medical question

Old September 13th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default medical question

Like maybe "twenty
twenty-five"?

Nawh, if a woman says "twenty something", it means that at best, her 30th
birthday is coming up rather soon...

"twenty twenty-five" should be interpreted the same way as "twenty
three" or "twenty nine".

Me, I'm thirty-three. Hex.

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.
Old September 13th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Grumman-581 wrote:

My philosophy is to not go to doctors unless something is obviously broken
(i.e. bone sticking through the skin, etc)... The problem with going to the
doctor is that you find out things that you really don't want to know...

At one time that was the "manly Marine" thing to do, but do you have
grandchildren? If so, you are doing them a great disservice by not going
routinely and at least getting your PSA tested regularly for prostate
cancer, which has no outward symptoms until it's too late.

Famous people who died of prostate cancer that may possibly have been
treated had the cancer been caught early enough:

http://felix.unife.it/Root/d-Medicin...-cancer-famous

--
Peter
Old September 13th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Emily writes:

This wasn't an AME.

Then see a doctor who is. I doubt that she will concur with this
armchair diagnosis of depression. Better yet, find an AME who is also
a psychiatrist, if such exist.

This is great advice... IF she's ready to retire. You do not go to your AME for
physical problems unless they are truly debilitating, and even then, why bother?
If I have a stroke, I'll just quit flying. No need to give an AME $100 just to
tell me he can't approve my medical.

My best advice is to ignore this "diagnosis" and go find a doctor who will truly
investigate the cause of her fever. Don't take any aspirin or Tylenol before
you go to see him, either.

And stay the hell away from the AME unless you HAVE to see him.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Fast forward 14 years and I'm being worked up for some abdominal surgery.
The anesthesiologist asks how long has it been since I'd had an EKG? "Quite
a while", I replied. So he ordered one and it said I'd probably had a
septal wall MI at some point in the past. "How odd", I thought, "you'd
think I'd remember having a heart attack".

They don't always produce symptoms.

Particularly when one has never occurred. All told the false positives cost my
insurance company somewhere over $5,000. I didn't feel their pain.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old September 13th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

If you arent taking antidepressants, nope.

Change docs. NOW. Fire the one you have. He clearly isnt listening to
you as a patient.

Dave

Emily wrote:
I've been running a 102 degree fever for the past two weeks and have
been so tired I can barely get to work. Finally made a doctor's
appointment (with a new doctor) today, but wasn't planning on getting in
the same day and had taken Tylenol for the fever...so no fever when I
showed up.

Long story short, he ordered some blood work, but told me he thinks that
I am depressed, since I have fatigue with no fever. He said that if the
blood work comes back normal, he's writing it up as depression.

Obviously he's an idiot, since 1) fatigue has so many other causes and
2) I don't have depression, never have. This is just a bogus diagnosis.

My concern is, if he writes this up in my medical records, do I have to
report it to the FAA? I'm really terrified of this.

Old September 13th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Jose" wrote in message
.. .
"twenty twenty-five" should be interpreted the same way as "twenty
three" or "twenty nine".

So, for a woman, it means 35, 33, or 39...

Old September 13th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Emily wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:

Haven't you learned the "life isn't fair lesson" yet? :-)

Just keep your mouth shut and quit worrying about it. As long as you
aren't taking anti-depressants you don't have anything to worry about.

Read the application again. It asked if you've ever had or been
diagnosed with the list of problems.

A psychiatric diagnosis is a 5-axis (element) diagnosis, in accordance
with the DSM-IV that results from a comprehensive interview with a
trained mental health professional.

Your average doc in the box general practicioner or internist does not
have the time, nor inclination, to arrive at this diagnosis from the
same perspective as a trained mental health professional (which includes
psychiatrists, psychologists and other midlevel providers).

Based on your version of events being 100% truthful and accurate,

First and foremost.. you need to fire this doc. Now.

Select a new practicioner. In a different office/practice/group even if
its the same HMO.

Go in for a complete physical exam/initial visit and sit and discuss the
prior experience with the NEW practicioner, and explain your reason for
concern (I'm a pilot) with the old practicioner.

Also follow up/get the original problem addressed. Fever and malaise are
non-specific, which means MANY things can cause it, none of which are
smoking guns.. Bacterial infections, viral infections, Auto-immune
disorders.. Get checked for mono. A sed rate (a type of lab test) can
also show the presence of immune system stimulation/chronic inflammation
(its another non-specific indicator, but says SOMETHING is up, just not
what)

It goes without saying to be reasonable, measured and objective in
discussing the situation/previous practitioner.

As for disclosure on your next medical: You aren't taking
antidepressants.. and you aren't under the clinical care of a mental
health professional.. and you have not had a psychiatric diagnosis
rendered by a QUALIFIED mental health professional.. so vote your
conscience there. If you disclose, you WILL have hoops to jump through,
including the likelihood of a mandated visit to a psych MD, and likely
have a deferred medical in the interim.

Dave
RN and other stuff.
Old September 13th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

Yes. Do everything possible, legal or not, to avert the FAA medical
"requirements," which I have argued are a joke and this thread provides
some nice evidence that the pilot community agrees.

Like with all else GA-related, obey only those regulations you happen to
agree with.

Old September 13th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

"I SWEAR I had you kill filed...."

Maybe the fever caused the confusion....

Old September 13th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skylune[_1_]

So can some retired naval aviators I know personally.....