What electronics are worth buying

Old October 29th 18, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What electronics are worth buying

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 8:42:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 2:47:54 PM UTC-7, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

A Scout ADSB receiver ($200) seems a good buy if you already have Foreflight, for traffic awareness.

I'd like to buy a Butterfly traffic display to go with the $200 adsb Scout receiver, but Butterfly displays only accept the proprietary flarm data protocol. The only adsb receivers I’ve seen that generate flarm protocol data also require additional purchase of flarm. Its almost as if the Flarm people are trying to force US pilots to buy their product.
Old October 29th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

I had some bad fortune followed by some good fortune today. The bad fortune is I was supposed to go flying today after 4 weeks of delays, and I woke up at 4am passing a kidney stone. So its going to be another week before I get in the air. On the good fortune front I found a person selling a FastFind 220 on Ebay for $125 today. It has 5 1/2 years left on its battery, so its essentially brand new. Its never been registered or activated. I should have it in time for next weekends flight.

Now I just need to work on getting some sort of tracker.
Old October 29th 18, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

Well, my crew and family is generally with me, so a land out, only at a
paved airport for me, thanks, will always be at an airport. Then the
adventure begins! :-D

My experience with InReach was a friend's unit around 3 years ago and we
had a lot of trouble with text messages being received. Maybe he just
had something set up incorrectly.

On 10/28/2018 10:18 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 10:48:01 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have a PLB.Â* Given some of the complaints I've read here and
elsewhere, I'm not yet convinced that the communicator will work when
"needed".

Say what? InReach gives you receipt confirmation on all messages sent. With recently deployed "Iridium Next" satellites, it works from inside my house. Given the choice of making a 911 call on a PLB vs InReach, I'll take the latter (for many reasons, previously discussed)!

But I've just got to ask:Â* Did any of the proponents of any of these
devices actually fly cross country before they were available?Â* Did you
wait until the apron strings reached the distance you wanted to fly
before heading out?Â* Maybe we should all go back and read some of the
land out stories from the 90s and earlier.Â* Where has the adventurous
spirit gone?

Adventurous spirit alive and well, thanks. I never found that difficulty in ground communication (I've had my share of this) added to the adventure. As well, consider your crew & family.

Evan / T8

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 29th 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt

Give Englund Marine and Industrial Supply, Warrenton, Oregon a call. Invoice cost last March was $85 for the battery replacement and $11 return shipping.
Craig

Craig: can you tell us where you got that price? That's the price I saw a couple of years back when I decided to buy the PLB, but now the lowest I find is $125, many places quote $170 or more.

Old November 16th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is one source for the needed battery cells (with tabs pre-welded):
https://www.batterybob.com/products/...tabs-lith-8-1/

Here is a source for the whole battery pack ready to plug in, $50 - not blessed by the factory:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACR-ResQlin...1/332810112016

The price for non-factory-authorized battery is now down to $39:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACR-ResQlin...1/332810112016

Or, for $55 they will also do the battery-replacement labor for you, includes shipping back to you:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACR-Resqlin...5/332852007531

Note: I am not affiliated with this seller, and have not used their service. If anybody does deal with them, let us know how it went.