737 Replacement

Old October 20th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default 737 Replacement

Old October 20th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . net,
"Mike Schumann" wrote:

The Boeing winglets aren't even a Boeing product. They are designed and
made by a 3rd party. Boeing is now installing them as a factory option on
new aircraft.

A lot of stuff on Boeing aircraft aren't Boeing products.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 20th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Bob Noel wrote:

A lot of stuff on Boeing aircraft aren't Boeing products.

A lot of stuff on a lot aircraft of any brand name aren't the same brand
name as the aircraft. G
Old October 20th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Skywise writes:

Computers are infallible.

But software is not--because software is written by human beings, who
are fallible.

Old October 20th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

A Guy Called Tyketto writes:

Safety can not be weighed against fuel economy.

They can be assigned priorities. I assign a higher priority to
safety, and I'm not alone.

People who put them in already understand the pros and cons for
what they are doing, and know when and when not to put them where they
are.

No, they do not, as Airbus has regularly illustrated, beginning way
back in Habsheim. Airbus cares more about fancy press than safety.
They care more about glitter than substance.

Oh, btw.. be sure to use the crank
next time you start your car, and to take out the computer modules that
help you start your engine.

No need for the first, but the second isn't such a bad idea.

Old October 21st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

But software is not--because software is written by human beings, who
are fallible.

oh, and whence do you reckon hardware comes? handed over to
us by angels or something? I have worked on low level embedded
stuff, and believe me, there are bugs in hardware -- even
though it is not always possible to get these @#%!! hardware
engineers to admit it. But I digress :-)

--Sylvain
Old October 21st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Sylvain writes:

oh, and whence do you reckon hardware comes?

Hardware testing is much more straightforward, because it is much more
difficult to design and build complex hardware, and because hardware
does not have many catastrophic failure modes. Additionally, hardware
is expensive and cannot easily be modified, so there is a much greater
incentive to get it right.

I have worked on low level embedded
stuff, and believe me, there are bugs in hardware ...

I don't doubt that, but it hardly excuses bugs in software.

Old October 21st 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Mxsmanic wrote:

But software is not--because software is written by human beings, who
are fallible.

oh, and whence do you reckon hardware comes? handed over to
us by angels or something? I have worked on low level embedded
stuff, and believe me, there are bugs in hardware -- even
though it is not always possible to get these @#%!! hardware
engineers to admit it. But I digress :-)

You are playing into his hands. That is how trolls work, remember?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 21st 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hardware testing is much more straightforward, because it is much more
difficult to design and build complex hardware, and because hardware
does not have many catastrophic failure modes. Additionally, hardware
is expensive and cannot easily be modified, so there is a much greater
incentive to get it right.

Oh really? How many circuit boards have you designed? I have designed
quite a few, and have done the embedded firmware for them as well.
Hardware designs can have bugs just as can software, they are just of a
different nature. Hardware bugs can be much harder to find and fix
than software becasue they are often the results of multiple variables
(circuit/environment/input conditions/power quality etc.). By
comparison, software is at least constrained to a specific set of
instructions and syntax. Plenty of hardware designs have bugs that
slip past initial testing and don't get found until the right corner
condition is hit...

Dean