In his own words - BWB and the OMABP

Old July 7th 04, 12:50 AM
John Ammeter

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:07:41 GMT,
(Badwater Bill) wrote:

On 6 Jul 2004 12:22:48 -0700,
(bryan chaisone)
wrote:

As I have apologized to you in my response to your private email to
me, I apologize to you here publicly. What I said was said in the
heat of passion, I humbly apologize.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Don't you love it Bryan! I mean the HEAT of PASSION! Hell most of
the old ****s here couldn't get their heart rate up of a naked woman
walked by them. At least you are alive my man!

Don't sweat it. I'd have been ****ed off too if you got me confused
with the general moron of RAH. You had a right to be ****ed. You owe
me no apology at all. I screwed up, plain and simple. I just didn't
recognize you as the Bryan I knew. I think that I thought your name
was spelled Brian and that threw me. And, as you so appropriately
said, I'm getting old and feeble minded. Hell, I even have long
periods nowadays when I don't think of sex. That's really getting
old. Yesterday I had 12 minutes when I didn't think about sex at all.

When I get that Lancair Legacy done in a couple years, you are my
first invitation to come out and take a ride at 300 mph!

Just bought my O-550 today. Whaa-Hoooo That baby is gonna go with
the super charger on it at flight level 250! I just hope I don't die
of old age before I finish it and fly it. But, considering that the
thing is a "Lick and Stick" it ought to go fast. I mean after two
weeks at the factory using their jigs, you bring home a glued together
fuselage and the wings are closed. So, you just lick it and stick it
and the body is almost there. No 20,000 rivets. Eat your heart out
Amp Meter and you other RV builders! Ha!

BWB

At least, I KNOW every damned rivet and I KNEW that it
wouldn't fall apart at altitude. Do you have the same
confidence that the composite "glue" will do the same??

How cold is it at altitude? What happens when you get a
lightening strike on that fuselage? With the resistance of
the composite fuselage you'll get a tremendous voltage drop
across it when the lightening strikes. And Power equals
voltage drop times current. How do you think you'll like
dissipating a megawatthour of energy in that small area??

I'll stick to metal airplanes... Lightening hits them and
simply flows through with little or no voltage drop...

John
Old July 7th 04, 02:03 AM
Badwater Bill

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:32:28 GMT, "Bruce A. Frank"
wrote:

Gee, Bill, I actually remember your inadvertent post about a belt
failure. (intended as a private post).

I was also aware of a statement from someone that belt failures were
because of the type of belt being used in the beginning and the fact
that there was not enough airflow around the PSRU. The inadequately
cooled belt would soften and the cog teeth would strip. I believe the
belt at that time was a urethane construction which couldn't take the
heat as well as belts of other construction.

You're right. I remember thinking that there might be a cooling issue
that caused me to trash that belt on the ground test. And, since we
had a batch of weak belts maybe that had something to do with the belt
failure I had. A defective belt, plus some excessive heating might
have caused a problem. But an experimental test on the ground on a
research project is simply another data point. It's not a PSRU
failure or a safety issue. I remember the test and I was torquing
that belt from zero to full throttle, back and forth in hot
conditions, on the ground with no air flow over the PSRU and/or the
belt. That was hardly a "Flying" scenario. It was designed to ferret
out any weaknesses we had before we went on. And, guess what it did?
It found a faulty belt problem on the ground before it killed me as
the test pilot.

When we did fly the thing, I remember that Jess and Tom put temp
probes all over that thing . In the air ,the cooling was way more
than what was needed. If I recall correctly I think the belt ran at
almost ambient temperature while flying. At high altitudes in the
winter we actually worried that the belt might be too brittle because
of the cooling. But, we never had a failure. And after I was off the
project, Jess flew the snot out of it and he never had a failure
either.

BWB

Old July 7th 04, 02:07 AM
RobertR237

When I get that Lancair Legacy done in a couple years, you are my
first invitation to come out and take a ride at 300 mph!

Just bought my O-550 today. Whaa-Hoooo That baby is gonna go with
the super charger on it at flight level 250! I just hope I don't die
of old age before I finish it and fly it. But, considering that the
thing is a "Lick and Stick" it ought to go fast. I mean after two
weeks at the factory using their jigs, you bring home a glued together
fuselage and the wings are closed. So, you just lick it and stick it
and the body is almost there. No 20,000 rivets. Eat your heart out
Amp Meter and you other RV builders! Ha!

