour of
driving like that.

Old March 25th 08, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Darkwing wrote:
But USAF, in
its infinite wisdom, stopped putting hard-boiled eggs in the box lunches.
I don't know why. :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Probably to limit the amount of methane gas released by the flight crew.

And solids too.

Static Discharge gman Piloting 12 March 24th 07 07:56 PM
IFR static discharge [email protected] Home Built 0 April 2nd 06 08:06 PM
The Vanishing Honorable Discharge Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 29th 04 02:58 AM