gun discharge in cockpit.

Old March 25th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

On Mar 25, 9:50*am, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in messagenews:81a68f0dace21@uwe...

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

An accidental discharge is very, very much like a gear up landing. There
are those that have had them and those that will.

* *I think it's a more a question of attitude. * Where I grew up, most of
my
friends had firearms for hunting and target shooting. * The ones that had
accidental discharges were the same ones that eventually ended up shooting
someone or something by accident.

According to many women, men's guns frequently discharge prematurely.

Quite right. As my beloved sarge used to tell us, "this is my weapon
and this is my gun. This is for killing and this is for fun"
Old March 25th 08, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Mar 25, 11:36*am, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:
*On Mar 24, 5:58 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Dan wrote innews:ebef48ed-3f45-4584-b2c2-
What does Dudley have to do with it?

Nothing. Matt thinks in his tiny mind that anyone who talks to me is
somehow enabling me. It's because he doesn't understand trolling.

And you certainly do you demented POS.

Oooh such anger!
Can you insult me so eloquently too -pretty please?

Cheers

Old March 25th 08, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Mar 25, 11:51*am, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:

* Yet again...politics!

* Just for the record, I did not grow up with Dick Cheney :-)

* A couple of guys I know did wind up accidentally shooting their friends on
hunting trips. *

Evolution in action?

Cheers
Old March 25th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Roger" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:43:14 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Roger wrote in
m:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Think of all the money you're saving on ammo.

And tht *stuff* is getting REALLY expensive too.

Really? Mine isn't too bad, but I don;t use all that much.

Hey, I remember the days when we could purchase the imported and/or
surplus stuff by the metal can for about what a box costs now.

Of course back in those days you could go out and purchase a 20 mm,
make a rifle out of it, purchase the HE rounds and make lots of
noise. That is IF you could afford the gun and ammo. Now that stuff
was expensive back then even in today's dollars.

I believe you could by a WW2 20mm anti-tank gun for about $80 and a load of
ammo to boot.

(See: John Ross's book "Unintended Consequences" - he has a photo of the
original magazine ad from the early 60's)

Old March 25th 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Roger" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:05:43 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
news
And how pray tell do you do this with a model 12 trap gun or Glock
9mm?

It would be very difficult to find a trap gun used for competition
that has a safety. If it came with one it will have been removed.
When one target may be worth a $10, $1000 or $10,000 and forgetting to
release the safety is a lost target you don't have safetys. The Glock
does not have a safety except for a lever in the trigger.

Neither does a revolver, but any range that allows any weapon without an

In a way a revolver does as it must be cocked for single action and
takes a hefty trigger pull in double action unless it's been reworked.
OTOH the DAO Glock as well as the H&Ks only have about a 2 to 2.5#
pull. I don't remember if the H&K does but the Glock does not have a
true safety except that little mechanism in the center of the trigger.
It does not have a grip safety either. Both are standard issue law
enforcement arms so you will find many on local ranges.
Unlike the old 45 or even S&W 45 these are carried with a round in the
chamber.

appropraite safety is asking for a lawsuit (IME).

When I used to shoot pistol competition (Combat - IDPA, IPSC), we'd
practice
taking the safety off during the draw.

Combat is an entirely different game including changing magazines. In
the old days they'd only let us use 45s, now I believe the 9mm and 40
cal are both permitted.

On a trap range, I would imagine that once you took your stance, you'd
thumb
off the safty, then call for the bird?

You are unlikely to find a shotgun with a safety on a trap range
although a few Over and unders *may* have them.. The operation is
rigidly controlled. On a trap field you have 5 shooters basically
side by side and about 12 feet apart (I forget the specific distance
on the 16 yard line. Handicap is done a far back as 27 yards from the
trap house). You stand in position with the barrel pointed down range
and the action open. Shooting is done in rotation, 5 shots (one at a
time in rotation) from each position. When it comes your turn to
shoot and only then (regardless of the type of action) you place a
round in the chamber, close the action, mount the shotgun to your
shoulder and then call for a target.