BWB

At least, I KNOW every damned rivet and I KNEW that it
wouldn't fall apart at altitude. Do you have the same
confidence that the composite "glue" will do the same??

Hell, I don't know about BWB but I would have every bit as much confidence that
the composite will hold together just as well and just as long as your rivets.

How cold is it at altitude? What happens when you get a
lightening strike on that fuselage? With the resistance of
the composite fuselage you'll get a tremendous voltage drop
across it when the lightening strikes. And Power equals
voltage drop times current. How do you think you'll like
dissipating a megawatthour of energy in that small area??

I'll stick to metal airplanes... Lightening hits them and
simply flows through with little or no voltage drop...

John

Wow, in the total scheme of things, how many planes are hit by lightning? If
you are that leary of flying and lightning, I would suggest you stay on the
ground.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 7th 04, 02:52 AM
Badwater Bill

At least, I KNOW every damned rivet and I KNEW that it
wouldn't fall apart at altitude. Do you have the same
confidence that the composite "glue" will do the same??

How cold is it at altitude? What happens when you get a
lightening strike on that fuselage? With the resistance of
the composite fuselage you'll get a tremendous voltage drop
across it when the lightening strikes. And Power equals
voltage drop times current. How do you think you'll like
dissipating a megawatthour of energy in that small area??

I'll stick to metal airplanes... Lightening hits them and
simply flows through with little or no voltage drop...

John

I was in a good mood until I read this. Now I'm suicidal!

All bull**** aside John, you bring up some great concerns as usual. I
have no idea how it will behave under those conditions. I might just
"POP" into another dimension or something. I may hurdle to my death.
All I can say is "What the ****...over!" I've probably lived too long
already...almost like a cat with 9 lives...I've been sooo close, sooo
many times!

I want to tell you all something. If I buy the farm in a Lancair
Legacy that I built, then I want all of you to rejoice at my life and
know that I lived it to the fullest as I came to a screaming halt into
the Earth at Mach 0.7 due to a structural failure. I want you to
post this post if I punch in doing what I love to do...going fast,
taking chances, flying and living life.

I don't have a death wish. But, on the other hand, I have no
intention of hiding my head under my bed when there are 300 mph
airplanes to be built and flown...and finally after 50 years of being
a poor Black Jewish Christian Hebrew ******* child from Boulder City,
I personally have the means to produce such a machine for my own
personal (and Boom Boom's) use.

Best Wishes to all,

BWB

P.S. I will make sure that I put compete EFIS in it so I can roll it
continuously without tumbling any gyroscopes. I just pulled a gyro
today that I trashed from looping the machine I fly.

No more! Not with the Legacy. It will be all EFIS.

Old July 7th 04, 02:58 AM
Badwater Bill

Wow, in the total scheme of things, how many planes are hit by lightning? If
you are that leary of flying and lightning, I would suggest you stay on the
ground.

Bob Reed

I hate to say this about my close friend John. But, he does stay on
the ground. He hasn't flown in the 8 years I've known him. I wish he
would build another high performance airplane and get us butt up
again. He's a great guy and a hero in my eyes for many reasons. I
just wish he flew more. I know he dreams about it or he wouldn't be
here.

John, get your ass back into the sky buddy. Time is running out. We
are growing old at an exponential rate. Take advantage of the next 10
years because 10 years from now you might not be able to get a medical
or some other sinister thing like that.

I think we here in RAH all ought to have a lynch-mob mentality and get
Amp Meter up in the air again. Let's pick on him collectively!

In fact, John, if you want to come down here, I'll get you on the
insurance of the RV-6 I used to own and you can fly the **** out of
it. I know you are building a house now and don't have time. But in
a year or so when that's done, you are welcome to fly anything I have
access to just so I can get you back up.

Now do it or be square!

BWB
Old July 7th 04, 03:06 AM
John Ammeter

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:52:19 GMT,
(Badwater Bill) wrote:

[...]

Now that I've gotten you to worry a little bit about the
consequences of flying a plastic airplane...

