ATC speed instructions, wind and altimeter indications

Old October 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default ATC speed instructions, wind and altimeter indications

ATC never gives me speed instructions in simulation; how common are
they in real life? I presume they know enough about aircraft types to
know how fast or slow they can go?

Also, don't controllers give wind speed and direction when clearing
someone for take-off? I never get that in simulation, but I could
swear that I've heard it regularly in real ATC.

And another thing: Do controllers provide altimeter settings only in
specific circumstances, or what? Apparently after a handoff from one
center to another they give altimeter settings, but when otherwise?

I don't trust ATC in the simulation much. It provides some practice
but there's a lot missing, and even with the little bit of ATC I've
listened to in real life (years ago--can't easily do it here), I seem
to recall discrepancies.

Old October 15th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

I don't trust ATC in the simulation much. It provides some practice
but there's a lot missing, and even with the little bit of ATC I've
listened to in real life (years ago--can't easily do it here), I seem
to recall discrepancies.

Well, gee, why bother with the simulation if you are not trusting it?????

It's not like you are getting any benefit from simulation since you wont'
get in a REAL PLANE.

Allen
Old October 15th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

B A R R Y writes:

All answers to follow are USA based.

Good.

On approach and departure in busy airspace, they can be common.
Straight and level or quiet airspace, not so common. For fast
aircraft, there are speed limits below 10,000 feet and near class B &
C airports. I'm usually told to keep my speed up in the spam cans I
fly. G

What is a spam can? A small aircraft?

Usually on initial contact, when new weather information is issued, or
as a subtle reminder when you're not maintaining the altitude you are
expected to be at. G Before they yell at you for drifting, most
controllers will remind you of the current local altimeter setting.

You have so much interest in this, you have got to get up in the real
thing...

Not possible or practical at this time, I'm afraid.

Old October 15th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
buttman

A Lieberma wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

I don't trust ATC in the simulation much. It provides some practice
but there's a lot missing, and even with the little bit of ATC I've
listened to in real life (years ago--can't easily do it here), I seem
to recall discrepancies.

Well, gee, why bother with the simulation if you are not trusting it?????

It's not like you are getting any benefit from simulation since you wont'
get in a REAL PLANE.

Allen

now who's the one trolling

Old October 15th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Emily

buttman wrote:
A Lieberma wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

I don't trust ATC in the simulation much. It provides some practice
but there's a lot missing, and even with the little bit of ATC I've
listened to in real life (years ago--can't easily do it here), I seem
to recall discrepancies.

Well, gee, why bother with the simulation if you are not trusting it?????

It's not like you are getting any benefit from simulation since you wont'
get in a REAL PLANE.

Allen

now who's the one trolling

It's not trolling, it's frustration.
Old October 15th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
ATC never gives me speed instructions in simulation; how common are
they in real life? I presume they know enough about aircraft types to
know how fast or slow they can go?

I fly a Mooney so speed restrictions are not uncommon when approaching
busy GA fields.
Strangely about a month ago I was coming into SMO VFR and about the
time I crossed the fence tower said "93V, you're too fast". I have no
idea what that was suppose to mean but I continued to land since he
didn't say otherwise. I asked my wife afterwards if I heard it
correctly and she said I did. Since there is only about 10 seconds
between crossing the fence and touch down there wasn't time to ask
questions. Anyway, that's my "that was very odd" ATC story. Maybe he
didn't think I could stop in time. I think I was doing 170 kts on
approach ground speed but was only doing about 100 over the fence. Not
too uncommon speeds for very busy airports.

-Robert, CFII

Old October 15th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

http://www.liveatc.net/

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 15th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

I fly a Mooney so speed restrictions are not uncommon when approaching
busy GA fields.
Strangely about a month ago I was coming into SMO VFR and about the
time I crossed the fence tower said "93V, you're too fast".

Just a thought, but was it the same voice you heard while talking to the tower?

I was thinking it could have been an onlooker (like mxsmanic) standing by the
fence with a handheld.

Could it be that the tower got a speed from a radar sweep that was taken just
before you slowed down?
--
Jim in NC

Old October 15th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

... I don't trust ATC in the simulation much. It provides some practice
but there's a lot missing, and even with the little bit of ATC I've
listened to in real life (years ago--can't easily do it here), I seem
to recall discrepancies.

Right....

You wouldn't know a discrepancy if it hit you in the ass.
--
Jim in NC
Old October 15th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Emily wrote in
:

It's not trolling, it's frustration.

Exactly right Emily, thanks for understanding.

To ask input from folks and have no intent of utilizing all the outstanding
advice / answers just sits wrong with me especially if he is only in a
simulator.

It's not like he is even using the simulator to prepare for flying a real
plane. He is using the simulator as if it is a real plane and it's not.

It'a a game and to say he can't trust a game to simulate the real thing and
expect real pilots to expect to understand why the simulator isn't like the
real thing is rediculous.

He should post his simulator performance training questions in a simulator
group if he has no intent of getting in a real plane.

Allen