Wanted: Blank Panel for LS6

Old October 11th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron

Default Wanted: Blank Panel for LS6

I've added a lot of new goodies, mostly tacked to the existing panel. The results work well, but the panel is messy. Time for a refit.
Old October 11th 12, 09:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
folken

You can get carbon fibre panels at http://www.pimp-my-glider.com/ (no joke). ( I'm not affiliated, nor do i have any experience with them yet.)
Old October 11th 12, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, 10 October 2012 23:34:56 UTC-4, Matt Herron wrote:
I've added a lot of new goodies, mostly tacked to the existing panel. The results work well, but the panel is messy. Time for a refit.

Solaire.com has some on his site
S6
Old October 11th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

A few years ago I bought a (subdued) PMG panel from Wings & Wheels for my LS8. It is nicely made, has high quality, and fits perfectly. It's a good way around the DG "tax" on panels.

-john
Old October 11th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:41:46 AM UTC-5, folken wrote:
You can get carbon fibre panels at http://www.pimp-my-glider.com/ (no joke). ( I'm not affiliated, nor do i have any experience with them yet.)

Question - Should a panel be made solely of carbon fiber? I know it is strong/light but what might happen if my head hits it? Fibers imbedded in the skull? Is this better/worse than my fiberglass panel (DG)? I have seen aluminum backed carbon fiber panels which seems better - but do I want to hit aluminum. Or how about using the 3M "carbon fiber" (not real) film used in the auto industry? Lots o' questions!
Old October 11th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

I think that you mean http://www.solairecanada.com/
Old October 11th 12, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

what might happen if my head hits it?

I am not endorsing this product just a general observation; if you are
in a situation where you are able hit your head on the instrument panel
while strapped in with a 4/5 point harness you probably won't have to
worry about what happens to your head.

Cheers,
Luke
Old October 11th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

I would think hard about a carbon (or metalfor that matter) panel. If you crash and the panel breaks, you will have a very sharp edge immediately adjacent to the inside of your leg.

A layer of carbon on the front and one on the back will provide stiffness without increasing the risk of bleeding out after a crash.
Old October 12th 12, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:34:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron wrote:
I've added a lot of new goodies, mostly tacked to the existing panel. The results work well, but the panel is messy. Time for a refit.

I checked with Solaire Canada and was told that since DG now requires a service contract for all parts, they no longer support LS sailplanes.
Old October 12th 12, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, October 12, 2012 2:18:29 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
"I checked with Solaire Canada and was told that since DG now requires a service contract for all parts, they no longer support LS sailplanes."

I hope DG goes out of business. Then we will probably get better service for our LS (Not DG!) gliders.

Instead of the current extortion system.

Kirk
66