A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LX logger issues after PF install ... related?

Old April 25th 13, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO
external usenet poster

Default LX logger issues after PF install ... related?

Since installing my PowerFlarm Core I've had a frustrating problem with my LX7007: it goes into "in flight" mode when sitting still on the ground, leaving me unable to access flight logs, update flight info, or do any transfers. I basically have to baby-sit the logger, wait for it to believe it's not flying, and then squeeze my business in before it goes "in flight" again. Sometimes, after landing, it never ends the flight before I have to shut everything down.

Support at LX suggests to disconnect my p-tot and p-static for five minutes (thus suggesting an ASI issue), but looking at the flight "traces" from the faux flights, the GPS fix is moving around by what looks like a few to a dozen meters. So I suspect this the GPS "movement" is the cause, not an incorrect ASI.

I can't point the finger at the PF (yet) -- at the same time I installed the PF, I also installed a new Oudie and a K6 Mux so they would all play nicely together.

My LX7007's GPS receiver is at the fore end of the instrument compartment, next to the air vent; the PF core is immediately aft thereof; the ADS-B antenna is mounted on the side of the K6 box about 8 inches from the GPS antenna.

Could my LX's GPS be having interference issues?

~ted/2NO
Old April 25th 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO
external usenet poster

s/ASI/IAS ... duh
Old April 25th 13, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

My LX7007's GPS receiver is at the fore end of the instrument compartment, next to the air vent; the PF core is immediately aft thereof; the ADS-B antenna is mounted on the side of the K6 box about 8 inches from the GPS antenna.

Could my LX's GPS be having interference issues?

~ted/2NO

From the Brick Manual - "If more than one GPS antenna is present in the aircraft, it is recommended that they are at least 1ft apart; the same holds for separation from all other BRICK antennas."

I have a Brick, connected to a LX7007 and Android phone (Dell Streak - XC Soar) through a IOIO card; my LX GPS mouse is at the front of the SZD-55 glareshield, the PF GPS mouse (same mouse, BTW) is at the rear of the glareshield; that puts them 16" centre-centre. I have no problems with my installation going flying while on the ground. I removed the magnets, since they're quite powerful and really did a job on my compass.

Dan
Old April 26th 13, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO
external usenet poster

My PF GPS mouse is at the aft end of my glare shield, a good 20" from the LX's GPS mouse at the fore end, and exactly where the (now removed) EW microRecorder's mouse was placed.

So nothing has changed wrt GPS antennae placements, and I had no prollums before.

The ADS-B antenna is the only antenna less than 20" from the LX's antenna, but it operates on a very different frequency than GPS.

Is it possible that the PF core is causing some interference? The box is adjacent to the LX's GPS mouse ...
Old April 27th 13, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_13_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:25:08 AM UTC-7, 2NO wrote:
Since installing my PowerFlarm Core I've had a frustrating problem with my LX7007: it goes into "in flight" mode when sitting still on the ground, leaving me unable to access flight logs, update flight info, or do any transfers. I basically have to baby-sit the logger, wait for it to believe it's not flying, and then squeeze my business in before it goes "in flight" again. Sometimes, after landing, it never ends the flight before I have to shut everything down. Support at LX suggests to disconnect my p-tot and p-static for five minutes (thus suggesting an ASI issue), but looking at the flight "traces" from the faux flights, the GPS fix is moving around by what looks like a few to a dozen meters. So I suspect this the GPS "movement" is the cause, not an incorrect ASI. I can't point the finger at the PF (yet) -- at the same time I installed the PF, I also installed a new Oudie and a K6 Mux so they would all play nicely together. My LX7007's GPS receiver is at the fore end of the instrument compartment, next to the air vent; the PF core is immediately aft thereof; the ADS-B antenna is mounted on the side of the K6 box about 8 inches from the GPS antenna. Could my LX's GPS be having interference issues? ~ted/2NO

I had a similar problem with my PF/V7 vario/ Oudie system.
To make a long story short, the V7 vario air speed sensor
was out of calibration, and had to be recalibrated. LXNav
provided me with a firmware download to fix the problem.
Regards,Dan