I see...my frame of reference is Sporting Clays and that is with a Browning
Auto. For me, it's just natural to engage the safety until I call the bird
and that's from the "butt low" position. In picturing the sequence in my
mind, I disengage the safety as I call for the target. Even at that, there
can be about a two or three second delay before the target flys/runs.

Now, as to O/U's, I have had my eye on a Beretta 686...

Close an action when it's not your turn to shoot and you will be
escorted off the range. You may also lose your membership in the state
or national organization and without that you can't shoot. There is a
lot of money involved in trap shooting, in entrance fees, shells, and
fees for shooting for "the money". There's too much money at stake to
throw it all away.
by not playing by the rules. It's quite easy to have between $300 and
$500 invested in *each* event. 16 yard events usually consist of two
100 target events combined while handicap events are normally 100
targets each.

I've competed, coached, and played range officer, just not all at the
same time.

In the case of doubles where two clay targets are thrown at the same
time you do load two shells, but again the action is not closed until
it's your turn to shoot.

Got 'cha!

My point-of-reference is Combat Pistol, and there, when you're next, you
load the weapon (all my combat guns are 1911 based), load a round in the
chamber, holster the weapon, then remove the magazine and add a round to
replace the one you loaded into the chamber.

Then you take your first position, and on the buzzer/timer, you draw
(disengaging the safety in the same move, and begin
shooting/moving/shooting....until the stage is over. It's not uncommon to
shoot 20-30 rounds per stage which means you often do one or two reloads
WHILE YOU'RE MOVING.

Old March 25th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"WingFlaps" wrote in message

They should hire me, I've never had an accidental discharge well,
there was that time at the drive in movie, but no one was injured

Good self control :-) I hope she didn't keep the dress...

It was the movie caused the AD, not her. :~o

Old March 25th 08, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Dave S" wrote in message
Darkwing wrote:
But USAF, in
its infinite wisdom, stopped putting hard-boiled eggs in the box
lunches. I don't know why. :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Probably to limit the amount of methane gas released by the flight crew.

And solids too.

I'd think an AD would INCREASE the release of solids by the flight crew?

Old March 25th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 25, 4:45 am, Roger wrote:

I do believe there is a current bolt action available that uses the 50
CAl though. Don't think I could handle either the recoil or price
on that one either, although I could afford the ammunition. Can you
imagine how that thing must kick?

Barrett is the name in .50 Caliber bolt actions. The 50 is a supreme
long range caliber, with knock-down power out far past its MER.

I've never seen or heard of anyone firing this in any other position
than prone, with a bi or tripod and recoil pad.

Dan Mc

Old March 25th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
An accidental discharge is very, very much like a gear up landing. There
are those that have had them and those that will.

I think it's a more a question of attitude. Where I grew up, most of my
friends had firearms for hunting and target shooting. The ones that had
accidental discharges were the same ones that eventually ended up shooting
someone or something by accident.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

John, how many of the folks you grew up with accidentally shot someone?

Other than the casual shooting I did growing up I fired (intentionally)
~50K rounds of ammo/year for about 5 years in the late 80's & early
90's. Two ADs one was a complete brain fade and I hit the ground 10 feet
in front of me aiming down range. The other was while clearing a jam
finger was off the trigger and the round was fired by hitting the
extractor and not the firing pin. The gun was again pointed in a safe
direction.

I saw about 50 ADs as a range officer and they all were, luckily, fired
in a safe direction. **** does happen. To say it can't happen to you
either means you don't handle guns or are just like people who say they
can't have a gear up landing. People, no matter how well trained, do
make errors. It is the attitude that it CAN'T happen to you is what get
people hurt because if it CAN'T happen to you then you will start making
the other mistakes that end up with it happening while the gun is
pointed at someone.

Static Discharge gman Piloting 12 March 24th 07 07:56 PM
IFR static discharge [email protected] Home Built 0 April 2nd 06 08:06 PM
The Vanishing Honorable Discharge Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 29th 04 02:58 AM