10,500 feet is way the heck up there!

Old October 17th 03, 06:21 PM
Peter Duniho

"EDR" wrote in message
"Grainy" describes film. (grains of silver-halide crystals)

"Pixilated" describes digital images. (little square elements, pixels,
that make up the ccd image sensor)

Not really.

Digital pictures have both "grain" and "pixelation". As David notes,
"pixelation" refers to a very specific situation, in which the pixels are
large enough to differentiate. You can still get "grain" in a digital
photo, when there is not enough light to take a good picture and noise
starts taking over the CCD's response.

What Peter was referring to is "pixelation", but it's incorrect to say that
there's no such thing as "grain" in digital photography. There is, it just
doesn't come from literal grains of crystals in the film.

Pete

Old October 17th 03, 10:22 PM
Nils Rostedt

"Michael 182" wrote ...
So, here are some parameters:
$1,000, including enough memory to make the camera useful

10x or greater zoom for youth sports - soccer and basketball

ability to increase zoom for wildlife, nature photos - maybe attach to my
Kowa TSN 822 scope

use for pictures in my 182

What else should I be asking? Is this enough info to make a decision?

Well, my answer is: It depends on your quality standards.

Within your budget, I guess you can find a decent "prosumer" digital (i.e.
with a fixed zoom lens) that is good for normal size enlargements in good
lighting conditions. But if you want the ability to do make really big sharp
enlargements (or part-frame crops) and get noise-free (grain-free) pictures
also in less bright conditions, you need to look at a digital SLR. The Canon
300D is a breakthrough camera is this area, but with a decent memory ( for
example 2 pcs 512 MB CF cards ) it still exceeds the $1000 mark including
lens. On the other hand it delivers as good pictures as almost any 35 mm
film camera, unless you would use the very best professional lenses and
films.

The prosumer cameras have some drawbacks compared to the dSLR: The image has
more noise (or"grain") especially at high sensitivity settings used in low
light. There is often a noticeable shutter delay, which makes action shots
(sports, wildlife) harder. The viewfinder (optical or electronic) is not as
good. On the plus side, it is more compact and with a flip-out LCD
viewfinder it enables shooting from uncommon viewing angles.

Hope this helps.
/Nils

Old October 18th 03, 03:23 PM
JerryK

Did you find it harder or easier to navigate visually at that altitude?

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I've spent a fair number of hours droning along at 10,500 feet in the
MidWest. (For you mountain-flyer-types that think 10.5 K is LOW, that
altitude is a lot different here in Iowa, cuz it puts you almost two miles
above Mother Earth.) It's usually quite boring, and is something I
normally do only en route.

However, I've never actually maintained that altitude *over* an area I was
familiar with. This past weekend we were on our way back from

leaf-peeping
in Wisconsin, and the visibility was just stunning -- crystal clear, azure
blue skies, with no humidity and temperatures in the upper 60s -- so it
seemed like a perfect time to get some aerial photos of Iowa City.

(I've been trying for some time to get a picture for our website that had
enough scale to show the whole area, and our position in it -- but have

just
never had the right opportunity.)

A few things I discovered:

1. Two miles up is actually TOO high for good photography with a standard
Canon Elph digital camera. The pictures I found to be best were taken
around 8,000 feet as we slowly spiraled down to land.

2. The kids thought it was great! With hundreds of hours in the air over
the last nine years, my kids are old pros that only rarely look out the
windows anymore. At 10.5K over familiar territory, however, they were like
newbie passengers again, squealing and pointing. We were all amazed at

what
we could see.

3. Spiraling down from 2 miles over the airport takes a LONG time! I

tried
to maintain a nice, easy 300 - 400 fpm descent, which meant circling the
airport for twenty minutes in order to land!

4. It was fun watching the landing pattern from a "God's Eye" point of
view.

It's not something you would normally think of doing, but if you get a
chance viewing your home turf from WAY up high is kinda fun!

(And you can take a peek at the picture I selected for our opening webpage
at www.AlexisParkInn.com. It's really shows our position relative to the
airport and other important local attractions. For our potential guests,
this picture really is worth a thousand words...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 18th 03, 03:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Did you find it harder or easier to navigate visually at that altitude?

Easier -- especially over areas I was familiar with...

And with visibility the way it was, we could almost always see SOMETHING we
were familiar with, even from 50 miles away...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 18th 03, 05:19 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

And with visibility the way it was, we could almost always see SOMETHING we
were familiar with, even from 50 miles away...

You know that's an everyday thing out here, seeing something more than
50 miles away.

Old October 18th 03, 08:35 PM
Jay Honeck

You know that's an everyday thing out here, seeing something more than
50 miles away.

Well, from October through April it's pretty much that way here, too.

Spring and summer can get quite hazy and humid, however, sometimes giving
you that "flying inside a ping-pong ball" effect...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 19th 03, 10:59 AM
Trentus

"Michael 182" wrote in message
. net...
I know, I know - it's way OT, but I'm about to spend significant money on

digital camera, and it seems like the people in here may know more than

any
advice I'm getting from friends. I posted over on alt.photography, but it

is
a pretty quiet newsgroup.

So, here are some parameters:

$1,000, including enough memory to make the camera useful

10x or greater zoom for youth sports - soccer and basketball

ability to increase zoom for wildlife, nature photos - maybe attach to my
Kowa TSN 822 scope

use for pictures in my 182

What else should I be asking? Is this enough info to make a decision? I am
leaning toward the Fuji S-5000. Any opinions?

You'll love the S-5000
I just bought one recently.
Fantastic Camera for the money.
Mine - complete with extra memory card and camera case was - $1049
Australian
10x zoom is outstanding.
2 x digital makes it even more so.
Through the Lense.
Up to 6 megapixel because of the "Super CCD"
Extra lenses available for wide angle and greater telephoto is you use the
supplied adaptor.
Takes standard AA batteries, so if you ever have flat batteries, more can be
got from any local store, and rechargeable AA's are cheap.
Uses XD memory card, so the camera can store what it just took very quickly,
and be ready for another shot quicker. XD is the quickest form of card.
Total flexibility from TOTAL MANUAL, to totally auto, and all between.
Quality of the shots is amazing, but ignore the camera when it says it wants
the flash, most of the time it doesn't need it, the shots are great without
it.

It's not pocket sized, but is small enough to carry around easily.

Trentus

Old October 19th 03, 08:04 PM
mike regish

What's with the 3.1 megapixel/6 megapixel effective stuff?

What is it. 3.1 or 6?

mike regish

Old October 19th 03, 08:34 PM
Newps

After reading further I see the experts don't like the camera. I
already have an Olympus C700 with the 10x zoom at 2.1 mp. I want to
upgrade but it will be to at least the 4mp range. Also I did not look
far enough to see if it had a port to connect the camera to your TV. We
really like that feature when travelling.

Trentus wrote:

tt.net...