Harley engine special

Old May 21st 04, 06:55 AM
Richard Riley

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:12:27 -0400, " jls"
wrote:

:
:"ET" wrote in message
: Barnyard BOb - wrote in
: :
:
:
: Barnyard BOb blahblahblahblahblah --
:
:
: WOW bet he [Steve Wittman] wished he had a BRS system heh???
:
:
: --
: ET ---- (ducking and running)
:
:
: Funny you should bring that up. This evening on the 6:30 ABC news, Peter
:Jennings' last item was devoted to the ballistic chute. The Cirrus owner
:who lost a wing and deployed his chute over Dallas was interviewed, and his
lane shown, "intact" the owner said, in the bushes near a golf course.

Wow. Losing an aileron and losing a wing are the same thing? I
didn't know. I'll drop a note to Lionel Morrison, he probably doesn't
know either.

plonk
Old May 21st 04, 01:12 PM
Ben Haas

" jls" wrote in message ...
"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

Both these guys are classic extremes of how dumb luck can rule!
Blanton survived in spite of himself while Wittman died because of
himself. - Barnyard BOb -

Not so fast, BoOb. Wittman was around 90 when he died. At the time he
covered his aircraft with polyester fabric and used dope to glue and

finish
it, it was a popular thing to do. - jls

GEEZUS!!!!

Perhaps you did not see Dave Hyde's post regarding Wittman....

"AILERON-WING FLUTTER INDUCED BY
SEPARATION AT THE TRAILING EDGE OF AN UNBONDED
PORTION OF WING FABRIC AT AN AILERON WING STATION.
THE DEBONDING OF THE WING FABRIC WAS A RESULT OF
IMPROPER INSTALLATION."

Also...
Steve Wittman Accident

http://www.beginat.com/EAA724/newsltrs/96-02.htm
The February Sport Aviation has a summary of the findings of the NTSB
on the cause of the crash of Steve Wittman's O&O Special last April.
To condense and simplify the article greatly, it appeared that Steve
painted the Poly-Fiber covering to the plywood wing with the nitrate
dope he had used for years with natural fiber wing coverings, instead
of with the approved Poly-Brush.

Poly-Tak is the glue; poly-brush is a weave filler. You're not all that
good with facts, are you?

Kinda makes one wonder whether he even built that Fly Baby,,doesn't it ???
Old May 21st 04, 01:33 PM
jls

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Rich S." wrote in response to some other great insights from " jls"

Plonk!

?????????????????????????

Are you sure your reaction times are good enough to fly an areoplane?

I did that very thing a couple of months ago! I worry about you! :-)
--
Jim in NC

You must be shooting up heroin these days, Morg, you ol' groundpounder, you.

Old May 21st 04, 01:37 PM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 00:49:17 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

And you glued eight yards of fabric to a wood skinned wing?
How did that turn out? Real smooth, huh?
Ah, question? How are you going to iron it out?
If the glue releases at 250 degrees,
but the fabric needs 350 degrees to reach working tightness???

I can answer that question, or at least give an example of something
very similar. The double covering technique, which was developed for
extremely high power and big propped aerobatic airplanes like the
Pitts model 12, involves laying the top layer of fabric on top of the
initial layer and rolling polytach on top of it. You put it on thick
and roll it through the fabric. You can see that it's saturating the
fabric when you do this. The top layer of fabric is usually the same
weight and weave as what you use for tapes, and in effect is one
gigantic tape.

Then you iron the top layer using a 250 degree temp iron. This is
enough to smooth things out and eliminate any bubbles or slight
ripples. Using the rolling on technique, there aren't many
imperfections to correct.

As mentioned above, this process is being used on extreme machines,
but has also been applied to three Beech Staggerwings with a field
approval. You end up with a very very smooth covering and very close
to the the same weight as a covering using traditional tapes and
filler.

Corky Scott
Old May 21st 04, 01:39 PM
jls

"Richard Riley" wrote in message [...]
Wow. Losing an aileron and losing a wing are the same thing? I
didn't know. I'll drop a note to Lionel Morrison, he probably doesn't
know either.

Ooh, three widdle witchies and now Morgie have taken their toys and gone
home crying to momma.

This widdle witchie didn't watch ABC News, which said the owner lost a part
of his wing.

plonk

Old May 21st 04, 01:43 PM
jls

"Ben Haas" wrote in message
om...
" jls" wrote in message

[...]

You can safely assume he didn't, unless there are pictures and supporting
affidavits. An authentic builder, not BB, built the single-place RV-3 he
flies.

Old May 21st 04, 02:03 PM
Russell Kent

Ben Haas wrote:
Hey BLOb, we are all still waiting for you post some pics of the
homebuilt you bought...
I, for one am betting there is no plane in your
hanger...

The word is spelled "hangar".

Dave "Nauga" Hyde responded:
Cash on the line, how much? I'll take your bet, here and now.

I'll take some of that action, too. I've seen BOb's RV-3. Well, to be fair
I've seen an RV-3 that BOb flew and *claimed* to own. I've no reason to
doubt the claim, however.

Russell Kent

Old May 21st 04, 02:07 PM
Russell Kent

Jim-Ed Browne wrote:
We're not thinking too clearly here. There are two sensible
mentalities here for single-engine flying- the engine can't quit, or
that it can. The former was a proposition accepted by U-2 pilots over
Russia

You are misinformed, sir. U2 pilots are thoroughly trained in airborne
restarts as it is a not-uncommon occurrence for the engine to flameout in
the rarefied atmosphere.

Russell Kent

Old May 21st 04, 04:30 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Ben Haas misspoke...

Hey BLOb, we are all still waiting for you post some pics of the
homebuilt you bought...

I've seen pictures of at least one he built, and I've
seen him fly an RV-3. You I don't know, but I know
Bob. Agree or disagree with him, at least you know
where you stand. I hope to see him in person this
weekend as well, and I'm looking forward to it.

I, for one am betting there is no plane in your
hanger...

Cash on the line, how much? I'll take your bet, here
and now.

Dave 'eyewitness' Hyde

=====================================

Heh, heh.

Ben doesn't know his_hass_from a_hole_in the ground.
I'd clean his clock on any bet, but being the softy I am...
I'd let him off the hook when he started bawling at his loss.

Anybody else wanna make an IGNORANT, UNINFORMED
and RISKY wager besides Hass and his brilliant sidekick, jls?

P.S
Hey, HASS-HOLE - what a schmuck you are.
When are you going to learn where *us real pilots* house airplanes?

hang·er n.
A contrivance to which something hangs or by which something is hung,
as: 1. A device around which a garment is draped for hanging from a
hook or rod.

han·gar n.
A shelter especially for housing or repairing aircraft.

- SCHMUCK, also shmuck n. Slang --

A clumsy or stupid person; an oaf.

Barnyard BOb - THE REAL DEAL
N863WL - hangAred in the Show Me State

Old May 21st 04, 04:54 PM
Del Rawlins

Barnyard BOb - THE REAL DEAL
N863WL - hangAred in the Show Me State

Hey BOb, send me an email. I tried to write you but the most recent
address I could find on Google bounced.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/