Jay - You guys under water?

Old June 13th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Jay - You guys under water?

"Airbus" wrote in message ...
Got floats on that single?
Floats on the hotel?

Floats on the 'Coupe?
Old June 14th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Not quite.

We spent all day sand-bagging, with an army of volunteers helping. Water is
flowing across the road between us and the airport to the south, and at the
intersection to the north. We've built a wall around the lowest of our two
buildings, (but have little faith that this will hold if the river rises as
much as predicted. Dozens of sand-bag walls have failed, all over town.

The American Barnstormers Tour, an event we worked on for six months (and
for which we provided primary sponsorship) has been cancelled. The pilots
could have made it in today, but -- with the river expected to go up another
four feet -- they probably wouldn't have made it out. No sense in risking
20 one-of-a-kind aircraft, so they've moved on to their next stop on the
multi-state tour.

Since they had the whole hotel booked, we are nearly empty. Unfortunately,
being nearly cut off by flood waters, even though we're still dry we've got
little business. And no none knows what tomorrow will bring, so folks are
sensibly staying in hotels that are on higher ground.

We flew Atlas to a nearby airport today (and one of the wonderful volunteers
gave Joe and I a ride back, fording deep flood waters to make it back), and
our "new" Ercoupe is now hanging from the engine hoist in my A&P's hangar,
like a big Xmas ornament. Ironically, we saw the most GA traffic at our
airport in YEARS, with everyone getting out of the rivers way.

This catastrophe -- the worst natural disaster in Iowa history -- has been
an awful, slow-motion freight train crashing, like watching a freighter
heading toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Nothing and no one can stop it.

Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See: http://tinyurl.com/5o823a
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Airbus" wrote in message
Got floats on that single?
Floats on the hotel?

Old June 14th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Jay Honeck wrote:

Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See: http://tinyurl.com/5o823a

Good luck to you and sympathies to all the people in the mid west losing
so much.
Old June 14th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See: http://tinyurl.com/5o823a

Good luck to you and sympathies to all the people in the mid west losing
so much.

Thanks.

Incidentally, the bar in the first picture ("Wig & Pen", in the gallery
linked, above) is one of our favorite places to eat, and one that many folks
who have joined us for dinner/drinks will recognize. The Heartland Inn
(also pictured) is where we always send folks when we're sold out, as they
are run by a great bunch of folks.

Hard to imagine their despair at having six feet of water in their
businesses...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 14th 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Jun 13, 8:10 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
This catastrophe -- the worst natural disaster in Iowa history -- has been
an awful, slow-motion freight train crashing, like watching a freighter
heading toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Nothing and no one can stop it.

Incredible, worst in 500 years the news says, comparable
to Katrina/New Orleans in damage, and from what I can
tell, worse yet to come...hot summer heat, mosquitos,
fungus after the water receeds.

Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See:http://tinyurl.com/5o823a

Good Luck!
Ken

Old June 14th 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Airbus[_4_]

Got floats on that single?
Floats on the hotel?

Old June 14th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul M. Anton

Good luck to you and yours Jay

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old June 14th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Jay Honeck wrote:

The American Barnstormers Tour, an event we worked on for six months
(and for which we provided primary sponsorship) has been cancelled.

I see Ames got it early because of your loss. They had some flooding
too, though, didn't they?

This catastrophe -- the worst natural disaster in Iowa history -- has
been an awful, slow-motion freight train crashing, like watching a
freighter heading toward the Golden Gate Bridge. Nothing and no one can
stop it.

Glad you're safe, and won't lose everything even if it continues to get
worse. I've got old friends who spent their time between work shifts in
Des Moines sandbagging. I'd be too, if I hadn't moved out to the edge
of the continent last year.
Stay safe and warm. You're the most important thing to keep secure from
the floodwaters.
Old June 14th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Still, we've been very lucky. Hundreds of businesses and home are under
water right now... See: http://tinyurl.com/5o823a

Good luck to you and sympathies to all the people in the mid west losing
so much.

Thanks.

Incidentally, the bar in the first picture ("Wig & Pen", in the gallery
linked, above) is one of our favorite places to eat, and one that many
folks who have joined us for dinner/drinks will recognize. The Heartland
Inn (also pictured) is where we always send folks when we're sold out, as
they are run by a great bunch of folks.

Hard to imagine their despair at having six feet of water in their
businesses...
--

I certainly hope that your sandbags hold, and the water level recedes.

Peter

Old June 15th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I certainly hope that your sandbags hold, and the water level recedes.

Latest aerial photos from Iowa City:
http://tinyurl.com/5awhnt

Latest photos from the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, our hotel:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/great_flood_of_2008.htm

Things are looking better here.
--
Jay Honeck