Glider Transponder Code (FAA Notice)

Old May 17th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

Default Glider Transponder Code (FAA Notice)

Just today, I received the below notice from the FAA. I thought this
was a "done deal" more than a year ago?
Vaughn

New VFR Transponder Code for Gliders
Notice Number: NOTC3762

New VFR Transponder Code for Gliders

In a notice issued on March 7, 2012, the FAA will now offer transponder
code 1202 for glider pilots to use when not in contact with ATC. The new
code will help ATC differentiate gliders, which have unique flight and
maneuvering limitations, from other VFR traffic.

An accident, many incidents, and a National Transportation Safety Board
recommendation highlight the need for a national beacon code for gliders
that are operating VFR and not in contact with ATC. ATC personnel will
be informed of the code, what it represents, and under what limitations
the users are typically operating (e.g., unable to hold a requested
altitude). Several codes considered in the past have conflicted with
other operations.

May all your experiences be uplifting!

Bryan Neville, AFS-850
FAA Safety Team

Old May 17th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:30:29 PM UTC-6, Vaughn wrote:
Just today, I received the below notice from the FAA. I thought this
was a "done deal" more than a year ago?
Vaughn

7110.66E hasn't been published yet (national beacon/code assignments), which is why the change was omitted from the Feb 9th 7110.65U. Instead, they rolled the new 1202 code as notice JO 7110.577, delaying implementation until March 7. NOTC3762 must be an internal notice as it doesn't appear to be publicly searchable on the FAA web site.

See
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...mentID/1019737
Old May 18th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On May 17, 1:30*pm, Vaughn wrote:
[...]

You will notice that JO 7110.577 expires July 26 2012, which is the
next expected publication date to get the xpndr code assignment into
all of the required publications. FAA was behind in their own internal
coordination for publication.

1201 was originally picked over a year ago, they (FAA) changed to 1202
because 1201 had other uses.

FAASTeam Member
Old May 18th 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:41:54 PM UTC-6, T wrote:
On May 17, 1:30*pm, Vaughn wrote:
[...]

Yep. 1201 had a smallish geographic assignment, but it was also relatively near a lot of gliding activity. Pilots should get on board with their local ARTCC's for a tour. It's changed a lot in recent years and is even now in upgrade. Quite a few young adults in training in our center. Still a lousy shift rotation if you ask me. However, we were able to watch a transponder equipped glider struggle in weak lift, then finally enter the pattern.. As our tour was ending, the glider turned final. I'd like to be in there on a really busy soaring day as we now have quite a few glider pilots flying with transponders. At the moment we have a TFR due to a still growing wild fire;^(

Frank Whiteley
Old May 18th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On May 17, 1:30*pm, Vaughn wrote:
[...]

In our busy Chicago airspace, the new 1202 code works beautifully.
Twice now I came back from a x-country skirting the Aurora D-airspace
and listened to the tower frequency. They must have a radar feed from
Chicago approach because tower pointed out my location and altitude to
ac flying in and out of Aurora. They identified me as a glider
because of the special code. Of course I talked to them to let them
know I'm on frequency and that I had traffic in sight. Chicago Glider
Club itself is right under the Western approach into Midway via the
Joliet VOR and we often have traffic right at 4-6,000' over the
field. Transponders and the new code are really effective in helping
ATC keeping us separated. All club gliders and 80% of private gliders
are Mode-C equipped.
Herb
Old May 18th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, May 18, 2012 10:26:17 AM UTC-4, Herbert kilian wrote:
... All club gliders and 80% of private gliders are Mode-C equipped.
Herb

Thanks Herb - Hopefully all future installations will be Mode S !
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: How come you're not down here at Mifflin ?