gun discharge in cockpit.

Old March 25th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

Roger wrote in
news
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 02:10:42 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Roger wrote in
m:

Hey, I remember the days when we could purchase the imported and/or
surplus stuff by the metal can for about what a box costs now.

Yeah, And I paid 1750 for my first airplane with a fresh overhaul and
rags!

My first car (56 Ford with a police interceptor engine @$1250) the
next was a new 62 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible with read leather
interior ~5600# and cost $3,600. First house in 61 was $11,000 and
about the size of this one.

Of course back in those days you could go out and purchase a 20 mm,
make a rifle out of it, purchase the HE rounds and make lots of
noise. That is IF you could afford the gun and ammo. Now that
stuff was expensive back then even in today's dollars.

Huh?
You lost me there.

The price that stuff went for then, would be expensive at that price
today and my pension alone is multiples of what I made back then.

I think G&A magazine paid something like $75 each for the HE rounds
they used in a write up on a rifle made from a 20mm cannon and used a
Hydrocoil (sp?) stock..

I purchased a dozen 45's for less than $20 each still in the
cosmaline. (Those I could afford) Two could have been used for
competition, most were so, so (average more or less) and with the
last two you'd have been lucky to hit the floor holding one over the
side of a chair and pointed down.

Says a lot for the quality control back then.

I had two Colt Pythons with the Pacmyer (sp?) grips. I shot 5 boxes of
heavy loads at metal silhouettes at the range one day. I had two boxes
of High velocity hollow points and was only hitting about 1 our of 5.
The guy with me said he knew I shot better than that and gave me a
couple boxes of 220 grain semi wad cutters. He had them loaded for a
Thompson Contender single shot with a long barrel. All the hide
peeled off the inside of my right hand. Man, but that was one big
blister and GAWD it was sore! :-)) But I was hitting about 4 out of
5 or a tad better with those loads. Those HV HPs were good for short
range only. I was actually doing about as well on sheep at 125
yards. We'd watch the condensation ball through the spotting scope.
When you could actually see the bullet's location it was amazing how
long it took to get to the target.

Cool.

All you need is your SUV

So is gas.

Doesn't seem to matter to some!

I can afford it, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative and drive
my wife's hybrid.
OK, so I'm cheap.:-))

And do you find it does well in fuel comsumption?

46 to 47 MPG with a mix of highway and city driving out here in the
flat lands. Expressway drops to about 45.

IF traffic permitted driving for mileage. IE...coasting up to stops,
gradual acceleration, planning your speeds like we do approaches, it
could easily get well over 50. However in today's driving world
they'd probably be hunting up your next of kin after the first hour of
driving like that.

Yipes! Making your own gun out of a cannon? You must have impresses the
other kids!

Bertie

Old March 25th 08, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Ron Garret

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
:

WingFlaps wrote:

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by
depressurizing ?

WHAT terrorists ?

So, the 93 hijackings since 2001 don't count, fjukktard planespoter?

Huh? Did I miss something? What 93 hijackings were those? (That would
be more than one hijacking a month.)

rg
Old March 25th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Jim Logajan

Ron Garret wrote:
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
:

WingFlaps wrote:

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by
depressurizing ?

WHAT terrorists ?

So, the 93 hijackings since 2001 don't count, fjukktard planespoter?

Huh? Did I miss something? What 93 hijackings were those? (That would
be more than one hijacking a month.)

I'm glad someone else asked. ;-)

The implicit context appeared to be U.S. registered aircraft and I didn't
know that many had been hijacked since 2001! Maybe worldwide there might
have been that many - but that still seems high. Maybe Bertie is including
boats and/or cars? (Geez, could they hijack trains too? I could see how the
authorities would have a hard time tracking down a hijacked train. ;-))
Old March 25th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Ron Garret wrote:
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Eeyore wrote in
:

WingFlaps wrote:

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by
depressurizing ?

WHAT terrorists ?

So, the 93 hijackings since 2001 don't count, fjukktard planespoter?

Huh? Did I miss something? What 93 hijackings were those? (That
would be more than one hijacking a month.)

I'm glad someone else asked. ;-)

The implicit context appeared to be U.S. registered aircraft and I
didn't know that many had been hijacked since 2001! Maybe worldwide
there might have been that many - but that still seems high. Maybe
Bertie is including boats and/or cars? (Geez, could they hijack trains
too? I could see how the authorities would have a hard time tracking
down a hijacked train. ;-))

Nope, just airplanes. Most were criminal enterprises. ( ransome) some
were asylum seekers and some were disgruntled employees.

Scary eh?

Bertie
Old March 25th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 04:31:29 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Roger wrote in
news
On Tsnip
And do you find it does well in fuel comsumption?

46 to 47 MPG with a mix of highway and city driving out here in the
flat lands. Expressway drops to about 45.

IF traffic permitted driving for mileage. IE...coasting up to stops,
gradual acceleration, planning your speeds like we do approaches, it
could easily get well over 50. However in today's driving world
they'd probably be hunting up your next of kin after the first hour of
driving like that.

