TFR announced over New York City

Old October 12th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Default TFR announced over New York City

TFR over Manhattan!

As a result of a general aviation airplane crash into a tall building on
the East Side of Manhattan, New York County, FAA has issued a TFR
effective for a one nautical mile radius around 6N5 (East 34th St
Heliport) extending to 1,500 ft above the surface.

It is effective until further notice.

Old October 12th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Owen wrote:

As a result of a general aviation airplane crash into a tall building on
the East Side of Manhattan, New York County, FAA has issued a TFR
effective for a one nautical mile radius around 6N5 (East 34th St
Heliport) extending to 1,500 ft above the surface.

Probably to keep the curious away.

--
Peter
Old October 12th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Owen wrote:
TFR over Manhattan!

As a result of a general aviation airplane crash into a tall building on
the East Side of Manhattan, New York County, FAA has issued a TFR
effective for a one nautical mile radius around 6N5 (East 34th St
Heliport) extending to 1,500 ft above the surface.

It is effective until further notice.

I'm actually somewhat ok with that. It's really no different than a
restricted area over a disaster sight. Keeps the idiots away. Why this
is more news than any other small airplane crash is beyond me, though.

As long as it doesn't become permanent (DC, anyone?)
Old October 12th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Emily wrote:

Why this
is more news than any other small airplane crash is beyond me, though.

NY City, which is really still deeply scarred from 9/11, experiences
another aircraft crashing into a building. It is understandable why there
was a sensationalistic reaction.

--
Peter
Old October 12th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Emily wrote:

I'm actually somewhat ok with that. It's really no different than a
restricted area over a disaster sight. Keeps the idiots away. Why this
is more news than any other small airplane crash is beyond me, though.

why it is more news than any other crash is quite understandable though;
I mean, come on: an airplane crashing into tall buildings in New York.
Even considering the very short memory of the average joe in this country,
it is bound to create an interest. Now you know, like most of us on
this newsgroup, that it shouldn't be as big a deal as made by the media,
but this is unavoidable. And we should be paying attention too, for
a different reason: let's brace ourselves for how this is going to be
spun by our beloved politicians, in particular all these mayors with
ADIZ-envy...

--Sylvain
Old October 12th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Peter R. wrote:
Emily wrote:

Why this
is more news than any other small airplane crash is beyond me, though.

NY City, which is really still deeply scarred from 9/11, experiences
another aircraft crashing into a building. It is understandable why there
was a sensationalistic reaction.

I was more speaking about the reaction here. It's all over the news,
everyone at work has been asking me about it. Same thing happened in
Tampa in 2001, and didn't cause this much talk. Whenever the media
publicizes a "celebrity" dying in a small plane crash, it hurts GA.
Old October 12th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Emily wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
Emily wrote:

Why this
is more news than any other small airplane crash is beyond me, though.

NY City, which is really still deeply scarred from 9/11, experiences
another aircraft crashing into a building. It is understandable why there
was a sensationalistic reaction.

I was more speaking about the reaction here. It's all over the news,
everyone at work has been asking me about it. Same thing happened in
Tampa in 2001, and didn't cause this much talk. Whenever the media
publicizes a "celebrity" dying in a small plane crash, it hurts GA.

Tampa is quite a bit different from New York City, particularly with respect to
the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which also involved airplanes crashing into tall
buildings.

Old October 12th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Emily wrote:

Whenever the media
publicizes a "celebrity" dying in a small plane crash, it hurts GA.

I am in total agreement.

--
Peter
Old October 12th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Owen" wrote in message ...
TFR over Manhattan!

As a result of a general aviation airplane crash into a tall building on
the East Side of Manhattan, New York County, FAA has issued a TFR
effective for a one nautical mile radius around 6N5 (East 34th St
Heliport) extending to 1,500 ft above the surface.

It is effective until further notice.

That's pretty much SOP for any accident.

Old October 12th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

The unnoticed action in this accident is the scramble by NORAD, over a
single incident of damage involving 4 windows in an apartment
building... What is next, scrambling when some kid falls off a swing?
How gutless and knee jerk predictable we have become... Any boxer will
tell you that when you can get your opponent to react consistently and
predictably you have the fight won...
The jihadists are winning because we are busily destroying our free
society in response to them - and that is what they are after and
happily watching as we do 'their work'...

denny