TFR announced over New York City

Old October 13th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default TFR announced over New York City

Emily writes:

Does this frighten anyone else?

Yes. Not only does it mean lots of hysterical false alarms thanks to
CNN, but it also means that the bad guys can do what they want, as
long as they can avoid being on TV.

Old October 13th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bob Noel writes:

Is CNN a source information or not?

It's not. It's a for-profit corporation. Its objective is to sell
advertising, which it does by broadcasting things that people want to
see. Any information that transpires during the course of this
activity is incidental.

Why would you want NORAD to NOT use a source of information?

When the source is demonstrably unreliable.

Remember, not too long ago, CNN claimed that a giant meteor was
hurtling towards our planet.

Was the aircraft on a flight plan? If not, would you expect NORAD
to know the aircraft's intentions?

Is NORAD supposed to know the intentions of every plane in the sky?

What is the downside of scrambling?

A hundred million dollars or so.

It's not like they gave any order to shoot.

It's not like they can fly for free.

Do you expect NORAD to have this magic sensor array where
they know the whereabouts of every single airborne target?

I expect them to keep cool heads and exercise good judgement. Making
decisions based on CNN's Breaking News is not in line with those
objectives.

Old October 13th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

If I was calling the shots, I wouldn't call for air support. I don't
believe in shooting down an unarmed civilian airliner simply because it
MIGHT be used as a weapon.

But that's because you're a pilot. Most people consider aircraft to
be dangerous and potential terrorist weapons except on the rare
occasions when they are riding in an aircraft themselves. GA aircraft
are always suspect because normal people never ride in GA aircraft.

Old October 13th 06, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Roy Smith wrote:

It's a no brainer, right? FSS is the official information source, and
CNN's just CNN, right?

Yep. CNN is a source. Obviously stuff reported on CNN needs to
be confirmed. But it's still a source

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 13th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Rick wrote:

Imagine the political fallout if they didn't take action.

Exactly my thought.
Old October 13th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
m...
Rick wrote:

Imagine the political fallout if they didn't take action.

Exactly my thought.

Ask any emergency response crew and they'll tell you that even though
they're 98% sure it's a false alarm, they still respond as if it real.

Old October 13th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
om...

Exactly, we ought to be launching the fighters at any sign of trouble.
I'm sure the F16 pilots won't mind.

Yes, for every automobile accident we should scramble the entire military
so as to spread panic amongst the entire population and show everyone that
'something' is being done. Never mind the fact no one knows what to do
where or why.

Dave, they actually did that in Portland during the filming of the movie
"The Hunted." Some ultralight pilot in Scapoose made a joke about flying
his kite into a building while he was fueling up, and the attendant decided
to freak out about three hours later. He called the police, who called the
OANG, who scrambled fighters up the river through downtown looking for
something to shoot down....

....nobody told them that they were filming a war scene for The Hunted right
near the industrial section/port about then. Apparently, some of the
background noise in the war scene includes scrambled F-15s wondering WTH had
just blown up.

-c

Old October 13th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Owen wrote:
snip

So if you were calling the shots, how long would you have waited to call
for air support?

If I was calling the shots, I wouldn't call for air support. I don't
believe in shooting down an unarmed civilian airliner simply because it
MIGHT be used as a weapon.

Just because the fighters are there doesn't mean they are going to shoot
someone down.

Old October 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Exactly, we ought to be launching the fighters at any sign of trouble.
I'm
sure the F16 pilots won't mind.

Have you checked the cost of launching the fighters?

On the job training.

Old October 13th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

...nobody told them that they were filming a war scene for The Hunted right
near the industrial section/port about then. Apparently, some of the
background noise in the war scene includes scrambled F-15s wondering WTH had
just blown up.

The movie producers should have informed CNN, the official information
source for NORAD.