Why would you guess they started saying this on the ATIS?

Old May 10th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Default Why would you guess they started saying this on the ATIS?

KHFD;

"Beware closed field 1 1/2 m NE". I presume it must have been a NOTAM
also -- (but it's not there anymore).

That field has been closed for 10+ years, and they just started
appending this to the local ATIS. Haven't heard of any incidents, or
changes to that closed field.
Old May 10th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

tman inv@lid wrote:
KHFD;

"Beware closed field 1 1/2 m NE". I presume it must have been a NOTAM
also -- (but it's not there anymore).

That field has been closed for 10+ years, and they just started
appending this to the local ATIS. Haven't heard of any incidents, or
changes to that closed field.

My guess would be someone landed or almost landed there by mistake.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 10th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

"tman" inv@lid wrote in message

KHFD;

"Beware closed field 1 1/2 m NE". I presume it must have been a NOTAM
also -- (but it's not there anymore).

That field has been closed for 10+ years, and they just started appending
this to the local ATIS. Haven't heard of any incidents, or changes to that
closed field.

Why guess? Why don't you just ask the tower?

Old May 10th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Why guess? Why don't you just ask the tower?

Good pt. They did give me a phone number, I presume to their personal
phone, after I landed at that closed field...

Old May 10th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 10, 6:48*am, tman inv@lid wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Why guess? *Why don't you just ask the tower?

Good pt. *They did give me a phone number, I presume to their personal
phone, after I landed at that closed field...

Didn't ya see the big X's. ??
Old May 10th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Why guess? Why don't you just ask the tower?

Good pt. They did give me a phone number, I presume to their personal
phone, after I landed at that closed field...

The closed airport is the former Rentschler Field. For a bit of history
about it see

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...tml#Rentschler

That history includes this:

John Marchesseault reported in 2007, "Brainard Airport (an active airport a
very short distance away) has a runway at about the same heading. A pilot
friend of mine was telling me it was not uncommon for pilot unfamiliar with
the area to land at the wrong airport! Last summer a pilot from Westchester
NY did exactly that! Apparently not noticing the giant 'X' on the runway...
or the football stadium at the other end. It was discovered by a Fire
marshal at a meeting in one of the stadium offices. In the middle of the
meeting he saw the plane on final and for a short time it hit the fan. The
plane landed safely & took off again, returning to NY."

So how did you come to land on it? It's still depicted as a closed airport
on the New York sectional and recent aerial imagery shows a multitude of
yellow Xs on the runways.

Old May 23rd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:25:42 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

pilot friend of mine was telling me it was not uncommon for pilot
unfamiliar with the area to land at the wrong airport!

My CFII set me up for this during my training (though I no longer recall
the details). It was good awareness practice: know where the airport is
supposed to be.

- Andrew
Old May 23rd 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Fri, 23 May 2008 00:42:24 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gideon
wrote:

On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:25:42 -0500, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

pilot friend of mine was telling me it was not uncommon for pilot
unfamiliar with the area to land at the wrong airport!

My CFII set me up for this during my training (though I no longer recall
the details). It was good awareness practice: know where the airport is
supposed to be.

I noticed lat Sunday that KHFD (Brainard - Hartford, CT) is again
broadcasting an ATIS warning about a nearby closed field, Renschler
Field.

From the air, the closed field is much more noticeable than Brainard.

Did somebody try to land at Renschler again? G

Here's an overhead shot:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=KHFD&ie=UTF8&ll=41.74474 1,-72.639799&spn=0.034261,0.058365&t=h&z=14

Brainard is on the left, Renschler is on the right.
Old May 23rd 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

B A R R Y wrote:
Here's an overhead shot:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=KHFD&ie=UTF8&ll=41.74474 1,-72.639799&spn=0.034261,0.058365&t=h&z=14

Brainard is on the left, Renschler is on the right.

Geez! I can understand mistaking airports that are only a few miles apart,
but these two have a large river between them. Even the navigationally
challenged ought to be able to figure out which is which. The closed airport
is on the "wrong" side of the river.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 23rd 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:11:57 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote:

The closed airport
is on the "wrong" side of the river.

You'd think that would help. G

Apparently, the problem is that the closed airport is much more
apparent from certain angles, so some folks don't realize there's two.