Hyabusa flat 8

Old March 8th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles

Default Hyabusa flat 8

In uk.rec.motorcycles The Older Gentleman wrote:
Stuart Fields wrote:

Of course there are a bunch of Subaru powered aircraft out there with and
without PSRUs. All that said, it is still hard to beat the Lycoming in
every thing but acquisition costs.

As one who's just bought the car that houses it, it will be interesting
to see whether the Subary flat-four diesel finds any aircraft
applications.

Are there any diesel aer-engines, or diesel car engines frequently used
in aircraft? I had the impression that diesel aero-engines died with
airships and the Junkers 86, but I'm always willing to learn....

Yup, Thielert engines are used by Diamond aircraft.
http://www.centurion-engines.com/
Diesel engines running on aviation kerosene.

--
03 GS500
66 Velocette LE Mk3

Old March 8th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles
Morgans[_2_]

"The Older Gentleman" wrote

Are there any diesel aer-engines, or diesel car engines frequently used
in aircraft? I had the impression that diesel aero-engines died with
airships and the Junkers 86, but I'm always willing to learn....

Check out Diamond Aircraft
http://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/index.php

They had problems with their engine supplier going bankrupt, and were left
without support for their engines, but have gotten another engine program
going quickly. I can't recall if it was the Mercedes engine that went belly
up, or if they are going to a Mercedes engine.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 8th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

Forget the aquisition cost - it's the maintenance/rebuild that kills
you. Certified parts are pricey. An average auto conversion can be
zero timed for the cost of doing one jug on a "real" aircraft engine.

Right. You could overhaul to new a auto engine conversion every 500 hours,
and still be money ahead.

In reality, you probably will be able to go to well over 2,000 hours with a
auto engine that has been flown frequently, at reasonable power outputs,
without problems.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 8th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

With the possible exception of the 912S.
Those 912s stand up VERY well but the price!!!!!!!

That's the word on the street, but, the company!

I just will not allow myself to get into an aircraft with an engine made by
a company I trust so little.

It sure limits your (read my) choices in the light sport aircraft field.
--
Jim in NC

Old March 8th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles
Stuart Fields

"Morgans" wrote in message

I have a friend who has adapted a V8 engine into his Long Eze. It is
direct
drive with no PSRU. He has flown cross country from CA to Oshkosh
several times. As far as I can tell he has not had any engine problems.

Wow, I would like to see that set-up. Did he have to move the fire wall
forward, for ballance?

I would not use any auto engine, without at least an additional bearing
for thrust added to the crank. I had a 350 chevy crank in a van that was
25 thousands over spec, in end slop. That was without any thrust on the
engine.

--
Jim in NC

Jim: Try Contact Magazine and look for Gary & Shar Spencer.

Old March 8th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 17:00:13 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

wrote

With the possible exception of the 912S.
Those 912s stand up VERY well but the price!!!!!!!

That's the word on the street, but, the company!

I just will not allow myself to get into an aircraft with an engine made by
a company I trust so little.

It sure limits your (read my) choices in the light sport aircraft field.

Bombardier is a very highly regarded company - most of it's products
are in the top 10% of their competition - but ANY 2 stroke engine, to
me, is suspect.
I know, in theory they are almost bulletproof because they have so few
moving parts - but in practice they are fragine.

Heck, I won't even take my chainsaw up a ladder, why would I fly
behind one????
TBO on the 2 stroke stuff is PITIFUL.

There I was, flat on my back... Kyle Boatright Home Built 5 August 16th 07 05:34 AM
Flat tire Viperdoc[_4_] Piloting 11 June 4th 07 02:57 PM
Flat Tires? Jay Honeck Owning 40 August 31st 05 01:59 AM
Wrinkly flat panels [email protected] Home Built 27 March 6th 04 02:12 PM
Flat Spin JJ Sinclair Soaring 34 February 10th 04 05:57 PM