Opinions on Cessna 340, 414 and 421

Old April 1st 04, 07:33 PM
Mike Rapoport

That is true...for the course only. I have to get there which is a 4000+nm
round trip which takes 15+ flight hours at $600+/hr. Then there in another
$1-2,000 for hotels, maeals, rental car over the four days. We haven't
allocated anything for my time yet either.

Mike
MU-2

"john szpara" wrote in message
s.com...
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my current airplane in the next
few years for many of the reasons that have been brought up. Going to
Simcom is a minimium of four days and $15,000. Going in for maitenance

is
two days just to drop off the airplane and pick it up again. There is no
way that I save SIX DAYS a year by owning an airplane. I don't fly

around

I read an article that you can do Flightsafety sim training for
something like $4500 (or so) a year, and go as many times as you
want/need.

That's a twin simulator, and the writer of the article raved about the
quality of the sim and the training.

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT

Old April 2nd 04, 08:05 AM
john szpara

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:33:50 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

That is true...for the course only. I have to get there which is a 4000+nm
round trip which takes 15+ flight hours at $600+/hr. Then there in another
$1-2,000 for hotels, maeals, rental car over the four days. We haven't
allocated anything for my time yet either.

I thought they have more than one location, Long Beach and Wichita? If
they have one in Long Beach, that's only 1.5 hours by 300-400 series
cessna for me (and good practice, to boot).

Where are you located?

Old April 2nd 04, 03:05 PM
Mike Rapoport

wrote:

That is true...for the course only. I have to get there which is a

4000+nm
round trip which takes 15+ flight hours at $600+/hr. Then there in

another
$1-2,000 for hotels, maeals, rental car over the four days. We haven't
allocated anything for my time yet either.

I thought they have more than one location, Long Beach and Wichita? If
they have one in Long Beach, that's only 1.5 hours by 300-400 series
cessna for me (and good practice, to boot).

Where are you located?

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT

Location is the heart of my problem. I am in the Northwest (Idaho) and the
only simulator is in the Southeast (Orlando) so it is about the worst
possible situation. If the sim was only 1.5hrs away from you then it is an
entirely different situation.

Mike
MU-2

Old April 2nd 04, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

jsmith writes:

Piper Aztec. Best single engine piston performer. Nice fat wing, good
low speed handling.

Yeah, I keep thinking about a bigger plane (hence reading this thread),
but I like being able to go 200 knots on "only" 32 GPH, and being able
to fly places that a 421 wouldn't.

Yesterday I almost filled the plane (One person didn't show.) and flew
to a 2100' grass strip. I had a single-engine pilot on the other
controls and he was impressed by how stable and easy to fly it was.

Every time I start to look at bigger planes, I check the takeoff roll
requirements and my bank account and give my Aztec a hug. There just
doesn't seem to be another plane like it.

OT: three more Aztecs recently appeared at our airport. They're flying
checks. Gotta meet them sometime.

Piper Cheyenne is the best small turbine. Check the accident statistics.

My mechanic votes for the Cheyenne too. That means a lot to me.

--kyler
Old April 2nd 04, 07:09 PM
john szpara

Piper Cheyenne is the best small turbine. Check the accident statistics.

My mechanic votes for the Cheyenne too. That means a lot to me.

My commecial pilot friend, the one who mentioned 310, 340, 414 and
421, recommends them, too. But my banker says no.

Old April 2nd 04, 09:08 PM
Mike Rapoport

Not sure why your mechanic likes Cheyennes unless it is because his son was
just accepted to Harvard :-).

The Cheyennes are built like other Pipers and were aimed at the bottom of
the market. A lot of corners were cut to reduce the price point and it is
starting to have an effect on the airplanes. An example is that Cheyennes
used zinc (instead of gold) plated contacts on all the electrical
connections and now, 20yrs later they are subject to a lot of electrical
gremlins caused by corrosion of the contacts.

Mike
MU-2