I read somewhere, and, no, I don't remember where... that
you can add a conductive "something" to the aircraft so it
can conduct current without blowing up. You might think
about that...

Or, at least, remember that when you see lightening bolts,
it's time to head home to Mama...

On another subject... they're pouring the foundation for our
new house on Thursday... I'll be there with a bottle of
Champagne to celebrate it.

john
Old July 7th 04, 03:12 AM
John Ammeter

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:58:34 GMT,
(Badwater Bill) wrote:

[...]

The house we're building already has a 24 x 36 foot shop.
My plan is to build a low and slow high wing stump jumper as
soon as we move in. I loved the feel of the RV-6. It flew
as if it was a part of me. But, now, I want an airplane
that I can land (and take off..) from our family ranch. I
want a plane that I can spot friends homes and the deer that
are ready to "harvest".

I also want an airplane that is able to fly so slow that I
can 'hover' over the nudist camp...

John
Old July 7th 04, 03:16 AM
Anthony

I also want an airplane that is able to fly so slow that I
can 'hover' over the nudist camp...

John

That sounds like a Feisler Storch.

Tony

Old July 7th 04, 04:34 AM
bryan chaisone

Yah, I know you're right about all that. I got offended and over reacted (again).

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

(pacplyer) wrote in message . com...
(bryan chaisone) wrote

Calling people names is just not wise. You never know how a person
will react, especially people you have only met on the net.
Personally calling people names really turns me off. I loose all
respect and admiration for the smartest and most experienced people
just because they are arrogant and ignorant. The smartest people, and
those that think they are smart are clueless themselves. If they were
smart, they wouldn't resort to calling names or resort to threat. If
they were smart they'd just go ahead and do what they said they'd do
and not give any warning.
snip
Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Bryan, Bryan, Bryan. In aviation, which I've been in all of my life,
you accord respect to those who have been practicing the prior art
successfully for more man-years than you have, because it is not wise
to do otherwise. Professional pilots have the benefit of living in a
real world classroom for ten to twenty years (sometimes less) before
they become PIC. Single pilot ops at 500 hrs are the most dangerous
kind in aviation but you guys seem to think after the government's
done mistraining you, that you can't be killed since you're a polite
person in society and the FAA's looking out for you. You see locker
room language and extensions of middle fingers on the screen, whereas,
I see emotion that's trying to tell me something important from a man
with more experience in that area than I have. Over 80% of human
communication is through facial expressions. The only way to covey
facial expression on this type of medium is through "smileys" or to
expand your vocabulary (including the use of profanity to convey
emotion.) We all would like to avoid mud-fights, but in this case I
think Corky was challenging BWB's honesty (solely because Bill was
featured in Kitplanes,) and Bill had a right to defend it. Now I
don't want to see this type of theater from you Bryan, because you
aren't an experienced builder/instructor yet. You probably still have
a lot to learn.

Guys like BWB and BYB are IMHO valuable resources to draw on for the
NG. I don't get along with them half the time myself, but I try to
overlook their faults (especially BOb's) and realize that
personalities like these, that don't care what others think of them,
are usually the most honest posters when it comes to content. They
post to amuse themselves and impart some reality to the group.
Whereas the average polite poster frequently: 1: has no idea what he's
talking about. 2: Worries so much about how he will be perceived that
even if he did know what he was talking about, would never dare to
voraciously correct something he's an expert on for fear of unfair
reprisal in the real world. Now you referenced someone kicking the
**** out of BWB in the real world. If someone can't win an argument
on the net and they take things to underhanded road-rage levels in the
real world, (stabbing holes in airplanes or hacking computers) they
shouldn't be surprised if it escalates into their back yard on some
dark night.

But we're just not going to use the same PC yardstick for old-school
guys like these who are hanging around here for free, trying to give
you a different perspective on flying and building. If it's too
salty, why don't you head on over to: rec.domestic.teaparty and I'm
sure they will moderate out any offensive historical truths about
trading tea for opium, so your polite tea-sipping won't be disturbed.
Sorry Bryan, but I'm not just going to sit here and watch you
lecture the instructor on his choice of language. If you don't like
it, don't take his class.

We like you Bryan buddy, but changing people is usually not possible.

pacplyer - out