Long term storage

Old October 16th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

Default Long term storage

Old wives tale!

Karl
"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dont store a battery on a concrete floor! I kid you not. This is a well
known no no. The concrete secretes a gas that kills the battery. I know
that sounds weird but it's true.

Old October 16th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_1_]

karl gruber wrote:
Old wives tale!

I always thought it was a ball-busting attempt.

You're "grounding" the battery, which will ruin it! G
Old October 16th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Michelle P

B A R R Y wrote:
karl gruber wrote:

Old wives tale!

I always thought it was a ball-busting attempt.

You're "grounding" the battery, which will ruin it! G

So when is concrete considered ground?
Old October 16th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Denny" wrote in message
ps.com...
Leave it in your hangar... Pull the battery and put it in the parents
basement on a 'true' trickle charger - 12.8 volts trickle

Consider selling the battery for whatever you can get or giving it to a
good friend. I doubt that the battery you would have left after three years
will be worth the price of the trickle charger and three years of juice to power
it.

, check the
RV web stores for the real deal - taint cheap...

True enough. If anyone is interested, these people make my favorite float
charger: http://batterytender.com/default.php?cPath=11_2

I have been using their products for years with 100% success.

Vaughn

Old October 17th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JSBOUGHER

Thanks for all the ideas. Plan to scrap / donate battery.
Interestingly enough, you all with certified planes see this
differently than I. This is an automotive battery and dirt cheap to
replace. I wouldn't have thought to pull brake rotors and to grease
the wheel bearings - good lead. My parent basement is walk out and a
living level - dry as my family room (though I sure didn't say that).
Still think I'll pull engine and crate. If nothing else, this will
make plane small enough with wings and cowling/engine mount pulled that
I might be able to split a hanger with someone. No WAY I'm paying $275
to keep her in a hanger on her own without flying for 3 yrs.

So far:
1) pull avionics & store dry
2) scrap battery
3) pull & coat rotors, pack & wrap brgs
4) still thinking about where to store

Jeff

Old October 17th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Terry

Jeff...

Where you located in Ohio? I'm at (DLZ) Delaware Ohio...

Terry
N6401F

Old October 17th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_1_]

Michelle P wrote:

So when is concrete considered ground?

When it's part of a joke?

Old October 17th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-15, JSBOUGHER wrote:
Anyway, looks like I'll be parking my
beloved Velocity for quite some time - not willing to sell her

Nevertheless, you might consider how your storage choices would affect
your ability to sell it (remotely) if you ever change your mind.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 17th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"Doug" writes:

Dont store a battery on a concrete floor! I kid you not. This is a well
known no no. The concrete secretes a gas that kills the battery. I know
that sounds weird but it's true.

A long-time Urban Legend.....

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_battery.html
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq14.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9010715AAR2KVl

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old October 18th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JSBOUGHER

CAK in Canton - great airport but best when you miss the airline
departures. It's REALLY busy for 45 mins or so 3-4 times a day. I've
had the airport to myself at times. At other times I've waited 10-15
mins just to get on the mike and get a "59412, standby".
Jeff