CHEROKEE LANDS ON STINSON: ALL OK

Old May 19th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default CHEROKEE LANDS ON STINSON: ALL OK

http://www.wfaa.com/video/?z=y&nvid=245640
First Video: Improbable crash at Roanoke airport
May 15th, 2008

A small plane has landed on top of another aircraft as it was waiting
to take off at Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoke. These are first
pictures from HD Chopper 8.
Read the full story:
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...103382c61.html
Old May 20th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

On May 19, 2:38*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
http://www.wfaa.com/video/?z=y&nvid=245640
First Video: Improbable crash at Roanoke airport
May 15th, 2008

A small plane has landed on top of another aircraft as it was waiting
to take off at Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoke. These are first
pictures from HD Chopper 8.
Read the full story:http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...tories/wfaa080...

I can see a check ride in the future for the Cherokee pilot...

denny
Old May 20th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Im very impressed on the ability of the stinson on not collapsing.
Lou
Old May 20th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 20 May 2008 12:01:24 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote in 28:

Denny wrote
I can see a check ride in the future for the Cherokee pilot...

????????
(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing,
have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the
surface,

Bob Moore

Right. From the video
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa080515_wz_roanokecrash.103382c61.html
it is apparent that the Stinson must have begun his takeoff roll while
the Cherokee was about to touchdown, as it was obviously not
positioned behind the runway threshold. It looks like yet another
high-wing/low-wing blind spot mishap, and begs the question of CTAF
position broadcasts.
Old May 20th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Tue, 20 May 2008 04:07:45 -0700 (PDT), Denny
wrote:

I can see a check ride in the future for the Cherokee pilot...

My money is on the Stinson, or both.
Old May 20th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

Denny wrote
I can see a check ride in the future for the Cherokee pilot...

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...103382c61.html

I saw two Galapagos turtles doing something like this at the Honolulu
Zoo one time.

-c
Old May 20th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Larry Dighera wrote:
It looks like yet another
high-wing/low-wing blind spot mishap, and begs the question of CTAF
position broadcasts.

According to the accounts I have read, both pilots were communicating with
each other on the CTAF. Apparently, they had a misunderstanding about who
was going to use the runway first. The Cherokee pilot understood that the
Stinson would hold, and the Stinson pilot thought he'd been OK'ed to go.

Didn't Stinson and Piper merge (less dramatically) back in the 60s?

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 20th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

This will do nothing to settle the low wing vs high wing argument,
will it?

What puzzles me is I'd have thought the Stinson had to be on the
runway well ahead of the Piper, and although the Piper had right of
way shouldn't the other airplane have been visible? The runway may
have had the same color intensity as the Stinson, but it was a
different hue.

A slow airplane accelerating for take off, and a faster one
decelerating for landing, it takes just an awful set of circumstances
where the two paths converge at the same time on the runway.

Most times at uncontrolled airports we visit or use, the airplanes
waiting to take off usually are facing the downwind direction, or are
at least parked 45 degrees toward the incoming traffic for improved
visibility. Is that not common?

Old May 20th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:46:17 -0700 (PDT), Tina
wrote in
:

Most times at uncontrolled airports we visit or use, the airplanes
waiting to take off usually are facing the downwind direction, or are
at least parked 45 degrees toward the incoming traffic for improved
visibility. Is that not common?

If I recall correctly, there were a line of trees at the airport
boundary that may have obscured the aircraft from each other. But
aircraft that decline to participate in broadcasting their positions
on CTAF at uncontrolled fields are hazards. I have no idea if radio
communications were being used by either of the two aircraft involved
in this mishap.