Yipes! Making your own gun out of a cannon? You must have impresses the
other kids!

No, not me. I couldn't have afforded the ammunition let anone be
strong enough to carry the thing.

I do believe there is a current bolt action available that uses the 50
CAl though. Don't think I could handle either the recoil or price
on that one either, although I could afford the ammunition. Can you
imagine how that thing must kick?

Bertie

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 25th 08, 09:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:05:43 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
news
And how pray tell do you do this with a model 12 trap gun or Glock
9mm?

It would be very difficult to find a trap gun used for competition
that has a safety. If it came with one it will have been removed.
When one target may be worth a $10, $1000 or $10,000 and forgetting to
release the safety is a lost target you don't have safetys. The Glock
does not have a safety except for a lever in the trigger.

Neither does a revolver, but any range that allows any weapon without an

In a way a revolver does as it must be cocked for single action and
takes a hefty trigger pull in double action unless it's been reworked.
OTOH the DAO Glock as well as the H&Ks only have about a 2 to 2.5#
pull. I don't remember if the H&K does but the Glock does not have a
true safety except that little mechanism in the center of the trigger.
It does not have a grip safety either. Both are standard issue law
enforcement arms so you will find many on local ranges.
Unlike the old 45 or even S&W 45 these are carried with a round in the
chamber.

appropraite safety is asking for a lawsuit (IME).

When I used to shoot pistol competition (Combat - IDPA, IPSC), we'd practice
taking the safety off during the draw.

Combat is an entirely different game including changing magazines. In
the old days they'd only let us use 45s, now I believe the 9mm and 40
cal are both permitted.

On a trap range, I would imagine that once you took your stance, you'd thumb
off the safty, then call for the bird?

You are unlikely to find a shotgun with a safety on a trap range
although a few Over and unders *may* have them.. The operation is
rigidly controlled. On a trap field you have 5 shooters basically
side by side and about 12 feet apart (I forget the specific distance
on the 16 yard line. Handicap is done a far back as 27 yards from the
trap house). You stand in position with the barrel pointed down range
and the action open. Shooting is done in rotation, 5 shots (one at a
time in rotation) from each position. When it comes your turn to
shoot and only then (regardless of the type of action) you place a
round in the chamber, close the action, mount the shotgun to your
shoulder and then call for a target.

Close an action when it's not your turn to shoot and you will be
escorted off the range. You may also lose your membership in the state
or national organization and without that you can't shoot. There is a
lot of money involved in trap shooting, in entrance fees, shells, and
fees for shooting for "the money". There's too much money at stake to
throw it all away.
by not playing by the rules. It's quite easy to have between $300 and
$500 invested in *each* event. 16 yard events usually consist of two
100 target events combined while handicap events are normally 100
targets each.

I've competed, coached, and played range officer, just not all at the
same time.

In the case of doubles where two clay targets are thrown at the same
time you do load two shells, but again the action is not closed until
it's your turn to shoot. Most doubles are shot with over and under
double barrels. A few opt for the much less expensive semi autos and
pumps, but they are by far in the minority. Few are willing to risk a
malfunction. For singles the old Winchester model 12 pump is by far
the most popular used as a single shot. That is what I used for 16
yard and handicap. Modified choke for 16 and full for 25 yards and
back. I've put well over 200,000 shells through that old shotgun.

There are some very expensive and fantastic shotgun sets available.
They come with the stock and action, plus at least three different
length single shot barrels and one or two sets of over and under
double barrels. (different chokes) some have interchangeable chokes.
I've not seen one of these sets that even had a provision for a
safety. I'd love one of those sets just to have it although I no
longer compete.

Old March 25th 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eeyore[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Jim Logajan wrote
Ron Garret wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Eeyore wrote
WingFlaps wrote:

[...]

So not actually TERRORISTS then ?

How about a cite Bertie ?

Graham

a.u.k removed

Old March 25th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eeyore[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Ron Garret wrote
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Eeyore wrote
WingFlaps wrote:

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by
depressurizing ?

WHAT terrorists ?

So, the 93 hijackings since 2001 don't count, fjukktard planespoter?

Huh? Did I miss something? What 93 hijackings were those? (That
would be more than one hijacking a month.)

Yeah, that's exactly how many there have been. We had to do our annual
security course a few weeks ago and we had to guess how many theyre had
been worldwide. First guess was none, then, one or two were remembered
so we guessed three. The instructor illuminated us. Most were in South
America or Africa, but a substantial number weren't...

How many were TERRORISTS Bertie ?

And how many were scheduled passenger services ?

Graham

Old March 25th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

They should hire me, I've never had an accidental discharge well,
there was that time at the drive in movie, but no one was injured

Good self control :-) I hope she didn't keep the dress...

Cheers

Static Discharge gman Piloting 12 March 24th 07 07:56 PM
IFR static discharge [email protected] Home Built 0 April 2nd 06 08:06 PM
The Vanishing Honorable Discharge Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 29th 04 02:58 AM