Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

Old October 21st 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Are autopilots allowed for IFR training?

Can you use an autopilot when training for or being examined for an
instrument rating, or do you have to fly the aircraft by hand?

Old October 22nd 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Mxsmanic wrote:
Can you use an autopilot when training for or being examined for an
instrument rating, or do you have to fly the aircraft by hand?

There are varieties of "autopilot". 1,2,3-axis, coupled to GPS,
coupled to ILS, wing-leveler, etc.

Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on, it holds
the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled to anything,
it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as winds. I can
start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
are from the north, then my actual track is more southerly, depending
on the strength of the winds.

As for IFR training -- you betcha! It's one way to reduce the load on
the student. Need to get charts for an unexpected diversion? Turn on
the AP, reach over and get the charts and start looking for the
right one.

Now, the DE can fail the AP during the exam. In exams, almost anything
is fair game.

Old October 22nd 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Blanche wrote:
Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on, it holds
the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled to anything,
it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as winds. I can
start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
are from the north, then my actual track is more southerly, depending
on the strength of the winds.

I assume you understand the difference between heading and track?
Old October 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Can you use an autopilot when training for or being examined for an
instrument rating, or do you have to fly the aircraft by hand?

A question like this might be best asked on Rec.Aviation.Student.
Old October 22nd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Yes.

In point of fact many large ac are not hand flown, except rarely.

In point of fact, gear up, ap on, autoland armed on approach. Or it is
taken at minimums.

On very large ac, there really is no hand flying happening. And with
three autopilots, it is not even considered to be a possible failure.
Meaning on rides, you can, without penalty, rely on "Otto". Yes even
with an engine out.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rip

Judah wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Can you use an autopilot when training for or being examined for an
instrument rating, or do you have to fly the aircraft by hand?

A question like this might be best asked on Rec.Aviation.Student.

This guy's not a student. He's a nag with Microsoft Flight Simulator
that won't bother to take any of the suggestions provided here.
Old October 22nd 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Roy Smith wrote:
Blanche wrote:
Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on, it holds
the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled to anything,
it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as winds. I can
start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
are from the north, then my actual track is more southerly, depending
on the strength of the winds.

I assume you understand the difference between heading and track?

It sounds like he does. He was giving a simple example of what would
happen if he set his autopilot heading to his course, with no
adjustment for wind. His track would then be affected, as he said.

Regards, Kev

Old October 22nd 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Roy Smith wrote:
Blanche wrote:
Me, personally, have a 1/2-axis autopilot. Turn it on, it holds
the heading. Well, not really. Since it's not coupled to anything,
it doesn't know when there's any deviation, such as winds. I can
start out on a heading of 120, turn on the AP. If winds
are from the north, then my actual track is more southerly, depending
on the strength of the winds.

I assume you understand the difference between heading and track?

Heading: direction in which the longitudinal axis of the aircraft
points with respect to true or magnetic north. Heading is equal to
course plus or minus any wind correction angle.

Course: intended direction of flight in the horizontal plane measured
in degrees from north.

Track: actual flight path of an aircraft over the ground. Also referred
to as ground track.

Ref: Aviation Dictionary, Jeppesen, 2003.

OK - my bad. I should have stated "start out on a course of 120". But
the use of "track" is correct, true?
Old October 22nd 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

It sounds like he does. He was giving a simple example of what would
happen if he set his autopilot heading to his course, with no
adjustment for wind. His track would then be affected, as he said.

Are there autopilots that will actually hold the aircraft to a track
instead of a heading? I imagine it would require close integration
with a GPS or other navaids that permit the actual path over the
ground to be determined (GPS may provide this directly; it might have
to be inferred from other navaids).

Old October 22nd 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

A question like this might be best asked on Rec.Aviation.Student.

Because licensed pilots don't have instrument ratings?

tailwheel endorsement Jose Piloting 65 April 27th 06 01:59 AM
Training Day before SSA Convention Paul Remde Soaring 6 November 9th 05 11:00 PM
Advice and experts with 400 series Cessnas (414 and 421), purchase and training [email protected] Owning 36 January 9th 05 02:32 AM