Trailer Paint Scheme

Old July 9th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

Default Trailer Paint Scheme

Alligator Stud Service

At 11:25 09 July 2009, Spam wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:30=A0pm, KevinFinke wrote:
My favorite thing to tell people is that I'm a member of the

UWRSL

Under Water Racing Submarine League...

That's great! I'm going to start using that!!!

Or...

You could paint this image on the rudder....
http://www.vaq136.com/russians=
/startitle.gif

and while your driving wear one of these.....
http://www.chapelbaitsupplies.co.uk/shop/images/HAT.jpg

Old July 9th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 9, 9:45*am, Nyal Williams wrote:
Alligator Stud Service

At 11:25 09 July 2009, Spam wrote:

On Jul 8, 7:30=A0pm, KevinFinke *wrote:
My favorite thing to tell people is that I'm a member of the

UWRSL

Under Water Racing Submarine League...

That's great! *I'm going to start using that!!!

Or...

You could paint this image on the rudder....
http://www.vaq136.com/russians=
/startitle.gif

and while your driving wear one of these.....
http://www.chapelbaitsupplies.co.uk/shop/images/HAT.jpg

I'd copy the 'Cobra' logo. Make the letters four feet high, sailplane
pilots will laugh and the general public will still be wondering...
Old July 10th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kizuno

Here's an example of a brewery sponsorship on a Cobra trailer. Go to
the bottom of the article for the image. I took this photo in 2002
while at Zbraslavice in the Czech Republic. Hey, the Czechs are #1 in
per capita beer consumption, so why not!

http://www.pacificsoaring.org/articles/Zbraslavice.html

Kemp
Old July 10th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

On Jul 10, 2:44*pm, kizuno wrote:
Here's an example of a brewery sponsorship on a Cobra trailer. *Go to
the bottom of the article for the image. *I took this photo in 2002
while at Zbraslavice in the Czech Republic. *Hey, the Czechs are #1 in
per capita beer consumption, so why not!

http://www.pacificsoaring.org/articles/Zbraslavice.html

Kemp

Hmmm I think a Michelob Golden Light logo would look pretty schanzzy
on the side of Tony's trailer :-)

Pete
Old July 11th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gen

I too spotted the USAF trailers at Parowan earlier this week, and
didn't fail to take a few shots (see last 5 photos).
http://picasaweb.google.com/gens2000/Parowan20090705

-Gen

On Jul 8, 8:28*pm, Dave Newill wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:22*pm, "BT" wrote:

be Patriotic
Put parallel red and blue band, each about 4in wide and separated by 2
inches down the length of the side about 2/3 of the way from bottom to top.

It gives contrast to the plain white trailer, and it looks good too.

"Tony Condon" wrote in message

Im in the process of reskinning the trailer for the Cherokee and am nearly
ready to start riveting aluminum. *I plan to paint it a nice white to help
avoid cooking my glider. *Im thinking that a plain white trailer would be
boring, what should I paint on it? *A few suggestions were a side view of
the glider. *I also thought it would be cool to put some sort of landout
map to document everywhere I've been. *Also,www.ssa.organdsince I live
in Kansas now,www.soarkansas.orgwebsiteswould be good. *What does RAS
think?

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Take a look at the USAF Academy trailers for their Duo! I will try to
post the photo on SSA website shortly. Graphics were done in some form
of screen print - spectacular!

Old July 11th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jul 8, 7:28*pm, Dave Newill wrote:
On Jul 8, 7:22*pm, "BT" wrote:

[...]

It is likely a vehicle wrap, an adhesive vinyl film printed that has
been printed using a large commercial inkjet printer. The same
technology that is used for advertising on buses and commercial
vehicles etc. Think many $K for artwork, production and installation.
Still a full length missile launcher graphic would be ultra neat (and
maybe cost more than the glider and trailer...).

Darryl
Old July 12th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bret

On Jul 8, 9:15*am, Tony Condon
wrote:
Im in the process of reskinning the trailer for the Cherokee and am nearly
ready to start riveting aluminum. *I plan to paint it a nice white to help
avoid cooking my glider. *Im thinking that a plain white trailer would be
boring, what should I paint on it? *A few suggestions were a side view of
the glider. *I also thought it would be cool to put some sort of landout
map to document everywhere I've been. *Also,www.ssa.organd since I live
in Kansas now,www.soarkansas.orgwebsites would be good. *What does RAS
think?

