ATC subtle hints

Old October 17th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Christopher Range

Default ATC subtle hints

kontiki wrote:
I really get a kick out of how subtle ATC can be sometimes in giving those
little "hints" to some pilots. I've heard lots of interesting ones over
time
that have given me a chuckle while flying along. It got me to thinking
about
what some of the more funny ones you guys have heard over the years.

Today, right after being cleared for takeoff, and while rolling onto on
Rwy 36
at SAV I got a traffic advisory from tower about a 757 on a 3 mile final
to Rwy 9.
(for me, that's the lowest altitude I have ever been when receiveing a
traffic advisory!). I responded with "38H is looking" and made an
expeditious
take-off and got a good glance at the big airplane on the way in maybe a
mile
out as I crossed the intersection.

Wish I could recall a few of the more funny ones, but telling stories is
really
not my forte, sorta like you have to be there.

It sounds a little like the part in the movie 'Airplane' where the male
n' female PA announcers are arguing over the PA about no parking in a
red or white zone.

The ones' in the movie are not subtle but, the same general silliness.
Old October 18th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Chilcoat

OSU tower to me the first time I landed there, in heavy haze:
"N44511, clear to land, 27 left.
Me: "Clear to land 27 left."
I can only see one runway in the haze.
Me: "N44511 is unfamilar. Are 27 left and right close together?"
Tower, just as I see a much shorter runway way over to the right: "27 left
is the one with the L on it."

Crap

"GeorgeC" wrote in message
Our airport has parallel runways. one is 7200x150 and the other is
5000x75.
Tower: N#, clear to land 17 right.
Transient: Clear to land 17 right.
A little while later.
Tower: N#, clear to land 17 RIGHT.
Transient: Clear to land 17 right??
Tower: N#, that's the short runway.

GeorgeC

Old October 19th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Martin

Emily wrote:

That's a good question - how many pilots admit to the controller that
they were just caught being stupid? I was caught once tracking the
wrong VOR and he called me on it. No way to bluff your way out of that
one.

Yeah, did something similar on my long cross-country... put the Columbus
(CSG) VOR in the GPS instead of KCSG, while coming from Tuskegee, AL
(06A). The VOR is something like 8-10 miles north of the field, so I
was probably about 30 degrees off course. There aren't many landmarks
out that way, so I basically tried to use the GPS to navigate the
30-mile stretch. Called up approach, and they politely asked me where I
thought I was going. They gave me vectors to the field. Eventually,
after I got back home, I reported the GPS as having been messed up; I
think they sent a mechanic or two to look at it. Didn't dawn on me what
I had done for a week or two.
Old October 19th 06, 09:52 PM
Rotor&Wings Rotor&Wings is offline
Junior Member

New York Approach screwed up and gave us a crossing altitude of 11,000 feet, we were at FL310 and about 20 miles from the fix. My FO replied we would give it our best. The controller comes back and says " Don't those 727's have speed brakes?" to which I replied "Roger that, but those are for MY mistakes, not yours"........................
Old October 20th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Rotor& "Wings" ...
New York Approach screwed up and gave us a crossing altitude of 11,000
feet, we were at FL310 and about 20 miles from the fix. My FO replied
we would give it our best. The controller comes back and says " Don't
those 727's have speed brakes?" to which I replied "Roger that, but
those are for MY mistakes, not yours"........................

Isn't that the normal "setup & dump" into LGA? ;-)

Old October 21st 06, 04:39 AM
Rotor&Wings Rotor&Wings is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Isaksen
Rotor& "Wings" ...
New York Approach screwed up and gave us a crossing altitude of 11,000
feet, we were at FL310 and about 20 miles from the fix. My FO replied
we would give it our best. The controller comes back and says " Don't
those 727's have speed brakes?" to which I replied "Roger that, but
those are for MY mistakes, not yours"........................

Isn't that the normal "setup & dump" into LGA? ;-)
not really.
Old October 25th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Isn't 7777 a military intercept?

Yes, the National Beacon Code Allocation Plan assigns 7777 to DoD
interceptor aircraft on active air defense missions and operating without
ATC clearance.