More political BS .... Thanks CNN

Old October 13th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

Default More political BS .... Thanks CNN

New York crash prompts calls for airspace restrictions...

Here's the link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15247117/from/RS.3/

I saved the "good" stuff below...

EVERY time there is an accident the media gets the facts all bent out of
shape, the politicians go into overdrive spewing their re-election routine,
and the ignorant public starts ranting about things which they do not know.

It gets really old having people constantly attack a pasttime which I hold
so close to my heart.

NEW YORK - Federal officials on Friday were winding down their onsite
investigation of the crash of New York Yankees pitcher Corey Lidle’s plane
into a skyscraper and said they were reviewing rules that allow small
aircraft to fly in Manhattan’s crowded airspace.

The general aviation corridors around Manhattan have been “the Wild West,”
said Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y. He and Sen. Charles Schumer said anyone
flying near the island should be under the supervision of air traffic
controllers, especially in the post-Sept. 11 era.

“A smart terrorist could load up a small, little plane with biological,
chemical or even nuclear material and fly up the Hudson or East rivers, no
questions asked,” said Schumer, D-N.Y. “I hope this will be a wake-up call
to the FAA to re-examine flight patterns, which, amazingly enough, they
haven’t done since 9/11.”

New York’s Republican governor, George Pataki, also said the Federal
Aviation Administration “needs to take a much tougher line” about private,
or general aviation, flights over the city.

FAA spokeswoman Laura J. Brown said Thursday the agency has decided to
review those guidelines and flight restrictions.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old October 13th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

wrote:
Errr.... I mean thanks MSNBC... Oh well... they are all the same anyway...

Old October 13th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xeM

On 13 Oct 2006 16:26:27 GMT, wrote:

New York crash prompts calls for airspace restrictions...

Here's the link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15247117/from/RS.3/

I saved the "good" stuff below...

EVERY time there is an accident the media gets the facts all bent out of
shape, the politicians go into overdrive spewing their re-election routine,
and the ignorant public starts ranting about things which they do not know.

It gets really old having people constantly attack a pasttime which I hold
so close to my heart.

So your blaming the news media - CNN or MSNBC or whoever, for
reporting what the clueless elected officials are saying?

Old October 13th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyin'[email protected]

The media is to blame for their own stupidity.
The politicians only believe what they think the public wants them to
believe. Both attack GA out of pure ignorance.

You missed the point of the entire post.

Old October 13th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xeM

On 13 Oct 2006 17:35:49 GMT, wrote:

The media is to blame for their own stupidity.
The politicians only believe what they think the public wants them to
believe. Both attack GA out of pure ignorance.

You missed the point of the entire post.

So your blaming the news media - CNN or MSNBC or whoever, for
reporting what the clueless elected officials are saying?

No, I think I nailed the point of the post, which was to blame the
news media for bad reporting at a minimum,( or all the ills of the
world at a maximum), for simply quoting what some of the politicians
are saying / considering due to the recent crash in NYC. I'm not a
big fan of the news media either, with the current '24 hours / we must
be sensational and get ratings' standard of journalism, but in this
case it appears that they quoted the politicians accurately.
I do agree with your statement that stupidity certainly seems to lie
in the lap of the politicians and by extension, the people who elected
them.

Old October 13th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

The general aviation corridors around Manhattan have been “the Wild West,”
said Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y. He and Sen. Charles Schumer said anyone
flying near the island should be under the supervision of air traffic
controllers, especially in the post-Sept. 11 era.

“A smart terrorist could load up a small, little plane with biological,
chemical or even nuclear material and fly up the Hudson or East rivers, no
questions asked,” said Schumer, D-N.Y. “I hope this will be a wake-up call
to the FAA to re-examine flight patterns, which, amazingly enough, they
haven’t done since 9/11.”

Putting small aircraft under mandatory air traffic control would have
absolutely no effect at all on the risk of terrorism.

New York’s Republican governor, George Pataki, also said the Federal
Aviation Administration “needs to take a much tougher line” about private,
or general aviation, flights over the city.

Except when the flights are transporting him, I presume.

Old October 13th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message

The general aviation corridors around Manhattan have been "the Wild West,"
said Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y. He and Sen. Charles Schumer said anyone
flying near the island should be under the supervision of air traffic
controllers, especially in the post-Sept. 11 era.

CNN is responsible for what politicians say?

Actually, what CNN did last night was take a Cirrus up and recreate the
flight including trying to make the turn...the difference is, CNN did it at
2000 feet, which is what sane pilots would do, such that they didn't tangle
their prop in anybody's furniture. I thought that was pretty cool of them.

-c

Old October 13th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

wrote in message
The media is to blame for their own stupidity.

Then why quote what politicians say as if the media said it? Why not
actually quote what the media said?

I'll remind everybody again that last night, CNN aired footage of the
reporter flying a Cirrus through the same course. The difference is, of
course, they had permissioned to enter the Class B and flew at an altitude
sufficient to keep their prop out of people's bedrooms.

You missed the point of the entire post.

Then you didn't make it. You said "More political BS" and then thanked CNN
for what politicians said, and then said, oh, sorry, MSNBCWhatever, and then
said the media is to blame.

If there's a point, could you restate it more precisely? Thanks.

-c

Old October 13th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"xeM" wrote in message

No, I think I nailed the point of the post, which was to blame the
news media for bad reporting at a minimum,

By quoting politicians?

-c

Old October 13th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

gatt wrote:
I thought that was pretty cool of them.

That's because I'm sure it was quite easy for them to do. G

A CNN reporter, Miles O'Brien, owns his own SR20.