Mystery of missing virgins, solved

Old March 25th 04, 04:07 PM
JJ Sinclair

Default Mystery of missing virgins, solved

Recently Zero Sinco went searching the streets of LA for a virgin to sacrifice
in his vernal equinox ceremony. after 2 weeks, John abandoned his search,
saying, "there is no virgins left in LA".

The mystery of the missing virgins has been solved. Today, an unwilling youth
with a device secured to his body, gave up without detonating his bomb. He was
carrying a voucher for 72 virgins to be used at his discretion, in heven.

The World-Wide shortage of virgins has had a detrimental affect on Jihad
recruitment and undisclosed sources indicated that if a reliable source of
virgins isn't found, soon, a *recurring virgin* status may be in the offing. It
is anticipated that each virgin may be asked to provide services to several
teen age cruse missiles.

Logged 3.2 hrs in the Genesis, last week. Got out-climbed by a para-glider. So,
there, this IS about soaring.
JJ Sinclair
Old March 26th 04, 02:29 AM
One9er

JJ,

I know you're drinking no more on the job. But please, remind us that you're
drinking no less.

Your pal,
Eagle eye II
Old March 26th 04, 09:26 PM
Gus Rasch

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message Logged 3.2 hrs in the Genesis, last week. Got out-climbed by a para-glider. So,
there, this IS about soaring.
JJ Sinclair

JJ,

Having over 250 hours in my paramotor, which is simply a self launch
capable paraglider, I have hung in there with the high performance
glass many times.

What they lack in total performance they make up for with the ability
to thermal the tightest of cores allowing you to get to the sweet spot
and absolutely peg a vario.

The other benifit of coming from hang gliders and paragliders is that
they allow you to feel and learn all the nuances of a thermal in such
detail that can never be experienced in a conventional sailplane.

With a paraglider it is truely amazing to watch and feel the wing
move, surge and respond to every little bit of lift, turbulence, shear
and sink. There is nothing quite like the initial surge as the wing
loads up and moves forward when you fly into big lift. What follows
is a virtual elevator ride with the vario screaming while you stand it
on a wing tip and try not to get spit out.

I am convinced that a season spent flying either of these lighter and
lower performance aircraft would make a better soaring pilot out of
anyone who did so. They simply have a lot to teach about the air we
fly in that cannot be experienced tucked inside of fiberglass and
lexan.

Gus Rasch
Pitts S1S
N21JF

Old March 27th 04, 12:43 AM
JJ Sinclair

Flying with the paraglider was a beautiful sight with the pilot suspended below
a long eliptical wing, tugging on the risers and grinning at me. We must have
spent an hour together, some ridge, some thermal. He was able to stay above me.
I figure his wing loading was way down around 2.5 lb/sq/ft. I needed 6K to
start a final glide back to Williams, finally got it and took off on my 33 mile
final glide. He went back to his launch ridge utilizing his 7:1 glide ratio.

It looked like fun, but I don't have the guts to do that, I NEED structure
around me.
JJ Sinclair
Old March 27th 04, 06:17 AM
Steve / Sperry

Just curious about the light wing loading of the Paragliders... I
understand that the canopy has a tendency to fold up in turbulence.
Now that has to be a rush!

I do like the idea that your aircraft will fit in your backpack...
beats having to hike back down the hill.

Steve

Old March 27th 04, 02:56 PM
Gary Boggs

Hey guys, let's get back to the virgins, OK?

--
Gary Boggs
3650 Airport Dr.

Old March 28th 04, 05:33 AM
Gus Rasch

Steve / Sperry wrote in message . ..
Just curious about the light wing loading of the Paragliders... I
understand that the canopy has a tendency to fold up in turbulence.
Now that has to be a rush!

Granted, the light wing loading and lack of structure do make the wing
capable of collapsing but...

The wings have remarkable resistance to taking collapses. In 250
hours of flying in some of the strongest Texas summer conditions I
have only taken a few and all of them have sorted themselves out
without pilot input or significant altitude loss.

Part of learning to fly these flexable wings is learning to first
avoid collapses through active piloting techniques and then to deal
with collapses and correct them if and when they do occur.

Worst case scenario... The wing has collapsed dramatically and all
attempts to fix the situation have failed miserably, I would go to
plan "B". Plan "B" is of course the chest mounted hand deployed
parachute.

Gus Rasch
Old March 28th 04, 06:06 AM
Stewart Kissel

I see these guys in the morning flying around off the
ski lifts, the ones I have talked to are very respectful
of the big mountain air. You got me curious, if you
have a collapse and decide you need to throw your reserve,
how much altitude do you need?

Old March 29th 04, 01:40 AM
Steve Pawling

There have been several documented paraglider saves from under 150
feet. It is, however, highly recommended to not push the lower
altitude limit for deployment - 500' is better. See:

http://www.hpac.ca/safety/statistics...tml#statschute

All the best,
Steve
LS-3a / Wedge Softie, FFE Preserve 1C
Arcus XL / FFE LARA 250

Mystery Solved Jeff Franks Piloting 4 August 31st 04 05:02 AM
missing man formation for Reagan Paul Hirose Military Aviation 1 June 14th 04 12:50 AM
Search for missing plane C J Campbell Piloting 2 March 4th 04 01:42 AM
Ellery Queen and the Case of the Missing Magneto Gear Teeth MikeremlaP Owning 3 July 26th 03 03:01 AM
Pan AM 747 mystery solved! Alan White Simulators 1 July 18th 03 06:29 PM