Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

Old February 7th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 5:30:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 4:42:57 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
I guess this is the weekend to test batteries.

I have four seasons on my Bioenno 12AH LFP battery. It's down to 11.48 AH now, down from 12.05 last year and 12.1 when new. ...

T8-

Your battery seems to be holding up well. I also have a K2 battery that after 2 seasons is showing similar loss of capacity as SF and Steve Koerner describe. Its down to about 60% capacity. I am currently trying the extended charge cycle Steve described. I charge it with a 14.6V 2A switching charger made by Fuyuan - model FY1502000; bought it with the battery. Not sure that the charger would make that much difference if the voltage is adequate, but what type of charger do you routinely use to charge your Bioenno LFP battery? Perhaps the Bioenno has better cell balancing algorithm/hardware? I stored it at approximately half charge in the off season and always took it home for recharging when not flying.
Since I am in the market for a second LFP, trying to decide which brand to go with.

Thanks

I think you guys have a large dose of Hopeful.

All the batteries mentioned in this post including the BMS are made and sealed as a unit in China.

Just because you pay extra does not mean you get a better battery.

I got a batch of one of the above mentioned batteries that advertised 9 aH but only got 5 or 6 aH. They company did replace the low specification batteries when I complained.

The other issue you have is if power is reversed when charging or using the battery you will likely damage the battery or the BMS even if fused.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 7th 17, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 8:30:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I have the same charger, which is what Bioenno sold me with the battery.

-T8

Old February 7th 17, 10:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

At 01:55 07 February 2017, Richard wrote:

I think you guys have a large dose of Hopeful.

All the batteries mentioned in this post including the BMS are made and
sea=
led as a unit in China. =20

Is that true od A123? The manufacturer claims that the design (and original
build) is American, the chemistry is failsafe, and that the BMS balances
each cell individually without needing to be on a charger.

The downside is that they also claim 5AH. I have been using these with
great results for 2 seasons now.

I also like the internal fuse feature.

Jim

Old February 7th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I got the West Mountain Radio tester and ran my three K2 Energy 9.6 AH (two years old) One tested at 8.7 AH, the next at 8.5 AH, and the final one 7.3 AH. They are all charged using a dedicated LIFEPO4 charger. Not sure why the one should have so much less capacity. I will be giving K2 a call.

David
ASG29E BV
Old February 7th 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 1:35:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I got the West Mountain Radio tester and ran my three K2 Energy 9.6 AH (two years old) One tested at 8.7 AH, the next at 8.5 AH, and the final one 7..3 AH. They are all charged using a dedicated LIFEPO4 charger. Not sure why the one should have so much less capacity. I will be giving K2 a call.

David
ASG29E BV

What voltage are they showing when they come off these chargers?

Best. Tom.
Old February 8th 17, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I set the tester to cut off at 11 volts. At that point the voltage is dropping rapidly as is normal with the LIFEPO4's.

David
ASG29E BV
Old February 8th 17, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Misread you question. When coming off the charger they show 14 or a bit more volts. When put on the tester that voltage drops almost immediately to 12.5 volts and then stays there till it drops off rapidly at the end of the test cycle.

David
ASG29E BV
Old February 8th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 5:07:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Misread you question. When coming off the charger they show 14 or a bit more volts. When put on the tester that voltage drops almost immediately to 12.5 volts and then stays there till it drops off rapidly at the end of the test cycle.

David
ASG29E BV

Thanks David, bring your tester and park again in Perry where I can use your water supply, please.

Below are several notes I found on LifePO4's:

The LiFePO4 batteries exhibit slightly different properties: They have a bit lower operating voltage of about 3.2V – 3.3V, the minimum discharge voltage is 2.8V and the maximum charged voltage is 3.6V. The LiFePO4 is a kind of Li-Ion rechargeable battery intended for high power applications, such as EV cars , eBikes, electric bike, Power Tools and RC hobby.
The LiFePO4 batteries have more constant discharge voltage and are considered to offer better safety than other Lithium-based batteries. Other advantages of the Lithium-based rechargeable batteries include the ability of a much faster recharge and higher discharge rates than other chemistries mentioned and usually higher number of recharge cycles rate, IEC Standard) , meaning longer life when not fully discharged, but its energy density is lower than normal Li-Ion cell (Li-Co)

LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.

It’s important to use a LiPo compatible charger for LiPos and LiFePO4 compatible charger for LiFePO4 batteries. They charge using a system called CC/CV charging. It stands for Constant Current / Constant Voltage. Basically, the charger will keep the current, or charge rate, constant until the battery reaches its peak voltage (4.2v/ 3,6V per cell in a battery pack).. Then it will maintain that voltage, while reducing the current. On the other hand, NiMH and NiCd batteries charge best using a pulse charging method.. Charging a LiPo / LiFePO4 battery in this way can have damaging effects, so it is important to use a LiPo / LiFePO4 compatible charger as appropriate.

Hmmm... a 4 cell LifePO4 @ 3.6V per cell is 14.2 Volts. My charger charges mine to 14.41 volts. Volts start out lower but increase to 14.41 as they reach a full charge. They said life expectancy of 5-7 years but that seems to be not to a discharge state we may be using them to which may effect them. But not lower than 2.8V per cell, which is 11.2V for a 4 cell.

Have about 180 cycles and the 10 amps are 3 years old.

See you in Perry.

Best. Tom.
Old February 8th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Garden

Lithium - anything batteries last best when not used to full discharge.
Going below 20% capacity in the battery, impacts the life of the battery
(same in your phone, constantly running it "Flat" does the internal battery

no favours at all.)

Chargers, it's not "Important" to use Proper chargers, it's "Vital".
Lead acid batteries are from the Steam era.
Modern Hi Capacity, Hi Discharge batteries are hugely powerful wee
beasties.
Not to be treated with the same practices as Lead Acid lumps.

Lithium Phosphate - LiFePo4 - Li4 batteries are less likely to misbehave
when charged badly.
LiPo - Lithium Ion, take badly to being dropped, shorted out, mischarged.
In use, liFePo4 batteries are slightly more idiot proof.
LiPo Batteries are lighter and have higher energy density.

You can Charge LiFePo4 in situ in the glider.
It is unwise to charge LiPo in the glider.

You _must_ have over discharge protection in place on a LiPo battery, it is

wise to have over dishcarge protection on a LiFePo4 battery.

Old February 8th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Garden

[...]

LifePO4 batteries for motorgliders - are we there yet? Chris Soaring 13 January 9th 16 04:43 PM
Bioenno Power LiFePO4 12V Glider Batteries Paul Remde Soaring 13 April 21st 15 04:35 PM
K2 vs. StarkPower LiFePo4 batteries Fox Two[_2_] Soaring 36 April 16th 15 05:14 PM
LiFePO4 Batteries vontresc Soaring 56 June 27th 14 07:25 PM
LiFePO4 batteries JS Soaring 26 October 15th 12 02:51 PM