Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

Old October 11th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A. Sinan Unur

Default Airplane in NYC is a Cirrus SR20

CNN is reporting that the pilot was a Yankee's pitcher: Lidle. He
apparently got his license only 7 months ago. Bragged about how safe his
plane was. I have a feeling this is similar to JFK junior's case of not
knowing one's limitations.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur
Old October 11th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
CNN is reporting that the pilot was a Yankee's pitcher: Lidle. He
apparently got his license only 7 months ago. Bragged about how safe his
plane was. I have a feeling this is similar to JFK junior's case of not
knowing one's limitations.

I talked with my aunt who also lives on the east side of Manhattan and she said
it's been a crappy day up there... in fact, while I was talking to her it
started raining.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old October 11th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
I talked with my aunt who also lives on the east side of Manhattan and she
said it's been a crappy day up there... in fact, while I was talking to
her it started raining.

CNN reports 8-mile visibility but low ceiling (1800') at the time of the
crash. (Most of CNN's coverage has been quite good; they're getting
commentary from their journalist Miles O'Brien, who's a pilot. They also
found a pilot eyewitness on the ground who provided a cogent account.)

--Gary

Old October 11th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
CNN is reporting that the pilot was a Yankee's pitcher: Lidle. He
apparently got his license only 7 months ago. Bragged about how safe his
plane was. I have a feeling this is similar to JFK junior's case of not
knowing one's limitations.

The hourly METARS for 1800 and 1900Z for the area airports put things
at 017OVC and 7 Miles. It had been poorer (008OVC and 2 1/2 RA).
Old October 11th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

An old NYT article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/sp...erland&emc=rss

NYC weather looks pretty crappy today.

Old October 11th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"City Dweller" wrote in message
He busted Class B too.

What makes you say so? The crash site is abeam FDR Island, adjacent to part
of the East River VFR corridor. (Or do you just mean that he was slightly
inland at the moment of the crash?) And is it known yet if he might have had
a Class B clearance?

--Gary

Old October 11th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Isn't the restricted floor in the area ~1500 feet?

1500 foot floor, 1800 foot cieling... VFR into IMC anyone?

Old October 11th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"EridanMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Isn't the restricted floor in the area ~1500 feet?

1500 foot floor, 1800 foot cieling... VFR into IMC anyone?

No. Class E in the corridor has a *ceiling* of 1100-1500 feet, not a floor.

--Gary

Trip report: Cirrus SR-22 demo flight Jose Piloting 13 September 22nd 06 11:08 PM
Cirrus demo Dan Luke Piloting 12 December 4th 05 06:26 AM
Parachute fails to save SR-22 Capt.Doug Piloting 72 February 10th 05 06:14 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM