Cleaning old bugs

Old September 16th 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Default Cleaning old bugs

What's the best (safest) way to get year-old bugs off a gel wing?
I tried searching old posts, but I kept getting kicked out for some reason.

TIA,
Tim
Old September 16th 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 2:27:35 PM UTC-6, cuflyer wrote:
What's the best (safest) way to get year-old bugs off a gel wing?
I tried searching old posts, but I kept getting kicked out for some reason.

TIA,
Tim

Soak with soap and water first. I use a sponge and wipe down the wings several time and let soak for a few minutes. Get 3m Scotch-Briteâ„¢ Dobie or equivalent. These are sponges with a nylon netting over the sponge. These will remove the bugs well. When you are done cleaning, spray the leaning edges with Meguiar's Quik Wax and wipe down with a dry cloth. This will help limit the sticking between hard waxing or other coating you use. Best to get in the habit of wiping down the leading edges after flight, I keep a bucket about a quarter full with water in my car so I can clean while de-rigging.

Old September 17th 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bounce dryer sheets.Â* The bugs melt away.Â* I learned this trick from my
motorcycling.

I keep a garden sprayer filled with pure, clean water in the hangar.Â*
After a flight, I spray the leading edges and wipe with a microfiber
cloth.Â* Easy peasy!

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 17th 20, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Bounce dryer sheets. The bugs melt away. I learned this trick from my
motorcycling.

Wet or Dry? How does that work Dan?
ROY
Old September 17th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

I use an automotive spray product, Meguiar's Quick Detailer: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...16-16-oz-spray
Old September 17th 20, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 8:22:35 AM UTC-5, Gianni Isotope wrote:
I use an automotive spray product, Meguiar's Quick Detailer: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...16-16-oz-spray

Sorry, just saw TT already mentioned this
Old September 18th 20, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Wet.Â* Works great!

I used them on the windshield of my Harley but I don't think I'd try
them on my canopy.Â* Leading edges, yes.

Old September 18th 20, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sci Fi

On 9/17/2020 7:17 AM, Roy B. wrote:
Bounce dryer sheets. The bugs melt away. I learned this trick from my
motorcycling.

What is a 'Bounce Dryer'.. ? ( I'm English.)
Old September 18th 20, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 9:30:07 AM UTC-4, Sci Fi wrote:
On 9/17/2020 7:17 AM, Roy B. wrote:
Bounce dryer sheets. The bugs melt away. I learned this trick from my
motorcycling.

What is a 'Bounce Dryer'.. ? ( I'm English.)

A sheet you put into the dryer while washing clothes.....it's a softener and antistatic...