Beacons/anticollision lights and engines

Old October 14th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Beacons/anticollision lights and engines

I understand that one normally turns on beacons or anticollision
lights whenever an aircraft's engines are running. Is this a
regulation, or just a polite custom?

Old October 14th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kingfish

Mxsmanic wrote:
I understand that one normally turns on beacons or anticollision
lights whenever an aircraft's engines are running. Is this a
regulation, or just a polite custom?

Hmmm. Do you turn on your virtual strobe before you start your virtual
engine, so as not to endanger anyone with your virtual prop?

Old October 14th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

Kingfish wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
I understand that one normally turns on beacons or anticollision
lights whenever an aircraft's engines are running. Is this a
regulation, or just a polite custom?

Hmmm. Do you turn on your virtual strobe before you start your virtual
engine, so as not to endanger anyone with your virtual prop?

Can't he just read the regulations? He's obviously got access to
internet.

§ 91.209 Aircraft lights.

No person may:

(a) During the period from sunset to sunrise (or, in Alaska, during the
period a prominent unlighted object cannot be seen from a distance of 3
statute miles or the sun is more than 6 degrees below the horizon)—

(1) Operate an aircraft unless it has lighted position lights;

(2) Park or move an aircraft in, or in dangerous proximity to, a night
flight operations area of an airport unless the aircraft—

(i) Is clearly illuminated;

(ii) Has lighted position lights; or

(iii) is in an area that is marked by obstruction lights;

(3) Anchor an aircraft unless the aircraft—

(i) Has lighted anchor lights; or

(ii) Is in an area where anchor lights are not required on vessels; or

(b) Operate an aircraft that is equipped with an anticollision light
system, unless it has lighted anticollision lights. However, the
anticollision lights need not be lighted when the pilot-in-command
determines that, because of operating conditions, it would be in the
interest of safety to turn the lights off.
Old October 14th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Kingfish writes:

Hmmm. Do you turn on your virtual strobe before you start your virtual
engine, so as not to endanger anyone with your virtual prop?

I turn on the beacon. I understood that the strobe is for low
visibility conditions and that a lot of pilots are irritated by
strobes operating on the ground. Whereas the beacon simply indicates
that the engines are turning (in addition to improving visibility).

In a 737, I turn on the anticollision lights before engine start.

Old October 14th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

[...]

Nothing in this quoted section mentions engines, so it doesn't answer
my question.

Old October 14th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

Haha, in a 737... you mean in Bill Gates somewhat grainy representation
of a 737 you mean.

prior to engine start the beacon goes on, once you start up if it's
night time put all the lights on for taxi, if there are others that
might be impacted by the strobes turn them off, if you're flying in a
cloud (or in your case a pretend cloud) turn the strobes off to prevent
the reflection of the strobes from giving you vertigo - you might fall
off your chair.

Old October 14th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Emily wrote in
:

Can't he just read the regulations? He's obviously got access to
internet.

Maybe we all should answer his questions just like you did Emily.

Just point him to FAR / AIMS.

You were nicer then me, as I was only going to put a link and let him
click through it. I.E tell him the answer can be found at:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...ecfrbrowse/Tit
le14/14tab_02.tpl

Allen
Old October 14th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Trying again.... Stupid newsreader puts a line break in long URLs.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?
&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl
Old October 14th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

A Lieberma wrote in
. 18:

Trying again.... Stupid newsreader puts a line break in long URLs.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?
&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl

Anybody know of a better newsgroup reader (freeware) then what I am using?
Xnews just drives me nuts sometimes esepcially with word wrapping.

Allen
Old October 14th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

A Lieberma wrote:
Emily wrote in
:

Can't he just read the regulations? He's obviously got access to
internet.

Maybe we all should answer his questions just like you did Emily.

Just point him to FAR / AIMS.

Problem is, he won't look it up on his own. It's not hard to find the
CFR online, and it's not hard to order a FAR/AIM on the internet. Next
thing I know, he'll probably be arguing that the reference I posted is
incorrect.

Personally, I'd rather look it up myself than wait for someone here to
answer my question.

[VERY LONG} MD airplanes, complete and projects, engines, gliders, many other items. [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 June 10th 06 10:51 PM
Landing lights Robert Barker Owning 20 May 11th 06 02:33 AM
Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
36HP VW Engine Claton Cadmus Home Built 12 October 24th 03 05:18 AM