Towing with VW Bora diesel?

Old August 24th 03, 02:14 PM
Gerritjan

Default Towing with VW Bora diesel?

Many pilots here use petrol-guzzling sport-utility vehicles to tow their
trailers. I'm trying to get some input as to whether my new VW Jetta
turbo-diesel is up to the task.

You forgot to tell us the weight of your trailer incl.discus...

I'm towing a trailer, total weight 780 kg, with a VW-caddy TDI 66kW, max.
trailer weight 1000 kg. according the manual. Empty weight of the car is
1140 kg.
Great combination, more than enough power.

GJ

PS
kg -- lbs or lbs -- kg
http://www.dhl-usa.com/lbs-2-kilo

Old August 24th 03, 11:16 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 03:05:24 GMT, "Biggus_Discus"
wrote:

Do any of our European friends out there have any experience towing a glider
trailer with a VW Bora diesel?

Many pilots here use petrol-guzzling sport-utility vehicles to tow their
trailers. I'm trying to get some input as to whether my new VW Jetta
turbo-diesel is up to the task.

Using a 90 hp Golf Combi TDI myself to tow any trailer (from Ka-8 to
DG-505) without any performance problems I'm pretty sure that you'll
do ok too.

Bye
Andreas

Old August 25th 03, 12:52 AM
Herbert Kilian

I had a Jetta TDI for 2 years here in the US and have been towing
glider trailers not with the Jetta but with a Mercedes 200D with only
72HP. The Merc had to be driven hard (throttle position either idle
or full) but very possible to keep up with traffic. Driving the Jetta
I always thought how much fun it would be to tow a trailer with it, so
much more torque at much less weight than the Mercedes. Put a hitch on
it and go places!
I'm now one of the guys you mention with an SUV that guzzles gas and
NEVER needs full throttle!
Herb, J7

Old August 25th 03, 08:53 AM
Ulrich Neumann

"Biggus_Discus" wrote in message news:UXV1b.238721$o%2.108591@sccrnsc02...
Do any of our European friends out there have any experience towing a glider
trailer with a VW Bora diesel?

Many pilots here use petrol-guzzling sport-utility vehicles to tow their
trailers. I'm trying to get some input as to whether my new VW Jetta
turbo-diesel is up to the task.

You have to keep in mind that a VW Bora sold today in Europe has a
much more advanced enging/fuel management system than the ones sold in
the good old US of A. You can only get the 90HP (67kW) engine here,
while the engines sold in Europe have either 74kW (100HP) or 96kW
(128HP) in the TDI-PD version... (PD=Pumpe-Düse or one injector pump
unit per cylinder) A quick check on the german VW site lists the
towing capacity at 1500kg (3527lbs) for trailers with a surge brake
and 600kg (1322lbs) without brake.
Also, VW-US discourages using their vehicles for towing. They will not
sell you the original VW tow hitch available in Europe.
I guess as long as your trailer has a surge brake and you are not
running up steep hills in CO, you should be fine using the Jetta.

Ulrich Neumann
Diesel Head
Old August 25th 03, 11:34 AM
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:54:56 -0700, "Greg Arnold"
wrote:

Wow, a Golf to tow a DG-505. How fast can you go before swaying becomes a
problem?

125 - 130 kp/h is still absolutely unproblematic (even when overtaking
trucks) - I assume that the maximum is in the 140 kp/h region with my
car (we are using a relatively light self-made steel-frame trailer).

I'm driving the latest model of the Golf Variant which is relatively
heavy (1367 kg).

It depends on the trailer - our ASK-21 trailer of similar weight and
dimensions is significantly more problematic - 100 kp/h is the
absolute maximum with this trailer.

Bye
Andreas
Old August 25th 03, 02:38 PM
Bert Willing

Just came back from a business trip to the US (fiddeling around with rental
cars). You can't compare US cars to European standards if it comes to
suspension. On my Saab 9-3 with a Komet trailer, I put the cruise control to
135 kph and I'm not at the limits. With a Chevy Malibu (which should have
the same weight and engine size as my Saab), I would never ever tow my
glider.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Old August 25th 03, 05:34 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:38:14 +0200, "Bert Willing"
wrote:

Just came back from a business trip to the US (fiddeling around with rental
cars). You can't compare US cars to European standards if it comes to
suspension. On my Saab 9-3 with a Komet trailer, I put the cruise control to
135 kph and I'm not at the limits. With a Chevy Malibu (which should have
the same weight and engine size as my Saab), I would never ever tow my
glider.

Indeed - US cars usually have a much softer suspension. Do you know if
the US models of European cars also have a different suspension than
their European brothers?

Bye
Andreas
Old August 25th 03, 07:06 PM
JohnH

Gerritjan wrote:
Many pilots here use petrol-guzzling sport-utility vehicles to tow their
trailers. I'm trying to get some input as to whether my new VW Jetta
turbo-diesel is up to the task.

You forgot to tell us the weight of your trailer incl.discus...

I'm towing a trailer, total weight 780 kg, with a VW-caddy TDI 66kW, max.
trailer weight 1000 kg. according the manual. Empty weight of the car is
1140 kg.
Great combination, more than enough power.

GJ

You can check VW's information...for example, I'm not supposed to tow
more than 2000lbs with my Subie Outback...

john

Old August 25th 03, 07:58 PM
Janusz Kesik

A bit offtopic then... If I was living in the US, is it possible to =
order a new e.g. VW Golf, but in the European version?

Regards,

JK