ADIZ Violation Explained in AOPA Magazine

Old January 5th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ADIZ Violation Explained in AOPA Magazine

Jose wrote

Until recently the pilot certificate had the SSN on it. For
many people it still does.

My 1959 pilot certificate doesn't bear my SSN and for some
time after that, they didn't.

Bob Moore
Old January 5th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message . ..
Beats me why they'd require the SSN

Until recently the pilot certificate had the SSN on it. For many people it still does.

Jose
--

I got mine ticket in '75 and there was the option to have the FAA assign a number or you could use your SSN. I choose to
have them assign me a number and keep my SSN a little more private...

--
Dan
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..

Old January 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If your FAA certificate has a SSN on the certificate or as
the certificate number, the FAA will purge their files of
all reference to the SSN and issue you new certificates (no
cost to you). See the FAA webpage for details.

On the FAA application, just put "Do Not Use" in the blank
and for a certificate number list "pending" or if you
already have a FAA number, show that. They will combine
numbers on all certificate, such as pilot, mechanic, rigger,
etc.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

".Blueskies." wrote in
message
om...

. ..

Old January 5th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dan Foster" wrote

Beats me why they'd require the SSN, especially since it was never
intended to be a national identification number, and I don't think the
Social Security system is a particular concern of the FBO...

It is my understanding that it is against the law to be required to give
your SS#, to anyone besides a government agency.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
news

A frigging *radio* would have made sense.
But you probably would have remembered to try 121.5.

You may be unaware of a couple key facts. Both aircraft had functioning
radios and the initial instruction from the Blackhawk was to tune to 121.5.
However, there was other traffic (I've never understood exactly what, but
the consensus is it was an ELT) on that frequency that prevented its use.
More valuable time was lost trying to figure out a) a new frequency and b)
how to communicate that to the errant 150.

Homeland insecurity at its best. Imagine if they'd killed these
guys. Nah. They're not *that* stupid...

Yeah, it's real stupid to risk getting shot by not knowing where you are.
DoD and DHS claim to have learned valuable lessons, but I can only hope
other pilots have learned there is an ADIZ around here with special rules
and special penalties.

Every violation hurts our chances of getting the damned thing dismantled.

More info and opinion:
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer/PermaLink,guid,4ebaf403-5dbd-479f-8514-355334db4275.aspx

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 5th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is my understanding that it is against the law to be required to give
your SS#, to anyone besides a government agency.

It's not against the law to ask for it, it's not against the law to
choose with whom to deal.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old January 5th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"George Patterson" wrote in message

It's not for lack of trying. The department of HSA has refused to
comment.

I'm not aware of DHS staffing F-16's.

--
John T

Old January 5th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John T wrote:

Both aircraft had functioning
radios and the initial instruction from the Blackhawk was to tune to 121.5.

Actually, several witnesses have stated that the Blackhawk did not have a
functioning radio. The department of Homeland Security has refused to comment on
that statement.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 5th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually, several witnesses have stated that the Blackhawk did not
have a functioning radio. The department of Homeland Security has
refused to comment on that statement.

That's news to me. Do you have any links I can check out? I tried Google,
but I may not be using the right search criteria.

--
John T