Low Cost Dual Band ADS-B Receiver

Old February 3rd 17, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

Default Low Cost Dual Band ADS-B Receiver

Check out the new pingBuddy2 dual band ADS-B receiver from UAVIONIX:

http://www.uavionix.com/products/pingbuddy2/

$149. Works with a wide variety of iPhone and iPAD aps, including Foreflight, FltPlan Go, WingX, etc.

Provides weather, and traffic (both ADS-B equipped A/C, and Mode C/S transponder traffic via TIS-B). Note: To reliably see traffic you need to be ADS-B OUT equipped.

If you already have a TRIG transponder, add the new TN72 GPS position source for ~$500, the pingBuddy2 for $149, and the free FltPlan Go app on your iPhone, and you have a complete collision avoidance system that will show you every transponder equipped aircraft in your vicinity with voice alerts for anyone getting too close.

If you don't have a transponder yet, this will give you a great excuse to buy one.
Old February 3rd 17, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Mike,

1. Explain exactly how you get useful ADS-B out in an experimental glider. Key word is USEFUL. Without it, ADS-B in is seriously handicapped.

2. Oh, and a PowerFLARM hooked up to an Oudie "will show you every transponder equipped aircraft in your vicinity with voice alerts for anyone getting too close" for considerably less. Mine has been doing it for a few years now.

Kirk
Old February 4th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For an experimental glider, its allowed to connect any GPS to your Trig22, and broadcast adsb-out as a 'non performing emitter'. I use my LXNav flight computer as a gps source, its a one-wire connection to the Trig. Be sure to go through the Trig setup and select an 'unapproved gps'. If you have problems, ask Trig, they were very helpful to me.

Sadly, I understand ATC will not presently relay the positions of non-performing-emitters to other aircraft, but big planes will see my Trig22 anyway. But a cheap certified GPS will come along. I'm still waiting to hear the actual cost of a TN72.

In my opinion, transponder and adsb is the best way to invest money, for gliders in the USA. Flarm is arguably better now, but that will change as lower cost adsb systems surely come along. The clinching argument (to me, that I read here on RAS) was to hear that Flarm is not useful in a gaggle, only to warn of gliders approaching the gaggle.
Old February 4th 17, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

[...]

TN72 GPS $359 & TA70 Amplified Antenna $318

Distributor says available Mid April 2017

You can preorder at http://www.craggyaero.com/trig.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 4th 17, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

Flarm is quite useful in a gaggle, while ADS-B will be completely useless. If there are 20 sailplanes in the gaggle, then just about anything looks pretty cluttered, including the view out the window. With 10 or less in a gaggle, and a good tactical display, you have excellent situational awareness.
Old February 4th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

If, theoretically, all those '10 or less in a gaggle' are equipped with ADS-B Out and In, and 'a good tactical display', will the information/warnings provided be still inferior to that of FLARM? Just curious...

Tom BravoMike

Old February 4th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 6:23:50 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:
If, theoretically, all those '10 or less in a gaggle' are equipped with ADS-B Out and In, and 'a good tactical display', will the information/warnings provided be still inferior to that of FLARM? Just curious...

Absolutely. ADS-B only provides a 3D position, so all the nearby gliders in the thermal will be considered a threat. FLARM provides a position and a predicted future position, so only potential collisions produce an alert.

5Z
Old February 4th 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

If ADS-B/In provides the 3D information, which is next used in a variety of softwa ForeFlight, iFlyGPS, XCSoar (pending, hopefully), what can stop the programmers to calculate potential collisions and give similar alerts to those of FLARM? Isn't it all about universality of the system and availability of reliable data between ALL users of the airspace: powerplanes, gliders, trikes AND drones?

Tom BravoMike

Old February 4th 17, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
If ADS-B/In provides the 3D information, which is next used in a variety of softwa ForeFlight, iFlyGPS, XCSoar (pending, hopefully), what can stop the programmers to calculate potential collisions and give similar alerts to those of FLARM? Isn't it all about universality of the system and availability of reliable data between ALL users of the airspace: powerplanes, gliders, trikes AND drones?

Tom BravoMike

BraveMike, compute power is the only thing that might stop this , but I doubt it will since hardware performance is accelerating at high rate (maybe with the exception of WGC gaggles). PowerFlarm has very low compute power, probably to keep power consumption low and to keep hardware cost low (although that has not been passed onto a consumer). When PowerFlarm was invented hardware computing power was low so they made the best algorithm possible and it worked for many years.

The drones will probably drive this market. They will have to have technology to avoid collisions. I would also think that lower cost and energy efficient transponders are going to show up as well.

Just my opinion, I can't predict the future.