-Tony Condon
Cherokee II N373Y

Hey Tony, in my profession I study optics and the interaction of light
with materials. Here's my suggestion. If you like the aluminum color
(unpainted), it will stay as cool as white. Aluminum reflects
essentially all the suns rays just like white scatters all of them, so
if you paint it, it will probably get warmer than if you just leave it
alone. I.e. natural silver color is the new white. Besides, zero
upkeep.

Bret
Old July 12th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Bert,

Are you sure that is true? We have had two Schreder sailplanes tied down on the ramp side by side. The HP-14 is painted white. The HP-11 is polished aluminum. The HP-11 is defiantly hotter to the touch then the HP-14. Besides my personal experience, here is some information that was taken from a Soaring article published in Sept 1975.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

Old July 12th 09, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Wayne Paul wrote:
Bert,

Are you sure that is true? We have had two Schreder sailplanes tied
down on the ramp side by side. The HP-14 is painted white. The
HP-11 is polished aluminum. The HP-11 is defiantly hotter to the
touch then the HP-14. Besides my personal experience, here is some
information that was taken from a Soaring article published in Sept
1975. http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...olor_Temp.html

"Bret" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 9:15 am, Tony Condon
wrote:

Hey Tony, in my profession I study optics and the interaction of
light with materials. Here's my suggestion. If you like the
aluminum color (unpainted), it will stay as cool as white. Aluminum
reflects essentially all the suns rays just like white scatters all
of them, so if you paint it, it will probably get warmer than if you
just leave it alone. I.e. natural silver color is the new white.
Besides, zero upkeep.

My measurements of unpainted and white painted aluminum trailers is the
unpainted surface is hotter, perhaps as much as the 10 degrees shown in
the chart Wayne references. I suspect the explanation for this is more
complicated than the reflectivity of the the two surfaces, as it also
involves the emissivity of the surfaces.

Even so, the temperatures of gliders inside the painted and unpainted
trailers I measured varied very little. In my analysis, this is
accounted for by air stratification:

1) The air next to the trailer skin that is in the sun heats and rises,
forming a 6" or so thick layer at the top of the trailer. This stagnate
layer of hot air makes the top of the trailer very hot, so it loses heat
to the atmosphere and prevents further heating inside the trailer.

2) The skin that isn't in the sunlight loses heat to the outside air.
This cooled air sinks, further increasing the stratification.

The net result is that only the 6" or so of air at the top of the
trailer is very hot in either trailer, but that doesn't harm the glider
because only the tail fin is exposed to this heat. Most of the glider
components are lower in the trailer, where the air temperature is only a
few degrees above ambient.

This is most easily measured using a IR thermometer, but even a typical
indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe can do the job.

I decided to leave my trailer unpainted, as there seemed to be no
benefit to the glider, and painting would add cost and maintenance. I'd
rather spend my time and money on flying.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old July 16th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Free Flight 107

Wonderfull discussion, and thanks Eric and Bret for the info and
observations, just what this forum is for.

All the above being said, I need to paint my Eberle trailer this
winter, my brother recomends a new auto paint that is water based and
easy to apply. Just a plain white surface and then hire my nephew who
is an aspiring artist to paint my Libelle with a mountain scene on
each side. One with Mt. Whitney in the background, and one with Lake
Tahoe in the back. What do you think?

Support the Arts and hire a young artist!

Wayne, FreeFlight Libelle

PS, for the midWest, a giant cloud street with farms in the backgroud?
Thermaling in a Cow fart?

VAQ-129 EA-18G Paint Scheme C.D.Damron Naval Aviation 12 April 26th 05 11:37 PM
spinner paint scheme Dick Home Built 3 January 27th 05 09:58 PM
paint scheme [email protected] Owning 2 December 29th 04 08:51 PM
My Paint Scheme [email protected] Owning 0 December 29th 04 04:55 PM
B-70 Paint scheme TWINMAKER Military Aviation 11 September 8th 03 09:34 PM