Common instruments on small aircraft

Old October 21st 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steven Barnes

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

So is the "speed up the world 32 times" option. I'm waiting for my A&P to
get a bid for one on my real airplane...

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Stefan writes:

Must be real fun to fly MSFS on autopilot...

I enjoy it, especially in large aircraft, and autopilot is a great
advantage on long trips.

Old October 21st 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Steven Barnes writes:

So is the "speed up the world 32 times" option.

Agreed. It's one of the advantages of simulation. Although it does
seem a bit like cheating.

In practice, I usually just go on flights that are of an acceptable
duration in real time, and then fly them in real time. It's true that
small aircraft take a long time to get anywhere compared to large
jets--but then again they often seem to be much faster than cars (even
though their actual speed over the ground isn't that much greater).

For example, driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon takes hours, but
I can be there in about 45 minutes in a Baron.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

In practice, I usually just go on flights that are of an acceptable
duration in real time, and then fly them in real time. It's true that
small aircraft take a long time to get anywhere compared to large
jets--but then again they often seem to be much faster than cars (even
though their actual speed over the ground isn't that much greater).

For example, driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon takes hours, but
I can be there in about 45 minutes in a Baron.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Cruising Speed of a Baron is about 175 -
185Kts, or about 200-215MPH. The speed limit on most US Highways is 65-75MPH.
In no-wind conditions, if both vehicles are travelling in a straight line
(rare for IFR aircraft, but even rarer for vehicles on the ground) the Baron
is faster by nearly a factor of 3. Perhaps you are not flying the Baron
properly to achieve maximum performance.
Old October 23rd 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Steven Barnes wrote:
So is the "speed up the world 32 times" option. I'm waiting for my A&P to
get a bid for one on my real airplane...

The A&P would love that if it ran the Hobbs
meter at 32x as well.

Old October 24th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jim Stewart writes:

The A&P would love that if it ran the Hobbs
meter at 32x as well.

Interestingly enough, the add-on aircraft in my sim have Hobbs meters,
and they definitely increment. I don't know if the sim provides a way
to reset them. The EHSI also keeps track of lamp hours; I don't know
what happens to the lamp as it ages.